Is this a more accurate representation of a molecule?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between two versions of a chemical formula, where one version may be misleading in terms of the bonds between atoms. The expert explains that the squiggly lines in the formula represent groups of atoms, not specific atoms, and this information is not lost because it is clear which atoms are connected. The person speaking agrees to stop using the incorrect version.
Matt204823545
TL;DR Summary
Is this more accurate than this?
20200707_215307.jpg

I see the top version used everywhere. But isn't the bottom version better? Because the top version makes it seem like H2 bonds with the C to its right and the other H2 bonds with the N. Whereas the bottom version shows the bonds correctly. Should I draw it like the top version and stop annoying myself with the bottom version?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Matt204823545 said:
Because the top version makes it seem like H2 bonds with the C to its right and the other H2 bonds with the N.

-CH2- is identical with -(CH2)-

The bonds in the formula connect groups of atoms - not specific atoms within the groups. This information gets lost by using this type of formula. But that is not a problem because it is quite clear which atoms are actually connected.

Likes Matt204823545
DrStupid said:
-CH2- is identical with -(CH2)-

The bonds in the formula connect groups of atoms - not specific atoms within the groups. This information gets lost by using this type of formula. But that is not a problem because it is quite clear which atoms are actually connected.

Ok thanks, I'll stop annoying myself with the squiggly lines lol

• Haha
Likes Tom.G

1. What is a molecule?

A molecule is a group of two or more atoms bonded together chemically. It is the smallest unit of a chemical compound that can participate in a chemical reaction.

2. How is a molecule represented?

A molecule can be represented in various ways, such as a structural formula, a ball-and-stick model, or a space-filling model. These representations show the arrangement of atoms and the bonds between them.

3. Why is accuracy important in representing a molecule?

Accurate representation of a molecule is important because it allows scientists to understand the structure and properties of the molecule, which can then be used to predict its behavior and interactions with other molecules.

4. How can a molecule be accurately represented?

A molecule can be accurately represented by using advanced imaging techniques such as X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods provide detailed information about the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule.

5. Can a molecule have different accurate representations?

Yes, a molecule can have different accurate representations depending on the level of detail needed. For example, a structural formula may be sufficient for basic understanding, while a space-filling model may be necessary for more complex analysis.