Isomorphism to subspaces of different dimensions

In summary, the linear transformations f: R³ → R² and g: R² → R³ have the matrices [2 -1 0] [0 2 1] and [1 0] [1 1] [1 -1], respectively. The composition f ◦ g has a matrix of [1 -1] [3 1], while g ◦ f has a matrix of [2 -1 0] [2 1 1] [2 -3 -1]. The ranks of both compositions are 2, and f ◦ g is an isomorphism with an inverse of [1/4 1/4] [-3/4 1/4]. It is
says

Homework Statement

Given the linear transformations
f : R 3 → R 2 , f(x, y, z) = (2x − y, 2y + z), g : R 2 → R 3 , g(u, v) = (u, u + v, u − v), find the matrix associated to f◦g and g◦f with respect to the standard basis. Find rank(f ◦g) and rank(g ◦ f), is one of the two compositions an isomorphism? If yes find its inverse.

Homework Equations

f=
[2 -1 0]
[0 2 1]

g=
[1 0]
[1 1]
[1 -1]

The Attempt at a Solution

f◦g =
[1 -1]
[3 1]

g◦f=
[ 2 -1 0 ]
[ 2 1 1 ]
[ 2 -3 -1 ]I row reduced both matrices, I don't want to write them out here, but the rank (g ◦ f) = 2, it has one free variable. Rank(f ◦g) = 2. I think the real question I have here is with the last part of the question.

'Is one of the two compositions an isomorphism?' For a linear transformation to be an isomorphism is has to be injective and surjective. Is the very nature that this L.T maps from R3 to R2 and vice versa reason enough to say it is not an isomorphism?

I found an inverse of
f◦g =
[1/4 1/4]
[-3/4 1/4]

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

f : R 3 → R 2 , f(x, y, z) = (2x − y, 2y + z), g : R 2 → R 3 , g(u, v) = (u, u + v, u − v), find the matrix associated to f◦g and g◦f with respect to the standard basis. Find rank(f ◦g) and rank(g ◦ f), is one of the two compositions an isomorphism? If yes find its inverse.

Homework Equations

f=
[2 -1 0]
[0 2 1]

g=
[1 0]
[1 1]
[1 -1]

f◦g =
[1 -1]
[3 1]

g◦f=
[ 2 -1 0 ]
[ 2 1 1 ]
[ 2 -3 -1 ]I row reduced both matrices, I don't want to write them out here, but the rank (g ◦ f) = 2, it has one free variable. Rank(f ◦g) = 2. I think the real question I have here is with the last part of the question.

'Is one of the two compositions an isomorphism?' For a linear transformation to be an isomorphism is has to be injective and surjective. Is the very nature that this L.T maps from R3 to R2 and vice versa reason enough to say it is not an isomorphism?

I found an inverse of
f◦g =
[1/4 1/4]
[-3/4 1/4]

Yes, you can show g◦f cannot be an isomorphism without doing any row reduction. Can you show that? Think rank-nullity theorem.

says said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f=
[2 -1 0]
[0 2 1]

g=
[1 0]
[1 1]
[1 -1]

f◦g =
[1 -1]
[3 1]

g◦f=
[ 2 -1 0 ]
[ 2 1 1 ]

I found an inverse of
f◦g =
[1/4 1/4]
[-3/4 1/4]
To answer the question: "Is the very nature that this L.T maps from R3 to R2 and vice versa reason enough to say it is not an isomorphism?"
It is correct that a linear transformation from ##\mathbb R²## to ##\mathbb R³## or from ##\mathbb R³## to ##\mathbb R²## cannot be an isomorphism.
But: g ◦ f maps ##\mathbb R³## to ##\mathbb R³##,and f ◦ g maps ##\mathbb R²## to ##\mathbb R²##, so these could conceivably be isomorphisms. There you have (a little) more work to do. As Dick suggested, for g ◦ f it is relatively easy to show it is not an isomorphism just by reasoning.

Ahhh yes! f ◦ g is an isomorph. I've got my working in a photo attached.

Attachments

• 20160125_131342.jpg
    20160125_131342.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 399

1. What is an isomorphism in linear algebra?

An isomorphism is a linear transformation between vector spaces that preserves operations and structure. This means that the transformation maintains the same relationships between vectors, such as linear independence and span.

2. How does isomorphism relate to subspaces of different dimensions?

An isomorphism can exist between subspaces of different dimensions if the subspaces have the same underlying structure. This means that the subspaces must have the same number of basis vectors and the same dimension.

3. Can an isomorphism exist between subspaces of different dimensions?

Yes, an isomorphism can exist between subspaces of different dimensions as long as the subspaces have the same underlying structure. This means that the subspaces must have the same number of basis vectors and the same dimension.

4. What is the difference between an isomorphism and an isomorphic relationship?

An isomorphism is a linear transformation between vector spaces, while an isomorphic relationship is a more general concept that can describe any type of structure-preserving relationship, not just linear transformations.

5. How can I determine if two subspaces of different dimensions are isomorphic?

To determine if two subspaces of different dimensions are isomorphic, you can check if they have the same number of basis vectors and the same dimension. If they do, then an isomorphism may exist between them, but further analysis is needed to confirm.