Jaan Kalda Kinematics question -- What regions can this cannon reach with its projectile?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the region of space that a projectile can reach when shot from a cannon with an initial velocity and direction. The formula y=x tan alpha - gx^2/v_0^2 (tan^2 alpha -1) was derived and it was discussed that this is a quadratic equation. One person, Jaan Kalda, suggested adding y+gx^2/2v_0^2 to the equation, but the reasoning behind it was not fully understood.
roborangers
Homework Statement
A cannon is situated in the origin of coordinate axes
and can give initial velocity v0 to a projectile, the shooting direction can be chosen at will. What is the region of space R
that the projectile can reach?
Relevant Equations
but when i checked the solution i say that kalda added y+gx^2/2v_0^2 but i dont understand why
what i tried to do is to write y=v_0tsin alpha - 1/2gt^2 and x=v_0 cos alpha tand that t=x/v_0 cos alphai plug t in the formula for y and get that y= x tan alpha - gx^2/v_0^2 (tan^2 alpha -1)since jaan klada said there should be a quadratic equation (because its a parabola) i thought that gx^2/v_0^2 tan^2 alpha is a, -x tan alpha is b and gx^2/2v_0 is c and got another formula

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
roborangers said:
Homework Statement: A cannon is situated in the origin of coordinate axes
and can give initial velocity v0 to a projectile, the shooting direction can be chosen at will. What is the region of space R
that the projectile can reach?
Relevant Equations: but when i checked the solution i say that kalda added y+gx^2/2v_0^2 but i dont understand why

what i tried to do is to write y=v_0tsin alpha - 1/2gt^2 and x=v_0 cos alpha tand that t=x/v_0 cos alphai plug t in the formula for y and get that y= x tan alpha - gx^2/v_0^2 (tan^2 alpha -1)since jaan klada said there should be a quadratic equation (because its a parabola) i thought that gx^2/v_0^2 tan^2 alpha is a, -x tan alpha is b and gx^2/2v_0 is c and got another formula
This is not easy to read. Punctuation and spacing are important.

Likes berkeman
PeroK said:
This is not easy to read. Punctuation and spacing are important.
yes you are righ but i got it

The correct equation for the projectile trajectory is $$y=x\tan\alpha-\frac{gx^2}{2g}(1+\tan^2\alpha).$$The general equation for the quadratic equation is $$ax^2+bx+c=0$$.What exactly is your question? When you say "What is the region of space R that the projectile can reach?" do you mean in the horizontal direction only or in two dimensional space?

I don't know who Jaan Kalda is, but I think that you should include the whole answer that he provided not just the term that he added.

yes exactly i got that y is v_0^2/2g - gx^2/2v_0^2

1. What is Jaan Kalda Kinematics question?

Jaan Kalda Kinematics question is a physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory and range of a projectile launched at a certain angle and velocity.

2. What is the significance of this question?

This question is significant because it helps us understand the principles of projectile motion and how to apply them in real-world situations, such as designing and aiming cannons.

3. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What regions can this cannon reach with its projectile?

The regions that this cannon can reach with its projectile depend on the initial velocity and launch angle. However, generally, the projectile can reach any region within its range, which is determined by the formula mentioned above.

5. How can this question be applied in real life?

This question has practical applications in fields such as engineering, ballistics, and sports. It can help engineers design and aim weapons, and it can also aid athletes in improving their throwing, kicking, or hitting skills by understanding the principles of projectile motion.