Is voltage drop different in parallel circuits?

In summary, the conversation is discussing voltage drop in parallel circuits. The initial question is whether voltage drop is the same in parallel compared to series, and the person responding clarifies that it is not the same as the power supply voltage. The conversation continues with the person asking for clarification and the initial questioner providing more information, ultimately seeking help with calculating voltage drop.
TonyG247
★★ members must not remove essential diagrams after receiving help on these forums ★★
Screen+Shot+2016-08-13+at+1.45.47+PM.png

https://puu.sh/qzv6o/5abc45494b.png

I was under the impression that voltage drop was the same in parallel which would make it the power supply, but apparently not? Any insight would help. I know this isn't a hard a question, I'm just horrible at physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TonyG247 said:
I was under the impression that voltage drop was the same in parallel which would make it the power supply, but apparently not?

Can you reword this? I think I know what you're saying, but I don't think you're saying it very well.

The same in parallel compared to what? To series? No, but I don't think this is what you meant. I think you meant it's the same as the power supply voltage. Is this correct?

Student100 said:
Can you reword this? I think I know what you're saying, but I don't think you're saying it very well.

The same in parallel compared to what? To series? No, but I don't think this is what you meant. I think you meant it's the same as the power supply voltage. Is this correct?

My apologies. Yes, the same as the power supply. And if that isn't the case, at least the same in each of the resistors. But the answer doesn't seem to be correct? I'm lost on how I should go about calculating the voltage drop with the provided information.

Say I pulled out what I can only assume is an ammeter, breaking the circuit there? Would current still flow?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread reopened.

Last edited:
Likes informatory

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in electrical potential energy that occurs as electricity travels through a circuit. It is measured in volts and is caused by the resistance of the materials in the circuit.

2. What causes voltage drop?

There are several factors that can cause voltage drop, including the length and size of the wire, the material and temperature of the wire, and the number of devices connected to the circuit.

3. How does voltage drop affect my circuit?

Voltage drop can cause a decrease in the amount of power that reaches the end of the circuit, which can result in dimming lights, slower motors, and other issues with the performance of electrical devices.

4. How can I calculate voltage drop?

To calculate voltage drop, you will need to know the resistance of the wire, the amperage of the circuit, and the length of the wire. You can then use Ohm's law (V=IR) to determine the voltage drop.

5. How can I prevent voltage drop?

To prevent voltage drop, you can use larger wires and shorter lengths to reduce resistance, or you can install a voltage regulator to maintain a consistent level of voltage throughout the circuit. It is also important to properly size and connect devices in the circuit to minimize voltage drop.