Is v = 11,2km/s enough to wrest away from the Sun's gravitation

In summary, the question asks if 11.2 km/s is enough to escape the Sun's gravitational field while departing from the Earth's orbit. The formula v = √2γM/r is needed for this calculation, where M is the mass of the Sun and r is the radial distance from the Sun's center. Using the radial distance of 149597870000m, the calculated value of 42.1 km/s is enough to escape the Sun from the Earth's distance. However, if departing from the Earth's surface, the initial orbital speed of the Earth must also be taken into account. Therefore, 11.2 km/s is not enough to escape the Sun's gravitational field in this scenario.
wiegetz

Homework Statement

Are 11,2km/s enough, to wrest away from the Suns gravitational field? (We are departing away from the Earth planet, away from the sun)

Here I am unsure if I should use Suns Radius or Earths Radius r. I think that Suns Radius would be more logical, since the problem is about getting away from the Gravitational Field of the Sun. Might be wrong though :)

The Formula I need for this: v = √2γM/r
Suns Mass: 1,989*1030kg
Suns Radius: 696.342 km = 696342000m
(Earths Radius : 6370km = 6370000m

Homework Equations

v = √2γM/r

The Attempt at a Solution

v = √2γM/r

Inserting the Data : v = √2*6,672*10-11*m3*s-2*1,989*1030kg/696342000m

My Result: 617375,1049m/s or ≈ 617,4km/s is needed to wrest away from Suns gravitational field.

Solution: No, 11,2km/s is far not enough to wrest away from Suns gravitational field.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't want the Sun's radius, you want the radial distance from the center of the Sun of your starting location.

Things are made a bit more complicated if you are departing from the surface of the Earth, since you effectively have to escape from both the Sun and the Earth. You can assume that the effects of the other solar system bodies are negligible. If you're starting from the Earth's surface then you cannot ignore its effect since its close proximity makes its influence significant.

Likes wiegetz
617 km/s is necessary if you start from the surface of sun.
Unless you start from the surface of something, the radius of objects is completely irrelevant.

Likes wiegetz
Thanks for the answers!
The teacher said that this is quite simple and that we only need to google up the mass of Sun.
About the radial distance : I am sure that you are correct, but the teacher would mention it if we needed that as well. Is there no other possiblity to calculate it, starting from earth?

Radial Distance Earth-Sun = 149597870000m

My solution if I use the radial distance:

v = √2*6,672*10-11*m3*s-2*1,989*1030kg/149597870000m

42120,90592m/s = 42,1 km/s

Answer still same.

Last edited:
wiegetz said:
Thanks for the answers!
The teacher said that this is quite simple and that we only need to google up the mass of Sun.
About the radial distance : I am sure that you are correct, but the teacher would mention it if we needed that as well. Is there no other possiblity to calculate it, starting from earth?

Radial Distance Earth-Sun = 149597870000m

My solution if I use the radial distance:

v = √2*6,672*10-11*m3*s-2*1,989*1030kg/149597870000m

42120,90592m/s = 42,1 km/s

Answer still same.
Same as what?

Your calculated value of 42.1 km/s is good for an escape from a point located at Earth's distance from the Sun. That is, a location that is the same distance from the Sun as the Earth but without the Earth being there too. But it's not enough if you are departing from the Earth's surface. Then you wold need to escape both bodies' pull.

Likes wiegetz
Answer same as followed: Solution: No, 11,2km/s is far not enough to wrest away from Suns gravitational field.

We did not talk about bodies' pull at all. Do you think that it would be OK to use 42.1 km/s as a result then?

... you've also got the initial orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun to take into account!

Might be correct, but that question is supposed to be really simple, as the teacher told.

I repeat again: The only thing he told is that we need to google up the Suns mass, nothing more.

wiegetz said:
Answer same as followed: Solution: No, 11,2km/s is far not enough to wrest away from Suns gravitational field.
Then you've shown that this is the correct answer. You need greater than 42 km/s in order to escape the Sun from the vicinity of the Earth's orbit.

Solved, thanks for the help!

Related to Is v = 11,2km/s enough to wrest away from the Sun's gravitation

1. Is 11.2km/s the escape velocity required to leave the Sun's gravitational pull?

No, the escape velocity required to leave the Sun's gravitational pull is actually 617.5km/s. However, 11.2km/s is enough velocity to reach a stable orbit around the Sun.

2. How is the escape velocity calculated?

The escape velocity is calculated using the equation V = √(2GM/r), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object (in this case, the Sun), and r is the distance from the center of the larger object.

3. Is escape velocity the same for all objects?

No, the escape velocity varies depending on the mass and size of the object. For example, the escape velocity on Earth is 11.2km/s, whereas on the moon it is only 2.38km/s.

4. Can an object with a velocity lower than escape velocity still escape the Sun's gravitational pull?

No, any object with a velocity lower than the escape velocity will eventually be pulled back by the Sun's gravity and will not be able to escape its pull.

5. What other factors besides velocity can affect an object's ability to escape the Sun's gravitational pull?

The mass and distance of the object from the Sun are also important factors. The larger the mass of the object, the greater the escape velocity required. And the closer the object is to the Sun, the higher the escape velocity needed.