Jacobi least time vs. Fermat Hamilton

In summary, the Fermat/Hamilton principle and the Jacobi least time principle are two variational principles used in physics. The Fermat/Hamilton principle is also known as the principle of least action, while the Jacobi least time principle is sometimes referred to as Jacobi's analogy of Fermat's principle. The two principles have some similarities, but also some differences. One possible reason for calling the Fermat/Hamilton principle more general is that it can be applied to a wider range of problems in physics. However, the Jacobi least time principle may have advantages in certain specific situations. It is not necessarily inferior to the Fermat/Hamilton principle, but it may be more useful in some cases.
andrewr
Could anyone give me a simple explanation as to why the Fermat/Hamilton principle would be called more general than the Jacobi least time principle? I am trying to understand what differences would result from using the one principle vs. the other; eg: where/in what way would the Jacobi least time be inferior?

I know basic ODE, PDE, linear algebra, and variational methods. I have a BSEE background.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I googled "Jacobi least time" and didn't get any results. I know what the Fermat/Hamiltonian principle is though. Could you describe the Jacobi least time principle? Maybe people might know it by a more common name.

RedX said:
Oh I see. Here's some lecture notes that explains it from baez's website:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/cm05week05.pdf

Thank you, that helps. The literature I was reading was ambiguous, I think "Jacobi least time" is supposed to be "Fermat's least time" and the author switched the names, or meant Jacobi's analogy of Fermat's principle for particles.

I still don't understand why one principle (either) would be more general than the other. Is "least time" ever inferior to "least action"? or vice versa?

--Thanks.

The Fermat/Hamilton principle and the Jacobi least time principle are both variational principles used in the study of mechanics and optics. However, the Fermat/Hamilton principle is considered to be more general because it can be applied to a wider range of physical systems and phenomena compared to the Jacobi least time principle.

One key difference between the two principles is that the Jacobi least time principle is limited to systems that can be described by a Lagrangian formalism, while the Fermat/Hamilton principle can be applied to both Lagrangian and non-Lagrangian systems. This means that the Fermat/Hamilton principle can be used to study a wider range of physical phenomena, such as electromagnetic fields, fluids, and quantum systems, which cannot be described by a Lagrangian formalism.

Another difference is that the Jacobi least time principle is based on the concept of minimizing the time taken to travel between two points, while the Fermat/Hamilton principle is based on the concept of minimizing the action, which is a more general quantity that takes into account both time and energy. This makes the Fermat/Hamilton principle more applicable to systems with varying energy levels, while the Jacobi least time principle may not be as effective in such cases.

In terms of practical applications, the Fermat/Hamilton principle has been widely used in the fields of optics and quantum mechanics, where the behavior of light and particles can be described using wave equations. On the other hand, the Jacobi least time principle has found more applications in classical mechanics and engineering, where systems can be described by a Lagrangian formalism.

Overall, while both principles have their own strengths and applications, the Fermat/Hamilton principle is considered to be more general and versatile in its application to a wider range of physical systems.

1. What is the difference between Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton?

Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton are two different approaches to solving the problem of light refraction. The main difference between them is their underlying assumptions and mathematical formulations.

2. Which approach is more commonly used in scientific research?

Both Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton have been extensively studied and used in various scientific fields. However, Fermat Hamilton is more commonly used in modern research due to its more robust mathematical framework and ability to handle complex scenarios.

3. How do Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton differ in their application?

Jacobi least time is often used in simple scenarios where light travels through homogeneous media, while Fermat Hamilton is more suitable for scenarios with varying refractive indices and complex geometries.

4. Can Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton be used interchangeably?

No, Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton cannot be used interchangeably. They have different assumptions and mathematical formulations, and using one in place of the other can lead to inaccurate results.

5. What are the limitations of Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton?

Jacobi least time and Fermat Hamilton both have limitations in their applicability. Jacobi least time is limited to simple scenarios and cannot handle multiple refractions, while Fermat Hamilton may not provide accurate results in scenarios with rapidly changing refractive indices or when light travels through highly anisotropic materials.