Is this the Best Possible World?

• Thread starter dantsmith
  • Start date
In summary, this is a brief summary of Erik Verlinde's latest article on gravity. He has a few thoughts on the topic that may be of interest to some people. He also mentions Charles Sanders Peirce, an important philosopher, and discusses the possibility that the apparent laws of physics might have evolved. This is just a personal view, and does not necessarily reflect the official opinion of the forum administrators.
Alt,
I too believe passionately in free speech but I'm getting an appreciation why management would run a tight ship ‘round here. I think, however, that most people can end up saying what they have to - done thoughtfully. If not, there is no dearth of intelligent and knowledgeable folk ready to pounce - and rightly so. The buck does stop here, it would seem.
This is why I suggest that we keep the serious discussion in the https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2174#comments" , which is where I will attempt to respond to you...

12pm/edt----- Thank you for your patience, I've completed my initial response, in the blog section. Until there is a further comment in that section, I'll continue posting addenda to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I like this name. Leibniz already proposed that this is the best possible world hundreds of years ago, but that meant moral goodness, not a quantum version of the course in miracles shared solipsism thesis. It seems pretty obvious to me that the world could be more morally good than it actually is and that's true regardless of how it came to be.

LYN,

(Are you trying to get me in trouble with Evo?! She wanted us to keep this conversation mainly in the https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2174#comments" ?)

Better world...? No kidding!

The primary caveat of the BPWH is that humanity has gone as far as it can go, without further divine guidance. And, surprise, I'm your friendly neighborhood Guidance counselor, showing up at our Slumber (of materialism!) Party, just in the nick of time. I'm your, very personal, (cosmic) wake-up call.

Yes, the self-revealing god, is, necessarily, a self-concealing god, and she has done a bang-up job of that, don't you think!? A lot of us 'enlightened' folks had gotten around to thinking that we had out-smarted god, but, you know, hubris will only get us so far, until we started looking for the God Particle. And can you excuse me if I'm won't to pretend to be that one? I mean just for the sake of a lively conversation.

So, yes, I'm here to offer you that better world, that 'god's kingdom', but, like everything else, it comes at a price. God knows that we mice will just keep on playing our 'business-as-usual' games, so long as the Cat is away. Creation was meant to be our Playground, our little Sandbox, where we could throw sand in each others faces, to our heart's content. But then along came Nuclear Physics and various other WMD, and environmental crises, and, clearly, Creation was continuing, only on borrowed time. Just by it's definition, Creation is the separation between Creator and creatures. It can exist only so long as she persists in her self-concealment mode.

So, here's the deal....

If we have gotten to the point where we need divine intervention, then that spells then end to our days in this little Sandbox. Our Slumber of Materialism comes to its logical end. The Myth of Perpetual (material) Progress is, how do they say, Busted!

I don't like to be a Myth Buster, but, maybe that's my job.

Do you catch my drift, LYN? If you would like to delve further into these details, then maybe we should adjourn to my little blog, in the blog section. Yes?

Last edited by a moderator: