Is this a valid derivation of the Uncertainty Principle?

In summary, The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the product of the uncertainties in a particle's position and momentum must be greater than or equal to a constant value, h. While there are more rigorous derivations of this principle using Fourier analysis and Schwarz inequality, this simple derivation presented in a college introductory quantum book can serve as a starting point to understand the concept. However, it should not be taken as a complete explanation of the principle as it relies on certain assumptions and does not fully describe the particle's position. More in-depth analyses and context can be found in resources such as Sakurai's book and lecture notes on quantum physics.
patric44
Homework Statement:: i saw this simple derivation of the uncertainty principle in my college introductory quantum book
Relevant Equations:: Δp.Δx = h

hi guys
i saw this derivation of the uncertainty principle in my college quantum book , but the derivation seems very simple and sloppy , i mean the i saw multiple derivations of the uncertainty principle using Fourier analysis and Schwarz inequality and so on , so this derivation seems so simple to be true ?!
the derivation goes like this :
uncertainty .jpg

assume that the wave function of the particle is given by this figure , then the uncertainty of the position
$$Δx = \frac{λ_{m}}{2}$$
this can be written as :
$$λ_{m} = \frac{2\pi}{\frac{1}{2}Δk} ⇒$$
$$Δx = \frac{2\pi}{Δk}$$
and since
$$k = \frac{2\pi}{h}p ⇒ Δk = \frac{2\pi}{h}Δp ⇒ Δp = \frac{h}{2\pi}Δk $$
and so :
$$ΔxΔp = h$$

my objection is that the derivation seems very simple , and that the wave function itself don't describe the position of the particle as it was stated ?! so is this a valid but rather crude derivation of the uncertainty principle or its a nonsense ! and why .

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you so much these notes seems awesome

The problem is that the meaning of the principle you already included in your assumptions when you set :
\Delta x = \frac{\lambda}{2}.
From there you can do whatever you want. Take a look to the Sakurai and check the obtaining of the principle from scratch

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and randomness of subatomic particles.

2. Why is the Uncertainty Principle important?

The Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a fundamental limit on our ability to measure and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has significant implications for fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

3. What is a valid derivation of the Uncertainty Principle?

A valid derivation of the Uncertainty Principle is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between position and momentum uncertainties in quantum mechanics. This can be done using principles of wave mechanics and statistical analysis.

4. How was the Uncertainty Principle discovered?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He developed the principle while working on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics and it was later confirmed through experiments and observations.

5. Can the Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been verified through numerous experiments. It is not possible to violate this principle as it is inherent to the behavior of particles at the quantum level.