Is This Approach Valid for Proving the Discrete Metric in a Metric Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving metric spaces and the definition of a metric. The proof shows that for any three elements in a metric space, the distance between two of them is less than or equal to the sum of their individual distances to a third element. The approach presented in the conversation is considered valid as it covers all possible cases.
Terrell

Homework Statement

Let ##x,y\in X## such that ##X## is a metric space. Let ##d(x,y)=0## if and only if ##x=y## and ##d(x,y)=1## if and only if ##x\neq y##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already seen various approaches in proving this. Although, I just want to know if this approach of mine is also valid.

Proof:
We want to show that ##\forall x,y,z\in X##, ##d(x,y)\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)##.
If ##d(x,z)=1##, then ##1\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)\leq 2##. But since ##0\leq d(x,y)\leq 1##, then ##d(x,y)\leq 1\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)\leq 2##. However, if ##d(x,z)=0=d(z,y)##, then ##d(x,y)=0=d(x,z)+d(z,y)##. Hence, the result follows.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:

Homework Statement

Let ##x,y\in X## such that ##X## is a metric space. Let ##d(x,y)=0## if and only if ##x=y## and ##d(x,y)=1## if and only if ##x\neq y##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already seen various approaches in proving this. Although, I just want to know if this approach of mine is also valid.

Proof:
We want to show that ##\forall x,y,z\in X##, ##d(x,y)\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)##.
If ##d(x,z)=1##, then ##1\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)\leq 2##. But since ##0\leq d(x,y)\leq 1##, then ##d(x,y)\leq 1\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)\leq 2##. However, if ##d(x,z)=0=d(z,y)##, then ##d(x,y)=0=d(x,z)+d(z,y)##. Hence, the result follows.
Not really a lot to say. If you consider all cases, you are done. Seems like you did that, so you are fine.

Likes Terrell
Math_QED said:
Not really a lot to say. If you consider all cases, you are done. Seems like you did that, so you are fine.
Thanks! I had it on an exam earlier, just couldn't get my head off it if I got it right or not. lol.

What is the discrete metric?

The discrete metric is a way of measuring the distance between two points in a set. It is defined as 1 if the points are different and 0 if they are the same.

How is the discrete metric different from other metrics?

The discrete metric is distinct from other metrics because it only considers the difference between two points, rather than their actual values. This means that the distance between any two distinct points is always 1, regardless of their underlying values.

Why is the discrete metric important in mathematics?

The discrete metric is important in mathematics because it allows for the study of discrete structures, which are objects that have a countable or finite number of elements. This includes topics such as combinatorics, graph theory, and discrete dynamical systems.

Is the discrete metric always a metric?

Yes, the discrete metric is always a metric. In order for a metric to be valid, it must satisfy three conditions: non-negativity, identity of indiscernibles, and the triangle inequality. The discrete metric satisfies all of these conditions, making it a valid metric.

How is the discrete metric used in real-world applications?

The discrete metric has applications in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and biology. For example, in computer science, it is used to measure the distance between data points in clustering algorithms. In biology, it is used to measure the genetic distance between organisms.