Is Will O' The Wisp's Explanation Accurate?: Doubt About Density

In summary, Will O' The Wisp has the ability to consciously control the sub-atomic electromagnetic particles within his body, allowing him to manipulate his density. By increasing his density, he gains superhuman strength and by decreasing it, he can become intangible. He can also selectively solidify parts of his body and use this ability to fly by expelling excess molecules. However, the concept of controlling sub-atomic particles and altering density has no basis in physical reality.
Densus
I love marvel, and recently comic book writers are trying to give us scientific explanations about how their powers work. I'm a fan of density controllers, hence my name, so I'm trying to understand Will O' The Wisp ability:

Will O' The Wisp possesses the power to exert conscious control over the sub-atomic electromagnetic particles that carry the force of attraction between the molecules of his body. This enables him to control his density, granting him such powers as superhuman strength, flight, and intangibility. Mentally willing himself to his maximum density, he can make his flesh and substance as hard as the mineral feldspar. At this density, his muscles become denser and stronger, granting him superhuman strength. Will O' The Wisp can maintain this state of density for about 10 minutes before fatigue forces him to let up. Mentally willing himself to his minimum density, Will O' The Wisp allows a non-critical number of random molecules to oscillate at a small distance from his body, granting him intangibility. (Unlike the Vision, who shunts his excess molecules extradimensionally, Will O' The Wisp disperses them omnidirectionally in this dimension.) (...)

Will O' The Wisp can also selectively solidify parts of his body For example, he can keep his arm solid while making the rest of his body intangible. (...)

Will O' The Wisp can fly by becoming lighter than air and expelling excess molecules in a single direction behind him, causing him to be propelled forward. When he travels faster than 5 miles per hour (...). Will O' The Wisp can fly at a maximum speed of 90 miles per hour, and because he is intangible while flying, he is not deterred by solid obstacles. It is not known how many molecules are needed to accelerate him at his maximum speed, whether he can replenish "shed" molecules, or if there is a limit to how many he can expel before doing himself injury.

I deleted some parts that are not required for this.

The, in order to raise his density, he has to push its molecules closer together. If so, his volume decreases as his mass increases, giving it balance so the density remains unchanged.
And I think the same thing applies to intangibility as the opposite.

Is Will O' The Wisp's explanation accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
The concepts do not have any basis in physical reality and so it is not possible to give any sort of explanation that is in any way accurate.

Bodies are mostly made of water and it is possible to make water denser and even turn solid by compressing it at room temeperature but this requires the water to be contained within a very strong pressure vessel and the subjection of enormous pressures many thousands of times greater than atmospheric pressure and much greater than the pressure to be found at the bottom of the deepest ocean trench.

His mass stays the same unless he sheds molecules.
Besides, your ascertation that 'his volume decreases as his mass increases, giving it balance so the density remains unchanged.' is incorrect.

density=mass/volume.

So if you increase mass and/or decrease volume the density will increase.

billiards said:
Besides, your ascertation that 'his volume decreases as his mass increases, giving it balance so the density remains unchanged.' is incorrect.

density=mass/volume.

That depends the way you look at it. If you for example chop pieces of an object, it's mass and volume decreases while density remains the same.

yes but note I said increase mass whilst decreasing volume. The scenario you highlighted would involve a decrease in mass... not the same thing. You get that?

Soul Surfer said:
The concepts do not have any basis in physical reality and so it is not possible to give any sort of explanation that is in any way accurate.

Bodies are mostly made of water and it is possible to make water denser and even turn solid by compressing it at room temeperature but this requires the water to be contained within a very strong pressure vessel and the subjection of enormous pressures many thousands of times greater than atmospheric pressure and much greater than the pressure to be found at the bottom of the deepest ocean trench.

I know, but we can give a "what if explanation". What if we could, in that case, control the sub-atomic electromagnetic particles?

billiards said:

density=mass/volume.

Yeah you're right, I was aware of my mistake at school. But the only reason for his density to increase is to inscrease his mass, so his volume must remains the same, because his body don't become smaller.

Last edited:

Related to Is Will O' The Wisp's Explanation Accurate?: Doubt About Density

1. What is Will O' The Wisp's Explanation for Doubt About Density?

The explanation states that Will O' The Wisp is a phenomenon caused by the combustion of marsh gas, and that the light seen is a result of the gas igniting and burning.

2. Is Will O' The Wisp's Explanation scientifically accurate?

While there is some scientific evidence to support the idea that Will O' The Wisp is caused by combustion of marsh gas, it is still a debated topic and there is no conclusive proof either way.

3. What is the doubt surrounding the density aspect of Will O' The Wisp's Explanation?

The doubt arises from the fact that marsh gas is typically less dense than air, so it wouldn't be expected to produce a light that appears to hover or float above the ground.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for Will O' The Wisp?

Yes, there are some other theories that suggest the light could be caused by bioluminescent organisms or electrical discharges in the atmosphere.

5. What further research is needed to determine the accuracy of Will O' The Wisp's Explanation?

More studies and experiments are needed to fully understand the phenomenon and its potential causes. Further investigations into the composition and behavior of marsh gas and the surrounding environment could provide more insight into the accuracy of Will O' The Wisp's Explanation.