IUPAC Names of Organic compounds

In summary, the conversation discusses the naming of a compound using IUPAC rules. One expert provides a summary of the rules, stating that the end with the more substituted carbon should be selected first and that the sum of substituents is not necessary for aliphatic compounds. The other expert questions the validity of the 'lowest sum rule' and asks for another expert's input. The first expert admits to not spending much time on IUPAC rules and suggests using a chemical database for accurate naming. The conversation is then closed for moderation.
CroSinus

Homework Statement

Name the following compound according to the IUPAC rules:
001A2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

001a3RJESENJE ZA A.jpg

Comment on my attempt, please.

Attachments

• 001A2.jpg
    001A2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 001a3RJESENJE ZA A.jpg
    001a3RJESENJE ZA A.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,244
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CroSinus said:

Homework Statement

Name the following compound according to the IUPAC rules:View attachment 228511

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 228512
Comment on my attempt, please.
You select the end from which the more substituted carbon comes first. So which end is it?
Also, you don't need to do the sum for aliphatic compounds, that's only for cyclic compounds.

Strange rules. Would not be better if I took into consideration all substituents? In other words shouldn't I pay attention to the sum of all substituents?
Well, strange rules!

Thank you for helping me.
Cro

Actually, your doubt prompted me to do a bit of a search on it, and I'm astounded too.
https://chem.libretexts.org/LibreTexts/Athabasca_University/Chemistry_350:_Organic_Chemistry_I/Chapter_4:_Organic_Compounds:_Cycloalkanes_and_their_Stereochemistry/4.1_Naming_Cycloalkanes
http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/WebContent/orgnom/main/dontsum.html
Here, we have 2 articles, both from trusted sites, Chemistry LibreTexts and University of Calgary.
The first says that 'summing locants' is valid, while the other says that there is no such thing anywhere in the IUPAC nomenclature (even if we've been taught so elsewhere!) and also provides a valid justification for it.
Logically speaking, it makes sense that the higher priority substituent should get the lower number, and that should be it; which questions the validity of the 'lowest sum rule' altogether! The UCalgary standpoint appeals to me more.This needs attention from another expert. Discuss this anomaly with your professor

I don't spend much time on IUPAC (I've mentioned before on this forum that I think a lot of the conventions are illogical and unhelpful). That said, if I have to name a compound, I usually cheat by going to some chemical database that names the compounds automatically (PubChem, SciFinder, and Sigma are all pretty good). In this case, I used the PubChem structure search, which returned this little nugget:
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/23333527

Likes DrClaude
Thread closed for moderation.

1. What is the purpose of IUPAC naming for organic compounds?

The purpose of IUPAC naming is to establish a systematic and universal method for naming organic compounds, which allows scientists to communicate and understand the structure and properties of a compound based on its name.

2. How do I determine the parent chain in an organic compound for IUPAC naming?

The parent chain in an organic compound is determined by selecting the longest continuous carbon chain, which may include branches and multiple bonds. The parent chain is the basis for the name of the compound.

3. What are the rules for naming branches in an organic compound using IUPAC nomenclature?

Branches in an organic compound are named by identifying the carbon atom where the branch is attached to the parent chain and using a prefix, such as methyl or ethyl, followed by the number of the carbon atom. The branches are listed alphabetically in the name.

4. Can two or more compounds have the same IUPAC name?

No, each organic compound has a unique IUPAC name, which is determined by its specific structural formula and functional groups. Different compounds may have similar names, but they will have different structural formulas and therefore, different properties.

5. Are there any exceptions or special cases in IUPAC naming for organic compounds?

Yes, there are some exceptions and special cases in IUPAC naming, such as compounds with cyclic structures, compounds with functional groups, and compounds with complicated structures. These exceptions are addressed in the IUPAC guidelines for naming organic compounds.