How far up the hill will the projectile land?

In summary, the problem involves finding the intersection of a parabola and a line in order to determine the distance a projectile will travel up a hill with an initial speed and angle. After setting the equations equal to each other, the correct approach is to find the displacement along the hypotenuse of the angle beta, rather than along the x-axis. A trigonometric function was also missing in the denominator of the parabola equation. After accounting for these factors, the problem can be solved by treating the projectile and a point on the hill directly below it as two objects launched vertically at the same time. The impact point can be located by using the time of flight and the constant vertical velocity of the point below the projectile.
skeer
My problem goes :

A projectile is fired with initial speed v_0 at an angle of \alpha up a hill slope \beta (\alpha > \beta)
a) How far up the hill will the projectile land.

Attempt to solution:

I understood that this is a problem where I need to find the intersection of the parabola and the line.

the function of the line is y= x tan (\beta)

The parabola is y = [gx^2+2x(v_0)^2cos (\alpha)sin(\alpha) ]/ [ 2(v_0)^2 (\alpha)]

After making them equal to each other I get

x= [2 (v_0)^2 cos (\alpha) sin (\alpha- \Beta) ] / gcos (\beta)

This is almost the answer... but somewhere I made a mistake or I am missing an step. Is my approach correct?

P.S. The answer is d= [2 (v_0)^2 cos (\alpha) sin (\alpha- \Beta) ] / g cos^2 (\beta)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skeer said:
The parabola is y = [gx^2+2x(v_0)^2cos (\alpha)sin(\alpha) ]/ [ 2(v_0)^2 (\alpha)]
Please use LaTeX:
##y = [gx^2+2x{v_0}^2\cos (\alpha)\sin(\alpha) ]/ [ 2{v_0}^2 (\alpha)]##
You've obviously left out a trig function in the denominator.
Restore that, then check it by e.g. evaluating y'(0).

I am new on the forum and I wasn't clear how to write formulas with LateX. I will from now on.

Also, I ask some of my friends in class how they solved the problem. My issue was that I was taking the displacement along the x; when actually I need to find the displacement along the hill ( or in other words the hypotenuse of the angle [itex] \beta [/itex])

Thank you for your help!

Imagine a point on the hill directly below the projectile, this point has a constant vertical velocity during the flight ( you can figure it from the projectile behaviour )
Then you can ignore horizontal activity and treat the problem as following :
The projectile and the point are launched vertically at the same time, the projectile having the greater velocity ( which is the vertical component of the launch velocity )

Have a look at this sketch :
A = launch velocity in m/s
B = ( constant ) horizontal vector in m/s = cosine F * A
C = vertical vector in m/s = sine F * A
D = ( constant ) vertical velocity of point on incline directly below the projectile = tan E * B
E = incline angle in degrees
F = launch angle in degrees
t = elapsed time in seconds
For impact point :
( D * t ) = ( C * t ) + ( ½ * - g * t ² )
Then :
( D * t ) - ( C * t ) = ½ * - g * t ²
D – C = ( ½ * - g * t ² ) / t
And :
( D – C ) / ( ½ * - g ) = t

With t you can locate the impact point x and y coordinates

Attachments

• p059.jpg
    p059.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 414
Thank dean barry for replying! That is what I was doing at the begging since I understood from the problem that the wanted the height (the value of y). But what the problem asked was to find the distance from the bottom of the hill to the hitting point along the hill. They are asking for the distance "d" in my drawing.
I solve the problem already :) . If you are curious and would like to see my work, let me know and I can upload a picture of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2918.JPG
    IMG_2918.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 485
please do, glad to be of assistance, regards, dean

Dean,
In the first picture you will find the drawing and the way I calculated the first time. In the second picture is how I was able to solve it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 452
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 504
thanks, dean

1. What is the Cannon and Hill Problem?

The Cannon and Hill Problem is a classic physics problem that involves determining the angle and velocity at which a projectile should be launched from a point on a hill in order to hit a target at a given distance.

2. Why is the Cannon and Hill Problem important?

The Cannon and Hill Problem is important because it demonstrates the principles of projectile motion and can be applied to real-world scenarios such as calculating the trajectory of a rocket or a baseball.

3. How is the Cannon and Hill Problem solved?

The Cannon and Hill Problem is solved using the equations of projectile motion, which take into account the initial angle and velocity of the projectile, as well as the effects of gravity and air resistance.

4. What factors can affect the solution to the Cannon and Hill Problem?

The solution to the Cannon and Hill Problem can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity and angle of the projectile, the height and slope of the hill, and the presence of air resistance or other external forces.

5. How can the Cannon and Hill Problem be applied in real life?

The Cannon and Hill Problem has various real-life applications, such as in military operations, sports, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the trajectory of a missile, the distance a golf ball will travel, or the trajectory of a rollercoaster.