Cartesian Product of Non-Real Sets

In summary, if $A$ is a set and $B$ is a subset of $A$, then $A X B$ is the set of all ordered pairs (x, y) where x is in $A$ and y is in $B$. However, if $A$ contains elements that are not in $\Bbb{R}$, then $A X B$ is not defined.
Dethrone
Suppose we have the sets $A=\left\{2,3\right\}$ and $B=\left\{5\right\}$, then $A$ X $B$ is defined as $\left\{(x,y)|x \in A, y\in B\right\}=\left\{(2,5), (3,5)\right\}$. But what happens when $A$ contains elements that are not in $\Bbb{R}$?

Example:
$A=\left\{(2,3),(3,4)\right\}\subset \Bbb{R}^2$ and $B=\left\{(3,2,5)\right\}\subset \Bbb{R}^3$, then following the same definition as above, we have $A$ X $B=\left\{((2,3),(3,2,5)), ((3,4),(3,2,5))\right\}$, but my book tells me that $A$ X $B$ should have elements in $\Bbb{R}^5$. Did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rido12,

You haven't made a mistake. Your elements belong to $\Bbb R^5$: $((2,3), (3,2,5)) = (2,3,3,2,5)$ and $((3,4),(3,2,5)) = (3,4,3,2,5)$.

Hey Rido! (Happy)

Strictly speaking they are not the same, but they are isomorphic (literally meaning same shape with symbol ≅).

Note that:
$$\mathbb R^2 \times \mathbb R^3 = (\mathbb R \times \mathbb R) \times (\mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R)
≅ \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R
= \mathbb R^5
$$
Anyway, it boils down to the same thing and the distinction is often not made.

I like Serena said:
Hey Rido! (Happy)

Strictly speaking they are not the same, but they are isomorphic (literally meaning same shape with symbol ≅).

Note that:
$$\mathbb R^2 \times \mathbb R^3 = (\mathbb R \times \mathbb R) \times (\mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R)
≅ \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \times \mathbb R
= \mathbb R^5
$$
Anyway, it boils down to the same thing and the distinction is often not made.

Thanks for making this note. I assumed that in the book, a tuple made of up an $m$-tuple and an $n$-tuple is an $(m + n)$-tuple. However, that needs to be made explicitly clear in the text, for otherwise we consider them as different objects.

Hey ILS and Euge,

Thanks for clarifying my confusion! That is interesting to know. :D

Related to Cartesian Product of Non-Real Sets

1. What is the definition of a Cartesian product of non-real sets?

The Cartesian product of two non-real sets A and B is the set of all ordered pairs (a,b) where a is an element of A and b is an element of B.

2. Why is the Cartesian product of non-real sets important in mathematics?

The Cartesian product allows us to combine elements from different sets to create a new set, which is useful in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, algebra, and geometry.

3. Can the Cartesian product of non-real sets be infinite?

Yes, the Cartesian product of non-real sets can be infinite if the original sets are infinite. For example, the Cartesian product of the set of all even numbers and the set of all prime numbers is an infinite set.

4. How is the Cartesian product of non-real sets related to the Cartesian coordinate system?

The Cartesian product of two non-real sets is the foundation of the Cartesian coordinate system, where the x-axis represents one set and the y-axis represents the other set. This system allows us to graphically represent and analyze relationships between two sets.

5. Can the Cartesian product of non-real sets be empty?

Yes, the Cartesian product of two non-real sets can be empty if one or both of the original sets are empty. For example, the Cartesian product of the empty set and any other set is always empty.