Is this zero backlash or am I missing something?

In summary, the person is uncertain about whether their application will have zero backlash using the solution in the attached image. They are seeking feedback and have not yet decided on a preloading solution. They believe their theory will ensure that there is zero time when any driven gear is not engaged by the motor gear's teeth. They clarify that there will always be some backlash due to the necessary gap between gears, but preloading the gears can reduce it. They also caution that correct gear profiles are important in reducing mechanical noise and improving the benefits of removing backlash.
thorq
Hello guys,

I am quite unsure if this application I have will be zero backlash using the solution in the attached image. I don't really have any means to test this so asking around sounds like a good feedback chance.
KSfVik.png

I haven't decided yet on the preloading solution but it will be done so that both driven gears will be pushing the motor gear as shown in the img. At this point, when motor stops and starts turning in the other direction, there should be zero time when any driven gear is not engaged by the motor gear's teeth. Or at least this is my theory.

Thanks for your feedback.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which flank of the tooth will be driving? Which flank of the tooth does each driven gear preload onto?

No it's not zero backlash because there is physically a gap (which needs to be there) between the gears, so if/when you get a load reversal the contact will separate.

Made a second drawing (actually this is more closely inline with my original idea):

mOkcVf.png

But then again, if the gap needs to be there (which is quite obvious), there will always be backlash unless split-gears preloaded against each other are employed...

Preloading the gears (springs) will always stop backlash unless the load exceeds the tension of the springs when erratic backlash will occur. Make sure your gear profiles are correct otherwise the mechanical noise (perturbations) involved in the mesh will greatly reduce any benefits of removing the backlash. Presumably, the system will not run at speed, unless you have some non-spring-based torquing of the system, like small motors, applying constant torque. If this is the case, tooth profile becomes the dominant property to address.

1. What is zero backlash?

Zero backlash refers to a mechanical system that has no play or clearance between moving parts. This means that there is no delay or lost motion when transitioning from one direction to another, resulting in precise and accurate movements.

2. How do you determine if a system has zero backlash?

A system can be tested for zero backlash by applying a small amount of force in one direction and then immediately reversing the direction. If there is no movement or delay, then the system can be considered to have zero backlash. Another method is to physically inspect the system for any visible gaps or play between moving parts.

3. Why is zero backlash important in mechanical systems?

Zero backlash is important in mechanical systems because it ensures accuracy and precision in movements. Without zero backlash, there can be errors and inaccuracies in the positioning and functioning of the system, which can affect the overall performance and reliability.

4. What are some common causes of backlash in mechanical systems?

Backlash can be caused by worn out or loose components, incorrect alignment of parts, or inadequate lubrication. It can also be inherent in certain types of mechanical systems, such as gear systems, due to the clearance between teeth.

5. Can backlash be completely eliminated in mechanical systems?

While it is possible to minimize backlash, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate it. However, proper maintenance and adjustments can help reduce backlash and ensure optimal performance of the system. In some cases, using anti-backlash mechanisms or precision components can also help minimize backlash.