Is Unicomp a Reliable Brand for Tactile Keyboards?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary: I bought a Unicomp Classic 108 key model for 2 years without a glitch, and absolutely love the ergonomics. It's a little loud, but it's truly a classic IBM feel.
turbo
Gold Member
Mine just failed with a whole strip of keys that won't register. 4,5 t,r f,g v,c will not register. Customer "service" told me to ship the keyboard back (I have to buy packing materials and pay for shipping...) and they will fix it and return it. If you pay $100 for a premium tactile keyboard, you'd expect a prompt replacement, along with a prepaid shipping label. If so, you are expecting too much. Unicomp is a rip-off! They are trafficking on the IBM/Lexmark brands, and they don't deliver the quality nor the customer service.

I have installed and set up more computers than I can remember, and have never seen a keyboard failure like this before. Still, Unicomp won't ship a replacement because "that's not our business model". I may just toss this piece of junk in the trash.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Good to know, but I've never heard of them. Very bad customer response! Not a way to stay in business. Was there something unqiue about their keyboards that got your attention? I pretty much stick to MS and Logitech keyboards, although for gaming, I've considered the Razor.

ThinkToday said:
Good to know, but I've never heard of them. Very bad customer response! Not a way to stay in business. Was there something unqiue about their keyboards that got your attention? I pretty much stick to MS and Logitech keyboards, although for gaming, I've considered the Razor.
I bought a Unicomp keyboard because they touted the quality of their keyboards, citing the IBM/Lexmark equipment and supplies. I have installed hundreds of computers over the years, and have never had an IBM keyboard fail like this.

Well,maybe I have been out because I have never heard of Unicomp keyboard before. :biggrin: It's so lucky I see your post now and won't buy this keyboard,thanks your warmhearted post!

I have owned a Unicomp Classic 108 key model for 2 years without a glitch, and absolutely love the ergonomics. It's a little loud, but it's truly a classic IBM feel. I was getting to buy another for my home computer when I came across this post. Sorry you are experiencing these problems.

1. Why should I not buy a Unicomp keyboard?

There are a few reasons why you may not want to purchase a Unicomp keyboard. One reason is that they are typically more expensive than other keyboards on the market. Additionally, some people find them to be too loud due to the tactile feedback of the keys. Finally, there have been reports of quality control issues with Unicomp keyboards, leading to keys not functioning properly or breaking easily.

2. Is there a specific alternative to a Unicomp keyboard that you would recommend?

There are many alternative keyboards available on the market that may suit your needs better than a Unicomp keyboard. Some popular options include mechanical keyboards from brands like Logitech and Corsair, as well as ergonomic keyboards from Microsoft and Kinesis. It's important to do your research and find a keyboard that fits your specific needs and preferences.

3. Are Unicomp keyboards durable?

While Unicomp keyboards are known for their durability, there have been reports of quality control issues and keys breaking easily. It's important to note that the durability of a keyboard can also depend on how it's used and maintained. Overall, there may be more reliable and durable options available on the market.

4. Why do some people prefer Unicomp keyboards?

Some people prefer Unicomp keyboards because they offer a unique tactile feedback and sound that can be satisfying to type on. Additionally, they are designed to resemble the classic IBM Model M keyboard, which may hold nostalgia for some users. However, personal preferences for keyboards can vary greatly, and what works for one person may not work for another.

5. Are there any advantages to buying a Unicomp keyboard?

One potential advantage of a Unicomp keyboard is that it is made in the USA, which may be important to some consumers. It also offers a unique typing experience and sound that some people may enjoy. However, there may be other keyboards on the market that offer similar or even better features at a lower price point. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and do thorough research before making a purchase.

Back