Set Theory: Power sets of Unions

In summary, the mistake in the attempted proof was either a misuse of quantifiers or a misunderstanding of basic logic. By following the "proof" through with an example, the false steps can be easily identified.
WWCY

Homework Statement

I'm having issues understanding a mistake that I'm making, any assistance is appreciated! I know a counterexample but my attempt at proving the proposition is what's troubling me.

Prove or disprove
$$P(A \cup B) \subseteq P(A) \cup P(B) $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##C## be an particularly, arbitrarily picked element of element of ##P(A \cup B)##
Then by definition of a powerset
$$C \subseteq A \cup B$$
This means that
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \cup B$$
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \ \text{or} \ x \in B \ \ \ \ ^{**} $$
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \ \text{or} \ \ \ \forall x \in C , x \in B \ \ \ \ ^{**}$$

Then ##C \subseteq A## or ##C \subseteq B ## and thus ##C \in P(A) \ \text{or} \ C \in P(B)## and ##C \subseteq P(A) \cup P(B)##. The bits I left the asterisks were where I felt I made some error.

But, in a proof of a similar problem: ##P(A \cap B) \subseteq P(A) \cap P(B) ##, I wrote
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \cap B$$
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \ \text{and} \ \forall x \in C, x \in B $$
Then ##C \subseteq A## and ##C \subseteq B ##, and thus ##C \in P(A) \ \text{and} \ C \in P(B)##, and ##C \subseteq P(A) \cap P(B)##. This gave me the right answer.

Why did the first one give me the wrong answer while the second one gave a right one?

PS It would be nice if the explanation isn't too technical as it's my first course on the subject. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:

Homework Statement

I'm having issues understanding a mistake that I'm making, any assistance is appreciated! I know a counterexample but my attempt at proving the proposition is what's troubling me.

Prove or disprove
$$P(A \cup B) \subseteq P(A) \cup P(B) $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##C## be an particularly, arbitrarily picked element of element of ##P(A \cup B)##
Then by definition of a powerset
$$C \subseteq A \cup B$$
This means that
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \cup B$$
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \ \text{or} \ x \in B \ \ \ \ ^{**} $$
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \ \text{or} \ \ \ \forall x \in C , x \in B \ \ \ \ ^{**}$$

Then ##C \subseteq A## or ##C \subseteq B ## and thus ##C \in P(A) \ \text{or} \ C \in P(B)## and ##C \subseteq P(A) \cup P(B)##. The bits I left the asterisks were where I felt I made some error.

But, in a proof of a similar problem: ##P(A \cap B) \subseteq P(A) \cap P(B) ##, I wrote
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \cap B$$
$$\forall x \in C, \ x \in A \ \text{and} \ \forall x \in C, x \in B $$
Then ##C \subseteq A## and ##C \subseteq B ##, and thus ##C \in P(A) \ \text{and} \ C \in P(B)##, and ##C \subseteq P(A) \cap P(B)##. This gave me the right answer.

Why did the first one give me the wrong answer while the second one gave a right one?

PS It would be nice if the explanation isn't too technical as it's my first course on the subject. Thanks!

You can't start with ##C \subseteq A \cup B## and conclude that ##C \subseteq A## or ##C \subseteq B##.

You should be able to find a counterexample to that.

Or, draw a Venn diagram. For example, with disjoint ##A## and ##B##.

Thanks for your response!

PeroK said:
You can't start with ##C \subseteq A \cup B## and conclude that ##C \subseteq A## or ##C \subseteq B##.

You should be able to find a counterexample to that.

Or, draw a Venn diagram. For example, with disjoint ##A## and ##B##.
Ah, I see it now. Was my mistake down to the misuse of quantifiers?

WWCY said:
Thanks for your response!

Ah, I see it now. Was my mistake down to the misuse of quantifiers?

The mistake is either one of logic or of dissociating the use of quantifiers from basic logic. The false steps should be easy to find if you follow the "proof" through with an example.

1. What is a power set?

A power set is a set that contains all the possible subsets of a given set. In other words, it is a set of all the combinations of elements that can be created from the original set.

2. What is a union of sets?

A union of sets is a set that contains all the elements that are in either or both of the original sets. In other words, it combines all the elements from two or more sets into one set without any duplicates.

3. How do you find the power set of a union?

To find the power set of a union, first find the union of the given sets. Then, list out all the possible combinations of elements from the union set, including the empty set, to create the power set.

4. Why are power sets of unions important in set theory?

Power sets of unions are important in set theory because they allow us to explore and analyze the possible combinations of elements from multiple sets. This can be useful in solving problems and proving theorems in mathematics and other fields.

5. Are there any limitations to power sets of unions?

Yes, there are limitations to power sets of unions. As the number of elements in the original sets increases, the size of the power set of the union also increases exponentially. This can make it difficult to represent or manipulate the power set, especially for large sets.