It might simple to you, but i'm stuck.

• Thread starter lpheng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: And so on...So, in summary, the derivative of sin-1 (x+a)/b is equal to 1/√(b² - x² - 2xa - a²) and the integrals of X/(9-4x-x²)^1/2 and X²/(9-4x-x²)^1/2 can be solved by setting u = 4x + x² and using the substitution method. The first integral is equal to ½∫du/√(9-u) - 2sin⁻¹[(x+2)/√13] + constant, while the second integral is equal to 1/3∫du/(9-u)^3/
lpheng
The question is something like this, find the:
d/dx of sin-1 (X+a) /b.
then evaluate,
intergarte of X / (9-4x-x2) 1/2
&
intergarte of X2 / (9-4x-x2) 1/2

What i get for the first part is,
d/dx of sin-1 (X+a) /b = 1 / ( -X2/b2-2aX/b2-a2+b2/b2)1/2

Then I'm stuck. xD
Sorry for the confusing equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi lpheng! welcome to pf! :smile:

fiddle about with the a and b in your first answer until you get 9-4x-x2 :wink:

lpheng said:
The question is something like this, find the:
d/dx of sin-1 (X+a) /b.
then evaluate,
intergarte of X / (9-4x-x2) 1/2
&
intergarte of X2 / (9-4x-x2) 1/2What i get for the first part is,
d/dx of sin-1 (X+a) /b = 1 / ( -X2/b2-2aX/b2-a2+b2/b2)1/2Then I'm stuck. xD
Sorry for the confusing equation.

With y=sin⁻¹[(x+a)/b], dy/dx= 1/√[b² - x² - 2xa - a²]

Let ℐ≡ ∫ xdx/√(9-4x-x²). Set u:= 4x+x²⇒½du-2dx=xdx. Whence ℐ= ∫ ½du/√(9-u) - 2sin⁻¹[(x+2)/√5] + constant. And so on...

NOTE1: 2a=4 ⇒ a=2 and b² - a²=9 ⇒ b=√5.

NOTE2: Given, ½du-2dx=xdx multiply through by `x` to get ½xdu-2xdx=x²dx.

Last edited:
matphysik said:
Let ℐ≡ ∫ xdx/√(9-4x-x²). Set u:= 4x+x²⇒½du-2dx=xdx. Whence ℐ= ∫ ½du/√(9-u) - 2sin⁻¹[(x+2)/√5] + constant. And so on...

NOTE1: 2a=4 ⇒ a=2 and b² - a²=9 ⇒ b=√5.

Correction: b² - a²=9 ⇒ b=√13. So that,

ℐ= ∫ ½du/√(9-u) - 2sin⁻¹[(x+2)/√13] + constant.

No need to apologize for the equation, it is a common occurrence in scientific work to come across complex equations that can be confusing. Let me try to break down the steps for you to find the derivative and integrate the given equations.

For the first part, you have correctly found the derivative of sin-1 (X+a) /b. To evaluate it, you can simplify the expression by expanding the denominator and then simplifying it further. Once you have simplified it, you can then substitute the value of x in the expression and evaluate it to get the final result.

For the second and third parts, you can use the substitution method to integrate the given equations. You can substitute u = 9-4x-x2 and then use the formula for integration to solve for the final result. Make sure to substitute back the value of u at the end to get the final answer in terms of x.

I hope this helps you in solving the equations. Remember, when stuck, it is always helpful to break down the steps and try to simplify the equation before proceeding. Good luck!

Related to It might simple to you, but i'm stuck.

1. How can I get "unstuck" when I feel stuck on a scientific problem?

One strategy to try is to take a break from the problem and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with a colleague or mentor, as they may be able to offer a new perspective or suggest a different approach. Additionally, breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts can help make it feel less overwhelming.

2. What if I can't find a solution to the problem I'm stuck on?

Remember that not every problem has a clear solution and that it's okay to ask for help. Don't be afraid to reach out to other scientists or experts in the field to get their input and advice. Collaboration and brainstorming can often lead to breakthroughs in difficult problems.

3. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the first place?

One way to prevent getting stuck is to approach problems with an open and curious mindset. Don't be afraid to try new methods or approaches, and be willing to make mistakes and learn from them. Also, make sure to thoroughly understand the background and context of the problem before diving into finding a solution.

4. I feel overwhelmed and frustrated when I get stuck on a problem. How can I manage these emotions?

It's important to acknowledge and validate your emotions, but also try to shift your focus towards finding a solution. Take breaks when needed, and practice self-care and stress management techniques. Remind yourself that getting stuck is a natural part of the scientific process, and it's not a reflection of your abilities or intelligence.

5. How can I use being stuck as a learning opportunity?

Being stuck on a problem can actually be a valuable learning opportunity. Take the time to reflect on why you got stuck and what you can do differently in the future. Use the experience to improve your problem-solving skills and deepen your understanding of the subject matter. And remember, even if you don't find a solution, the process of trying and learning is still valuable in itself.