It didn't make sense how physics was hard while math wasn't.

In summary: It's true that I didn't get far with my Maths or Physics studies, I'm writing about High school stuff now.For me, Physics was always easier because each number had a meaning. If you calculated something, you understood what are you calculating. In maths, it was too abstract. You have no idea what you do and why. You just get a random equation which has no meaning and you are forced to calculate the result when you see no connection to real life. In Physics, you can use logic and common sense to a greater degree. If you are not sure how to solve the equation (not sure if the sign should change or how to solve fractions), if you know what each number means, you can intuitive
Eclair_de_XII
Well, until now. In calculus, you're just deriving and integrating functions, evaluating expressions, simplifying functions, and executing them, etc. I don't think it takes that much brain power to do the same mundane operations when everything (minus the variable you wish to solve for) is clearly spelled out for you. In physics, you have to do a bit more thinking, I believe. Like, you're supposed to figure out on your own what all the variables are, and ask yourself questions on the values of those variables. "Is velocity decreasing or increasing?", "Is this value positive or negative?" It may just be me, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
Well, until now. In calculus, you're just deriving and integrating functions, evaluating expressions, simplifying functions, and executing them, etc. I don't think it takes that much brain power to do the same mundane operations when everything (minus the variable you wish to solve for) is clearly spelled out for you. In physics, you have to do a bit more thinking, I believe. Like, you're supposed to figure out on your own what all the variables are, and ask yourself questions on the values of those variables. "Is velocity decreasing or increasing?", "Is this value positive or negative?" It may just be me, though.

Is this a question, or a statement? :wink:

Yes, generally, science is where you begin to learn to model physical concepts with math. So, beyond the simple calculations you're experiencing in math courses, you're now actually setting up an equation/model that best fits the underlying concepts. This is hard for some students initially.

Don't get it wrong though, what you're doing in your calculus course doesn't mean math is easy or somehow limited to your calculation based courses. That's only the tip of the iceberg of what mathematics is about.

Yes, I've always thought that too. My head hurts more while doing physics. But I expect pure mathematics won't be too easy, the maths we use in physics is quite well developed and also we usually don't bother with the proofs and stuff of the maths.

Aniruddha@94 said:
Yes, I've always thought that too. My head hurts more while doing physics. But I expect pure mathematics won't be too easy, the maths we use in physics is quite well developed and also we usually don't bother with the proofs and stuff of the maths.

It's true that I didn't get far with my Maths or Physics studies, I'm writing about High school stuff now.
For me, Physics was always easier because each number had a meaning. If you calculated something, you understood what are you calculating. In maths, it was too abstract. You have no idea what you do and why. You just get a random equation which has no meaning and you are forced to calculate the result when you see no connection to real life.
In Physics, you can use logic and common sense to a greater degree. If you are not sure how to solve the equation (not sure if the sign should change or how to solve fractions), if you know what each number means, you can intuitively know if you should add or substract it from the final answer (if you understand the basic principle of the phenomenon studied). In Maths, common sense doesn't work for me.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sophia said:
It's true that I didn't get far with my Maths or Physics studies, I'm writing about High school stuff now.
For me, Physics was always easier because each number had a meaning. If you calculated something, you understood what are you calculating. In maths, it was too abstract. You have no idea what you do and why. You just get a random equation which has no meaning and you are forced to calculate the result when you see no connection to real life.
In Physics, you can use logic and common sense to a greater degree. If you are not sure how to solve the equation (not sure if the sign should change or how to solve fractions), if you know what each number means, you can intuitively know if you should add or substract it from the final answer (if you understand the basic principle of the phenomenon studied). In Maths, common sense doesn't work for me.
Yes,I guess it's the same for me too. I especially struggled with abstract algebra (I was so relieved when I passed that paper!). In physics you can mostly know if your answer is wrong by physical reasoning.

Likes Sophia
i'm with last two posts.
I too struggled with math. It was the only course i had to bring my homework home and spend hours every night. Physics i made A's and it seemed intuitive. Math i loved word problems, and our differential equations text was very much practical oriented, that's probably the only reason i passed.

Likes Sophia
Student100 said:
That's only the tip of the iceberg of what mathematics is about.

I'm at Calculus II. Where's the rest of the iceberg, so to say?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Where's the rest of the iceberg

Look at the course listings for any university math department. Real analysis, abstract algebra (group theory), topology, differential geometry...

Well, I'm glad that my engineering degree don't require those classes. Just Calculus I-IV and Differential Equations. :D

What is the difference between physics and math?

Physics is a natural science that studies the behavior and properties of matter and energy in the universe. It involves experimentation and observation to understand the fundamental laws of the physical world. On the other hand, math is a tool used to describe and quantify patterns and relationships, including those found in physics. While both fields are closely related, physics is more focused on the real world while math is more abstract.

Why is physics considered harder than math?

Physics can be considered harder than math because it involves complex concepts that are not always easily observed or understood. It also requires a strong understanding of mathematics, making it more challenging for those who struggle with math. Additionally, physics involves a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking, which can be difficult for some people.

How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Improving your understanding of physics can be achieved through practice and persistence. It is important to attend lectures, participate in discussions, and complete assignments to reinforce your understanding of concepts. You can also seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources to clarify any confusion and deepen your knowledge.

Is it possible to be good at math but struggle with physics?

Yes, it is possible to excel in math but struggle with physics. While both fields are closely related, they require different skills and ways of thinking. Some people may have a natural aptitude for math, but find it difficult to apply those skills to solving real-world problems in physics. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to improve in both subjects.

How can I make physics easier for myself?

There are several ways to make physics easier for yourself. These include actively participating in class, seeking help when needed, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and practicing regularly. It is also important to have a positive attitude and not be afraid to make mistakes, as they can often lead to a deeper understanding of the subject.