Could This Beach Find in Italy Be a Meteorite?

In summary, a person found a rock on a beach in Italy and believes it to be a meteorite, but upon further examination and expert opinions, it is unlikely that it is a meteorite due to its appearance and presence of certain minerals. The owner intends to get it certified, but it is unlikely to receive certification as it does not meet the criteria for a meteorite.
Aidan
Hello! My friend found a rock on a beach near Ancona, in central Italy, and now he's convinced it's a meteorite. I have some doubts, however: it looks too cracky and porous. I'm attaching a few pictures of the rock: could someone give me an opinion?

Thank you very much for the kind attention,
Stefania

Attachments

• IMG_9304.JPG
    IMG_9304.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9418.JPG
    IMG_9418.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 220827123800179.jpg
    220827123800179.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 105
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
@davenn is our meteorite expert.

Likes davenn, pinball1970, berkeman and 1 other person
By "porous" do you mean there are voids inside the rock?
The white-ish mineral - is that quartz?

Likes Aidan
I actually have more detailed images of the inner surface of the rock, because, as you can see, it craked in different fragments.

Attachments

• cavity.jpg
    cavity.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 116
  • white.jpg
    white.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 128
  • whity2.jpg
    whity2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 109
Also, if it can help, the rock was found near (1,3 km away) an oil refinery.

1. It could be a local coarse grained sedimentary rock, rounded in a stream or on the beach. The small stones that make up the rock were rounded during the original deposition. The layering of grain size suggests a river deposit with some flood events depositing the biggest grains.

2. Maybe a rock from a volcanic cone, stratified and then weathered. Ignimbrite? But that is not where I would expect a local volcano. How far from Vesuvius?

3. It is deeply weathered and appears to have iron oxide staining. Maybe it is waste from an iron refinery, that was dumped to make a sea wall.

4. It might be a ship's ballast, dumped before an empty ship was loaded in the local port. It could have come from any port on the Mediterranean, over the last 3000 years.

5. I think meteorite is unlikely because of the stratification and the rounded grains.

Did you look for other similar rocks nearby on the beach ?
Was the area glaciated in the last ice age ?
Does it contain metal ?
Is it magnetic ?

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Aidan
Hi, thanks for the detailed answer! The owner of the rock intends to get it certified as a metheorite, so he'll seek a professional. I'll keep you posted when something comes up.
The place where he found it was a rocky beach, but the rocks come from somewhere else, since they were planted there in order to mitigate coastal erosion. And yes, there is a river nearby, but no volcano. The rock is only very very slightly magnetic.

Anyway, I really find the subject fascinating: the "ingredients" in the universe are the same (pace Aristotle), but the process of a rock formation are made visibile, to an expert eye, in different manners, which makes possibile to ascertain a terrestrial or an extraterrestrial origin. I think that a geology book is mandatory to investigate the topic.

Aidan said:
Hello! My friend found a rock on a beach near Ancona, in central Italy, and now he's convinced it's a meteorite. I have some doubts, however: it looks too cracky and porous. I'm attaching a few pictures of the rock: could someone give me an opinion?

Thank you very much for the kind attention,
Stefania

hi you Stefania

OK first up, I don't see any evidence of any of them being a meteorite
OK let's look at each in turn :)

1662022160531.png

1) this one looks very volcanic in origin ... vesicles ( gas bubble holes) are a dead giveaway that it isn't a meteorite
1662022270383.png

2) tho this appears to have objects that are similar to chondrules - I would like to see a closer look
I suspect they may be crystal vugs and again the sample appears to have vesicles
1662022408276.png

3) No, definitely not. This sample appears to be full of quartz or other white minerals
you would never see a meteorite looking so white like that
1662022842826.png

4) I have no idea of the scale of this image, tho it appears to be well magnified
It also doe
snt have the looks of a meteorite
Aidan said:
The owner of the rock intends to get it certified as a metheorite, so he'll seek a professional.

I can pretty much guarantee that they won't get certification
Any professional or semi pro in meteorites like myself would dismiss them immediately
Ohhh and certification costs reasonable amounts of money :)
Personally, I wouldn't want to waste the time of a lab to look at them.
Not a lot of point taking them to an average geologist either, most of them wouldn't know what a meteorite looks like ;)

I have been collecting and studying them for ~ 30 years, have over 270 meteorites in my collection from all over the world
and of all sorts of different types

here's one of my threads on meteorites ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/adding-more-meteorites-to-my-collection.986095/

best regards
Dave

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Vanadium 50, pinball1970 and 2 others

1. What is the difference between a meteorite and a common rock?

A meteorite is a piece of debris from outer space that has survived its journey through Earth's atmosphere and landed on the surface. A common rock, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring solid composed of minerals or mineral-like substances. The main difference between the two is their origin, with meteorites coming from outer space and common rocks forming on Earth.

2. How can I tell if a rock is a meteorite?

There are a few characteristics that can help identify a meteorite. These include a dark, often black, exterior due to the intense heat of entering Earth's atmosphere, a smooth surface with small pits called regmaglypts, and a high density compared to most common rocks. Additionally, a magnet can be used to test for the presence of iron, which is common in meteorites.

3. Are all meteorites valuable?

No, not all meteorites are valuable. The value of a meteorite depends on its rarity, composition, and size. Some meteorites can be worth thousands of dollars, while others may only be worth a few dollars. It is important to note that it is illegal to collect meteorites on public lands without proper permits.

4. Can a meteorite cause damage when it falls to Earth?

Yes, a meteorite can cause damage when it falls to Earth. The size and speed of the meteorite play a significant role in the potential damage it can cause. Small meteorites may create a small crater or cause minor damage, while larger meteorites can cause significant destruction, such as the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs millions of years ago.

5. How do scientists study meteorites?

Scientists study meteorites by analyzing their composition and structure. This can be done through various techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and chemical analysis. By studying meteorites, scientists can gain insight into the formation and evolution of our solar system and the materials that make up the universe.