Is Total Pressure Constant at the Same Altitude for Any Moving Flow?

In summary: At Mach 1 the static pressure is greater than the dynamic pressure, so at this point the total pressure is greater than the static pressure.
su214
total pressure , I'm confused !

hello :)
i'm new here ...
i'm confused in poits regards pressure
now please correct me if I'm wrong...
1-static pressure is equal to the total pressure if the gas is static (V=0)
2- total pressure is always equal or bigger than the static pressure
3-as the velocity increases the static pressure decrease

if these statements are correct then

1- is the ambient pressure is equal to total pressure and the total pressure is constant at same altitude for any given moving flow
-ex:at sea level-?

2-if the above statement is correct ,then in case of increasing of fluid velocity will its static pressure will equal zero at certain velocity ?

3-
here :
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7098/29329605.jpg"
the underlined lines confused me very much the author say that " the static P and T remain UNCHANGED "??
and the stagnation reference depend on the frame of reference?
i can't understand the underline lines...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Total pressure is the sum of static pressure and dynamic pressure, where dynamic pressure is proportional to V^2. Since velocity is dependent on the reference frame so is dynamic pressure and therefore total pressure. The static pressure remains unchanged because it is dependent on the local atmospheric conditions which do not depend on your frame of reference. So if two people are standing next to each they both feel the same static pressure but if one person starts to run forward they feel an additional pressure on their front side. The pressure they feel is the total pressure which is the local static pressure plus the dynamic pressure based on their velocity. The person standing still only feels local static pressure which in their case is the total pressure because they are not moving relative to the air.

To answer this question:
"in case of increasing of fluid velocity will its static pressure will equal zero at certain velocity ?"

No, because as the fluid velocity increases it will approach Mach 1 where shockwaves will form and static pressure increases across a shock.

Related to Is Total Pressure Constant at the Same Altitude for Any Moving Flow?

What is total pressure?

Total pressure is the sum of all the individual pressures exerted by each component in a gas mixture. It is a measure of the overall force exerted by a gas on its surroundings.

How is total pressure measured?

Total pressure can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a barometer or manometer, which use principles of fluid mechanics to determine the force exerted by the gas.

Why is total pressure important in scientific experiments?

Total pressure is important in scientific experiments because it affects the behavior of gases, such as their volume and temperature. It is also necessary for calculating other properties of gases, such as their density and molar mass.

How does temperature affect total pressure?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, as temperature increases, the pressure of a gas increases proportionally. This is because the molecules of the gas have more kinetic energy, causing them to collide with the walls of their container more frequently and with greater force.

What is the relationship between total pressure and partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single component of a gas mixture, while total pressure is the sum of all the partial pressures. The relationship between them is that the total pressure is equal to the sum of all the partial pressures, according to Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures.