Is This Perpetual Motion Machine Really Possible?

In summary, the article talks about a new perpetual motion machine that uses toast as a power source. The machine has been tested and found to be flawed, as the cat always lands on its feet.
tribdog
I just read about a new perpetual motion machine and it looks like it will work. You take a cat and tie a piece of toast on to its back. then you butter the toast and toss the cat into the air. Since the toast has to land butter side down and the cat always lands on its feet it spins forever.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it would spin forever, because eventually the cat will die (:frown:) and dead cats don't have to land on their feet.

When the cat hits the ground the toast hasn't really landed. Thus once again confirming that the laws of physics do hold!

That theory about toast always landing butter side down is just a myth. The chances of landing butter side down depend on the ratio between table height and toast length.

For a standard 5" piece of toast, the chances of landing butter side down is only better than 50% if the table is between 12 inches high and 110 inches high (approximately). The chances are better than 90% between 30 inches high and 70 inches high.

If you use a larger piece of toast, say a 12" piece of toast, the chances of landing butter side down are better than 50% when the table height is between 30 inches high and, uh, really high. The chances of landing butter side down are better than 90% when the table height is between 75 inches high and 170 inches high.

And, naturally, that assumes a perfect landing surface that will absorb virtually all of the bounce. The worse the landing surface, the more likely you are to get a lucky bounce and have the bread land butter side up.

Would it help if the cat was tossed onto a trampoline??:biggrin:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Cat-Toast_Device

Focus said:
When the cat hits the ground the toast hasn't really landed. Thus once again confirming that the laws of physics do hold!

Well at least the laws of statistics are broken, given that the cat always hits the ground instead of butter. I think we have an infinite improbability drive here, not a perpetual motion machine.

humanino said:
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Cat-Toast_Device

The link in that article details experimentation on toast droppings: http://cockeyed.com/science/toast/toast1.html. They're bad at math (2/20 is a 10% survival rate, not a 5% survival rate), but that might just be a side effect of sticking a knife in the toaster to free a stuck piece of toast. I don't think Brooke paid enough attention to making the sure the plate was always at the same angle, either. A better test would have been to slowly push the toast towards the edge of the table until its center of gravity was just beyond the table edge. I think that would have gotten more consistent results.

All in all, I'm not even sure they're scientists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never dropped a piece of toast off of a table. I don't even know how that's possible. I've only dropped it out of my hand either because it is too hot, in which case I haven't buttered it yet, or when I was in the process of buttering it.

tribdog said:
I've never dropped a piece of toast off of a table. I don't even know how that's possible. I've only dropped it out of my hand either because it is too hot, in which case I haven't buttered it yet, or when I was in the process of buttering it.

Personally, I avoid those problems by buttering and spreading jam on the bread before inserting it into the toaster. It's a good toaster, too, except the side with the butter and jam tends to stick to the ceiling.

There must be an exception to the rule here, if one is holding the toast and it breaks i sure 9 times out 10 it will fall butter side down.

BobG said:
And, naturally, that assumes a perfect landing surface that will absorb virtually all of the bounce. The worse the landing surface, the more likely you are to get a lucky bounce and have the bread land butter side up.

It's the bounce that gives the buttered side the advantage. If the dry side hits first, you get a bounce to flip it to the buttered side. If the buttered side hits first, it'll stick to the floor and reduce the chances of bounce to negligible.

Okay, I just tried to perform the experiment. Unfortunately, this cat rather likes the toast and won't cooperate as needed. Now she's in a temporary state of perpetual licking.

OAQfirst said:
Okay, I just tried to perform the experiment. Unfortunately, this cat rather likes the toast and won't cooperate as needed. Now she's in a temporary state of perpetual licking.

Thank God for that, they forgot to mention that if the theory is true then the buttercat will turn into a black-hole.

What is a Perpetual Motion Machine?

A Perpetual Motion Machine is a hypothetical device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source. It would essentially create energy from nothing, which goes against the laws of thermodynamics.

Is it possible to create a Perpetual Motion Machine?

No, according to scientific principles and laws, it is not possible to create a Perpetual Motion Machine. The laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

Have any Perpetual Motion Machines been successfully created?

No, despite many attempts throughout history, no Perpetual Motion Machine has been successfully created. Many have been debunked and proven to be based on false claims or misunderstandings of scientific principles.

Why do people still try to create Perpetual Motion Machines?

People are often intrigued by the idea of a machine that can run forever, and some may believe that they have discovered a way to bypass the laws of thermodynamics. However, most attempts are based on faulty reasoning or a lack of understanding of fundamental scientific principles.

What are the potential dangers of pursuing Perpetual Motion Machines?

Aside from the fact that it is impossible to create a Perpetual Motion Machine, pursuing this idea can waste valuable time, resources, and funding that could be better used for more productive and scientifically sound research. It can also perpetuate false information and spread misconceptions about science and technology.