Is this Variable frequency drive compatible with this motor?

In summary, my senior design adviser told me that the VFD must be the same brand as the motor that is being used, I'm not sure I believe this. However, if the VFD is rated for low voltage and the motor is rated for low voltage, then it should be safe to use. The VFD I now plan on using is a GS3 series AC drive and it has a rated input current of 7.6Amps. The fuses available for this model come in "Fuse kit" pack of 3 that is to be installed in the drive. The fuse rating is 300V @ 25AMPS. Considering there are 3 fuses in each kit, is it safe to assume that the VFD will
belae1ka
My senior design adviser told me that the VFD must be the same brand as the motor that is being used, I'm not sure I believe this.

I plan on using a GS1 series AC drive, here is a link;
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Drives/GS1_(120_-z-_230_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)

Here is a link to the motor;
https://www.mcmaster.com/#6136k671/=154ilst

What should I look for when looking for compatibility? HP, amps, single/three phase, input voltage?

Also, the amps at full load is rated at 0.8-0.8/0.4 Amps. I am confused with the formatting of this number, why is 0.8 divided by 0.4?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
By the looks of it the vfds should work. The choice of which one depends on what input voltage you have available.
I would get one that can handle a higher hp(1/2 vs 1/4) if you can afford the difference.

As to the amperage listing it means 0.8A(@208V)-0.8A(@230V)/ {OR} /0.4A(@460V) depending on whether it is wired for low voltage (208v to 230v) or high (460v). The motor you linked to is a dual voltage motor.

To use this motor with the vfds you linked to it must be wired for low voltage.

{edit}The vfd does not need to be the same manufacturer as the motor.

Likes belae1ka
wirenut said:
By the looks of it the vfds should work. The choice of which one depends on what input voltage you have available.
I would get one that can handle a higher hp(1/2 vs 1/4) if you can afford the difference.

As to the amperage listing it means 0.8A(@208V)-0.8A(@230V)/ {OR} /0.4A(@460V) depending on whether it is wired for low voltage (208v to 230v) or high (460v). The motor you linked to is a dual voltage motor.

To use this motor with the vfds you linked to it must be wired for low voltage.
Thank you very much for your response! The shop that the VFD will be powered at has three phase outlets that are 250V 50Amps. Can I use these outlets to wire my VFD for the low voltage wiring (230V)? Or is the 250V too much voltage?

Thank you.

belae1ka said:
Thank you very much for your response! The shop that the VFD will be powered at has three phase outlets that are 250V 50Amps. Can I use these outlets to wire my VFD for the low voltage wiring (230V)? Or is the 250V too much voltage?

Thank you.
Is that 250v on the receptacle by the manufacturer? If so that is the rating of the receptacle, not the voltage available. Most receptacles are rated @125v, for single phase low voltage(phase to neutral);@250v for single or 3 phase low voltage (phase to phase); @277v for high voltage single phase (phase to neutral); @600v high voltage single and 3 phase (phase to phase).
The actual voltage available should be either on a label or actually measured.
As to the 50A rating you can use this if you protect your circuit with the proper fuses prior to the input of your vfd.

Likes belae1ka
belae1ka said:
My senior design adviser told me that the VFD must be the same brand as the motor that is being used, I'm not sure I believe this.
No. Most drive makers don't make motors and vice versa.
Here is a link to the motor;
https://www.mcmaster.com/#6136k671/=154ilst

What should I look for when looking for compatibility?
Inverter rated: No. So no, you do not want to use a VFD with this motor.

Likes belae1ka
wirenut said:
Is that 250v on the receptacle by the manufacturer? If so that is the rating of the receptacle, not the voltage available. Most receptacles are rated @125v, for single phase low voltage(phase to neutral);@250v for single or 3 phase low voltage (phase to phase); @277v for high voltage single phase (phase to neutral); @600v high voltage single and 3 phase (phase to phase).
The actual voltage available should be either on a label or actually measured.
As to the 50A rating you can use this if you protect your circuit with the proper fuses prior to the input of your vfd.
The VFD I now plan on using is;
The DURApulse GS3 series AC drive (Model GS3-22P0): https://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/gs3drives.pdf

It has a rated input current of 7.6Amps. The fuses available for this model come in "Fuse kit" pack of 3 that is to be installed in the drive. The fuse rating is 300V @ 25AMPS. Considering there are 3 fuses in each kit, is it safe to assume that the VFD will be ok? Is the current going into the VFD spead evenly across these 3 fuses?

Thank you

russ_watters said:
No. Most drive makers don't make motors and vice versa.

Inverter rated: No. So no, you do not want to use a VFD with this motor.
Thank you so very much sir you could have singlehandedly saved my project

Inverter optimized motors are not a requirement for useful VFD compatibility.

Long power runs being much more significant than insulation break down within the motor due to synthesized frequency profiles.

1. What is a variable frequency drive (VFD) and how does it work?

A variable frequency drive, also known as a variable speed drive, is an electronic device that controls the speed of an electric motor by adjusting the frequency and voltage of the power supplied to the motor. This allows for precise control over the motor's speed and can result in energy savings and improved performance.

2. How do I know if a VFD is compatible with my motor?

The compatibility of a VFD with a motor depends on several factors, including the type and size of the motor, the voltage and frequency ratings of the VFD, and the programming and control capabilities of the VFD. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines to ensure compatibility.

3. Can I use any VFD with any motor?

No, not all VFDs are compatible with all motors. It is important to select a VFD that is specifically designed and rated for the type and size of motor you are using. Using an incompatible VFD can result in damage to the motor or the VFD, and may also pose safety hazards.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a VFD with my motor?

Using a VFD with a motor can offer numerous benefits, including energy savings, improved control and performance, reduced wear and tear on the motor, and the ability to run the motor at different speeds for different applications. It can also help reduce the starting current of the motor, which can extend its lifespan.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a VFD with my motor?

Yes, it is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when installing and operating a VFD with a motor. This may include proper wiring and grounding, setting appropriate parameters, and ensuring the VFD is properly sized for the motor. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the VFD and motor are also recommended to ensure safe and efficient operation.