Is this microscope good for looking at cells and other small things?

• Thread starter labprofess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential purchase of a microscope with 2500x magnification and a 3MP camera for viewing cells and other small objects. The speaker has not personally used the microscope but is impressed by its specs and believes it will be a successful choice for the planned use. However, they mention potential issues with mechanical stiffness and backlash in the z-stage, as well as the lack of phase contrast or darkfield capabilities. They also suggest purchasing upgraded lenses for better quality images.
labprofess
Hi all

So I am planning to save up for this microscope because I am trying to 'upgrade' from my microscope whos max magnification is 1000x (keep in mind Its not clear at max the highest it would be a good image at is 500x)
http://www.amscope.com/40x-2500x-le...d-microscope-w-3d-stage-1-3mp-usb-camera.html

This is exactly a microscope I am searching for, correct magnification and camera but anyone ever used this? Is it a good microscope? And how is it at the max magnification?

(Not sure if important but mostly going to look at cells (human cells and plant cells) and other small things (sperm,etc.)

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
I never used this microscope but I just looked at the list of specs and I am impressed. The x2500 magnification is quite impressive and with half price discount, I would say this is a very successful choice. For your planned use, this will be an excellent choice. Good luck and let me know how it goes once you use it.

They also sell a 3MP camera. I would highly suggest getting the upgraded camera.

BoB

SciencewithDrJ said:
I never used this microscope but I just looked at the list of specs and I am impressed. The x2500 magnification is quite impressive and with half price discount, I would say this is a very successful choice. For your planned use, this will be an excellent choice. Good luck and let me know how it goes once you use it.

will do

labprofess said:
Hi all

So I am planning to save up for this microscope because I am trying to 'upgrade' from my microscope whos max magnification is 1000x (keep in mind Its not clear at max the highest it would be a good image at is 500x)
http://www.amscope.com/40x-2500x-le...d-microscope-w-3d-stage-1-3mp-usb-camera.html

This is exactly a microscope I am searching for, correct magnification and camera but anyone ever used this? Is it a good microscope? And how is it at the max magnification?

(Not sure if important but mostly going to look at cells (human cells and plant cells) and other small things (sperm,etc.)

Thanks!

I like that it has a substage condenser, with the ability to align and focus the condenser lens, and I like the use of LED illumination. However, I suspect the microscope and stage itself aren't sufficiently mechanically stiff- vibrations will severely impact your ability to perform high-magnification imaging. Also, the z-stage will possibly have a lot of backlash, making fine focusing a headache.

The objectives all seem very 'standard', it's unclear what their quality is. The good news is that you can get replacements that will work better for very little money on ebay.

Looks like this is a very reasonably priced microscope, however I would expect it to only be very useful for looking at stained section, or things already colored like blood smears on slides.

It does not have (as far as I can tell) any phase contrast of darkfield capabilities. It would therefore not be too useful for looking at unstained material, many aspects of which are revealed through phase contrast or darkfield illumination. This rules out looking at things like pondwater without some kind of treatment.

I am not sure how well these higher magnification lenses would work with using oil immersion lenses, which they don't appear to be. They may just produce kinda blurry images.

1. Is this microscope suitable for my research needs?

The suitability of a microscope depends on your specific research needs. Some factors to consider when determining if a microscope is good for your research include magnification power, resolution, and compatibility with necessary accessories.

2. What is the resolution of this microscope?

The resolution of a microscope refers to its ability to distinguish fine details. This can vary depending on the type and quality of the microscope, but generally, a good microscope should have a resolution of at least 0.2 micrometers.

3. How do I know if the optics of this microscope are of good quality?

The quality of the optics in a microscope is crucial for producing clear and accurate images. To determine if the optics are of good quality, look for features such as high-quality lenses, anti-reflective coatings, and adjustable focus and magnification options.

4. What is the difference between a compound and stereo microscope?

A compound microscope is used for viewing thin, transparent specimens, while a stereo microscope is better suited for viewing larger, opaque objects. The main difference between the two is the way they produce the image, with a compound microscope using transmitted light and a stereo microscope using reflected light.

5. Are there any maintenance or care instructions for this microscope?

Proper maintenance and care are essential for keeping a microscope in good working condition. Some common maintenance tasks include cleaning the lenses and stage, avoiding excessive heat and moisture, and storing the microscope in a dust-free environment. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for specific care guidelines.