Is U a Subspace of F([a, b]) for Real-Valued Functions with Certain Conditions?

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to check closure axioms for a function that belongs to U. He is also trying to figure out how to find an example that belongs to U.
theRukus

Homework Statement

Is U = {f E F([a, b]) | f(a) = f(b)} a subspace of F([a, b]), where F([a, b]) is the vector space of real-valued functions de ned on the interval [a, b]? (keep in mind that in the definition of U, the E means belonging to.. I couldn't find an epsilon character)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to check the following two closure axioms:

Check that C belongs to U where C = A + B and A, B belong to U

Check that C belongs to U where C = kA and A belongs to U and k belongs to real numbers.

My issue is that I just don't know how to portray an example that belongs to U. I hope I'm making some sense here.. I just need to know how A, B should look for my closure axioms.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
theRukus said:

Homework Statement

Is U = {f E F([a, b]) | f(a) = f(b)} a subspace of F([a, b]), where F([a, b]) is the vector space of real-valued functions de ned on the interval [a, b]? (keep in mind that in the definition of U, the E means belonging to.. I couldn't find an epsilon character)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to check the following two closure axioms:

Check that C belongs to U where C = A + B and A, B belong to U

Check that C belongs to U where C = kA and A belongs to U and k belongs to real numbers.

My issue is that I just don't know how to portray an example that belongs to U. I hope I'm making some sense here.. I just need to know how A, B should look for my closure axioms.

Thanks
The things in U are functions, so let's assume that f and g belong to U. What does it mean for a function to belong to this set?

Well, A(a)=A(b) and B(a)=B(b). Show C(x)=A(x)+B(x) satisfies C(a)=C(b). That's all they're asking for the first closure. That isn't so hard, is it?

Not at all! Thanks so much

Related to Is U a Subspace of F([a, b]) for Real-Valued Functions with Certain Conditions?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and operations such as addition and scalar multiplication that satisfy certain properties. It is used to represent and manipulate quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as forces, velocities, and electric fields.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

A vector space must satisfy the following properties: closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of vector addition, existence of an identity element for vector addition, existence of an inverse element for vector addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition.

3. How are vectors represented in a vector space?

Vectors in a vector space are typically represented using column or row matrices, with each element representing a component of the vector. In some cases, vectors can also be represented using coordinates or basis vectors.

4. Can a vector space have an infinite number of dimensions?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of dimensions. In fact, many commonly used vector spaces, such as the real numbers, have infinite dimensions.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude. Vectors are represented using multiple components, while scalars are represented using a single value.