Hamilton Jacobi equation for time dependent potential

In summary, the problem is attempting to find a solution to a dynamical problem that is dependent upon time, but the equation is complicated and using a simple approach may not work.
DanielA

Homework Statement

Suppose the potential in a problem of one degree of freedom is linearly dependent upon time such that
$$H = \frac{p^2}{2m} - mAtx $$ where A is a constant. Solve the dynamical problem by means of Hamilton's principal function under the initial conditions t = 0, x = 0, ##p = mv_0##

Homework Equations

Hamilton's Principal function is of from S(x, P, t) or ##S(x,\alpha,t)## where alpha is a constant of motion.

Hamilton Jacobi equation:
$$\frac{1}{2m}\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}^2 - mAtx + \frac{\partial S}{\partial t} = 0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

In class today my professor admitted he just trial and errored to find S. I've been trying to do it, but I can't find any working solution. I recognize S will be some polynomial in form, with multiple mixed terms, but the squared term messed up any simpler solution I've tried. I've only attempted to get a similar functional form and iterate it and mess with constants out front to get it exact.
I've tried quadratic forms like ##(x-t)^2## and similar with the goal of crossing out the ##x^2 ## and ##t^2## terms to leave only the cross terms. I briefly considered attempting a Fourier Transform style solution like we were learning in Math Methods before realizing it wouldn't work.

I found a solution on Stack Exchange, but they use the solution obtained by hamilton's equations to obtain the principal function which just defeats the purpose it doing this. I know hamilton jacobi theory heavily favors time independent hamiltonians, but doing the above just makes me think that the whole question was pointless. https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...cobi-equation-with-time-dependent-hamiltonian

I'm just trying to find a method that can deal with the square or maybe a discussion on how to make educated guesses on a solution. All my searching of my textbooks and google have only given me solutions to linear partial differential equations which this one isn't because of the squared term.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably not going to be too satisfying. But, if you can motivate the ansatz ##S(x,t) = xf(t) + g(t)##, then it is not hard to determine functions ##f(t)## and ##g(t)## that will work.

Note that with this ansatz, ##\frac {\partial S}{\partial t} = x f'(t) + g'(t)##

##f'(t)## can then be chosen so that the ##xf'(t)## term cancels the middle term of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. Also, ##\frac {\partial S}{\partial x} = f(t)## and will therefore be a function of ##t## alone. So, the ##g'(t)## term in ##\frac {\partial S}{\partial t} ## can be chosen to cancel the first term in the H-J equation.

Hopefully, someone else can provide a better approach.

What is the Hamilton Jacobi equation for time dependent potential?

The Hamilton Jacobi equation is a mathematical equation used in the field of classical mechanics to describe the motion of a particle in a system with a time-dependent potential. It is a partial differential equation that relates the particle's position and momentum to the time-dependent potential.

How is the Hamilton Jacobi equation derived?

The Hamilton Jacobi equation is derived from the Hamiltonian function, which is a function that describes the total energy of a system. By using the Hamiltonian function, the equation can be derived through the principle of least action, which states that a particle will follow the path that minimizes the action.

What is the significance of the Hamilton Jacobi equation?

The Hamilton Jacobi equation is significant because it allows for the calculation of a particle's trajectory in a system with a time-dependent potential. This equation is often used in the study of celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and other areas of physics.

What is the difference between the Hamilton Jacobi equation and the Schrödinger equation?

The Hamilton Jacobi equation is a classical equation that describes the motion of a particle in a system with a time-dependent potential. On the other hand, the Schrödinger equation is a quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of a particle in a system with a time-independent potential. The two equations are related, but the Hamilton Jacobi equation is a more general form that can be applied to both classical and quantum systems.

How is the Hamilton Jacobi equation used in real-world applications?

The Hamilton Jacobi equation has various real-world applications, such as in the fields of astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving complex mathematical problems. Additionally, the equation has been used in the study of chaos theory and non-linear dynamics.