Is This Set Theory Proof Correct?

In summary, the statement (A \setminus B) \cap (C \setminus B) = A \setminus (B \cup C) is false, as proven by the counterexample A = {1,2,3}, B = {2,3}, and C = {1,2}, which results in (A \setminus B) \cap (C \setminus B) = {1} and A \setminus (B \cup C) = ∅, showing that {1} ≠ ∅.
lus1450

Homework Statement

For all sets A, B, and C, prove or provide a counterexample the following statements.
(A [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) [itex]\cap[/itex] (C [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) = A [itex]\setminus[/itex] (B [itex]\cup[/itex] C).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and said it was false, and provided a counter example. I'm new to this and just want to make sure my thought process was correct and the statement is indeed false.
Counterexample:
Let A = {1,2,3}, B = {2,3}, and C = {1,2}.
A [itex]\setminus[/itex] B = {1} and C [itex]\setminus[/itex] B = {1}. Then (A [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) [itex]\cap[/itex] (C [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) = {1}.
B [itex]\cup[/itex] C = {1,2,3}. Then A [itex]\setminus[/itex] (B [itex]\cup[/itex] C) = {0}. Since {1} ≠ {0}, the statement is false.

It's more the last part, i.e. "Then A [itex]\setminus[/itex] (B [itex]\cup[/itex] C) = {0}" I want to make sure is correct. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaculus said:

Homework Statement

For all sets A, B, and C, prove or provide a counterexample the following statements.
(A [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) [itex]\cap[/itex] (C [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) = A [itex]\setminus[/itex] (B [itex]\cup[/itex] C).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and said it was false, and provided a counter example. I'm new to this and just want to make sure my thought process was correct and the statement is indeed false.
Counterexample:
Let A = {1,2,3}, B = {2,3}, and C = {1,2}.
A [itex]\setminus[/itex] B = {1} and C [itex]\setminus[/itex] B = {1}. Then (A [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) [itex]\cap[/itex] (C [itex]\setminus[/itex] B) = {1}.
B [itex]\cup[/itex] C = {1,2,3}. Then A [itex]\setminus[/itex] (B [itex]\cup[/itex] C) = {0}. Since {1} ≠ {0}, the statement is false.
This is almost right. Your notation {0} is incorrect. That refers to a set containing one element, the number 0. What you want is [itex]\emptyset[/itex], the empty set.

Aside from that your counterexample looks fine.

I meant the empty set, but I guess 0 would be element and not empty. Thanks for telling the difference, I won't make that same mistake again.

If you want to use "regular" set notation, rather than ∅, it would be "{}", not "{0}".

Related to Is This Set Theory Proof Correct?

1. What is an elementary proof?

An elementary proof is a mathematical proof that uses basic axioms and logical deductions to demonstrate the truth of a mathematical statement. It does not rely on advanced or specialized mathematical concepts.

2. Why is it important to check and verify elementary proofs?

Checking and verifying elementary proofs is important to ensure the accuracy and validity of mathematical arguments. It helps prevent errors and false claims from being accepted as true, and contributes to the overall integrity and reliability of mathematical research.

3. How can I check if my elementary proof is correct?

One way to check the correctness of an elementary proof is to carefully review each step and make sure it follows logically from the previous steps. You can also try to find counterexamples or exceptions to the statement being proved.

4. When should I seek help with an elementary proof?

If you are struggling to find a correct proof or are unsure about the validity of your proof, it is a good idea to seek help from a more experienced mathematician. This can help you identify errors or gaps in your logic and improve your understanding of the concept.

5. Are there any tips for writing a clear and concise elementary proof?

Yes, here are a few tips for writing a clear and concise elementary proof: 1) Clearly state your assumptions and definitions at the beginning. 2) Use simple and precise language. 3) Break the proof into smaller steps. 4) Provide explanations for each step and use visual aids if necessary. 5) Proofread and revise your proof for clarity and accuracy.