Jacobian determinant and volume change

In summary, the Jacobian determinant of a transformation in 3D space determines the local volume change. It represents a scaling factor of the local volume and is calculated using the displacement field and its jacobian. This information can be used to determine the volume of any parallelepiped under a transformation. The determinant is also important in understanding how the volume of a cube changes under an affine map, and can be approximated for smooth maps.
pamparana
Hello everyone,

So, I read somewhere that the Jacobian determinant of a transformation determines the local volume change.

Say I am in 3D space and I have the following relationship:

F(x', y', z') = F(x, y, z) + T(x, y, z)

The LHS gives the new position and the RHS is the old position + the displacement vector.

So, the gradient is:

Identity + Jacobian.

Now, my question is: what is this Jacobian of the displacement field telling me? From what I read, it sort of represents a scaling of the local volume. However, I am struggling to see that.

Also, is the identity matrix in the gradient formulation important to calculate this scaling factor or just looking at the Jacobian determinant of the displacement field suffice?? From what I have been reading on the net so far, the displacement field and its jacobian tells us everything about the volume change...

I have been struggling for a while to visualize and understand this Jacobian stuff but with no luck...

I would be really grateful for your help.

Many thanks,

Luca

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's like this. First, you got to know (show) that if you take 3 vectors v1,v2,v3 in R^3, then the volume of the parallelepiped that they span (more precisely, the volume of the convex hull of the set of points {0,v1,v2,v3}) is given, up to a ± sign, by the determinant of the matrix whose columns. I think I read in "history capsule" in a linear algebra textbook once that this is actually the property of the determinant that initially arose interest in the beast.

Alright, so, let's take the simplest case first and consider a linear map L:R^3-->R^3 and let (e1,e2,e3) be the standard basis of R^3. Consider the parallelepiped (cube) C spanned by e1,e2,e3. How does L transforms this "unit volume element"? Well, using linearity of L, you can show that L(C) is just the parallelepiped spanned by L(e1),L(e2),L(e3). And you can compute its volume by taking the (absolute value of) the determinant of the matrix whose columns are L(e1),L(e2),L(e3).

But since the derivative of a linear map is the linear map itself, the matrix whose columns are L(e1),L(e2),L(e3) is actually the jacobian matrix of L evaluated at the origin, DL_0. And so,

[tex]\mathrm{Vol}(L(C))=|\det DL_0|=|\mathrm{Jac}(L)_0|[/tex]

More generally, if C' is any parallelepiped based at 0 spanned by v1,v2,v3, then Vol(L(C'))=|det(matrix whose columns are L(v1),L(v2),L(v3))|. Then using some elementary linear algebra, you can show that Vol(L(C'))=Vol(C')Vol(L(C)).

The moral of the story here is that all the information relative to how the volume of a parallelepiped changes is contained in the information of how the volume of the standard unit cube C changes. Namely, if you want to know the volume of L(C') for C' a parallelepiped spanned by v1,v2,v3, then just compute the volume of C' and multiply by the volume of L(C).

Slight generalization: Consider an affine map A:R^3-->R^3 of the form A(x)=p+L(x-p), where p is some point of R^3 and L is a linear map. Then a parallelepiped based at p is of the form p+C' for C' a parallelepiped based at 0, and A(p+C')=p+L(C'), so Vol(A(p+C'))=Vol(L(C'))=Vol(C')Vol(L(C)).

Now, consider an arbitrary smooth map F:R^3-->R^3. Near a point p of R^3 (i.e., locally near p), F is very well approximated by the affine map [itex]A_p:\mathbb{R}^3\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^3:x\mapsto F(p)+DF_p(x-p)[/itex]. This statement is made precise by the very definition of the derivative of F at p as the (only) linear map DF_p verifying

[tex]0=\lim_{x\rightarrow p}\frac{|F(x)-F(p)-DF_p(x-p)|}{|x-p|}=\lim_{x\rightarrow p}\frac{|F(x)-A_p(x)|}{|x-p|}[/tex]

So, if you ask how the volume of a little cube p+C' based at p changes under the transformation F, the answer is: well, approximately as the volume changes under the affine map A_p. (And the smaller the cube, the better the approximation). So, according to the above,

[tex]\mathrm{Vol}(F(p+C'))\approx \mathrm{Vol}(A_p(p+C'))=\mathrm{Vol}(C')\mathrm{Vol}(DF_p(C))=\mathrm{Vol}(C')|\mathrm{Jac}(F)_p|[/tex]

And that is what the jacobian determinant has to do with "local volume change".

Related to Jacobian determinant and volume change

1. What is the Jacobian determinant?

The Jacobian determinant is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume change in a transformation of coordinates. It represents the scaling factor of the transformation and is calculated using partial derivatives.

2. How is the Jacobian determinant used in real-world applications?

The Jacobian determinant is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to calculate volume changes in transformations. It is also used in solving differential equations, optimizing functions, and in the study of fluid mechanics.

3. What is the relationship between the Jacobian determinant and volume change?

The Jacobian determinant is a measure of the volume change in a transformation. If the determinant is positive, it means the transformation increases the volume, while a negative determinant indicates a decrease in volume. A determinant of 1 means that the transformation preserves volume.

4. How is the Jacobian determinant related to the chain rule?

The chain rule is a fundamental concept in calculus, and the Jacobian determinant is used to extend it to multivariable functions. The determinant is a way to combine partial derivatives and calculate the rate of change in a given direction in a transformation.

5. What is the significance of the Jacobian determinant in the study of integrals?

The Jacobian determinant is crucial in calculating integrals in multiple dimensions. It is used to transform the integrand and the limits of integration when changing coordinates, making it an essential tool in solving problems in higher dimensions.