Is this a well-formed set-builder notation?

In summary, the sets $A$ and $C$ are equivalent, but $B$ is not equivalent as it is not a well-formed set-builder notation.
Dethrone
Are these three sets equivalent?

$$A=\left\{(x,y):x,y\in\Bbb{R},y\ge x^2-1\right\}$$
$$B=\left\{x,y\in\Bbb{R}:y\ge x^2-1\right\}$$
$$C=\left\{(x,y)\in\Bbb{R}^2:y\ge x^2-1\right\}$$

I am thinking that $A$ and $C$ are, but not $B$ as it might be ambigious as to which dimension it is in, i.e it could be in $\Bbb{R}^3$, where any value of $z$ will satisfy. Am I right? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:

$$A=\left\{(x,y):x,y\in\Bbb{R},y\ge x^2-1\right\}$$
$$C=\left\{(x,y)\in\Bbb{R}^2:y\ge x^2-1\right\}$$

I am thinking that $A$ and $C$ are, but not $B$ as it might be ambigious as to which dimension it is in, i.e it could be in $\Bbb{R}^3$, where any value of $z$ will satisfy. Am I right? :D

(Wave) Happy new year! (Party)

Yes, you are right.

At the set $A$ we have the ordered pair $(x,y)$ such that $x,y \in \mathbb{R}$ so it is meant that $(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2$.
The set $B$ isn't equivalent to the other two because of the fact that at the sets $A,C$ we consider an ordered pair and and so the order in which the objects appear is significant, but for the set $B$ this doesn't hold.
For example, if we are given $x=5$, $y=1$, we check if $(5,1) \in A$ that does not hold since it doesn't hold that $1 \geq 5^2-1$.
For the set $B$ we check if $y \geq x^2-1$ which holds by taking $y=5$ and $x=1$.

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Sets can be equal, and definitions can be equivalent.

Rido12 said:
This is not a well-formed set-builder notation. A well-formed notation has the form $\{x\mid P(x)\}$, $\{x\in A\mid P(x)\}$ or $\{f(x)\mid P(x)\}$, but not $\{x,y\in A\mid P(x,y)\}$.

Related to Is this a well-formed set-builder notation?

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, which are grouped together by a common property or characteristic. Sets are denoted by curly braces { } and the elements are separated by commas.

2. What is an element?

An element is an individual object that belongs to a set. It can be a number, letter, word, or any other type of object. Each element in a set is unique and can only appear once.

3. What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set, while a proper subset is a subset that does not contain all the elements of the original set. In other words, a proper subset is a subset that is smaller in size than the original set.

4. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set S = {1, 2, 3}, then its cardinality is 3.

5. What is the power set of a set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set, including the empty set and the set itself. It is denoted by P(S), where S is the original set. For example, if S = {a, b}, then the power set of S is P(S) = {{}, {a}, {b}, {a, b}}.