Jacobian transformation problem

In summary: On your mistake, you seem to be missing a very simple fact: \displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{x} \neq \log(x) + C, but instead, \displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{x} = \log|x| + C.You are trying to use u=xy , v=\frac{y}{x} when you should be using u=x , v=\frac{x}{y}.
oferon123

Homework Statement

Find surface inside four boundary curves:
[itex]xy = 4 , xy=8 , y=5x , y=15x[/itex]
using the transformation: [itex]u=xy , v=\frac{y}{x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm getting the new bounds to be:
[itex]4 < u < 8[/itex] , [itex] -15 < v < -5 [/itex] OR [itex] 5 < v < 15[/itex]
Jacobian is [itex]\frac{1}{2v}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After integration i get [itex]0.5*ln(v)[/itex] which I can't put -15 nor -5 in it..
On the solution they gave us, they completely ignore the surface at x,y < 0 and go only for 5 < v < 15 , which I assume is only relevant for the surface at x,y > 0...
As if they calculated only the half of the area.
I understand all I need to do is double this area, but where am I going wrong?
I attach this sketch I've drawn trying to understand what's going on:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They make use of the oddness of all four functions provided to calculate only one of those areas and then double the result.

Yes, I do understand that.
However I don't understand how your'e supposed to see that unless you draw everything.
More important - even if I do draw it, I don't understand why I get stuck with the method and can't integrate over -15 < v < -5
I obviously do something wrong if I can't, the question is what

Maybe it's got something to do with the transformation not being injective?

Note that for [itex]x<0[/itex] you have
[tex]\int \mathrm{d}x \frac{1}{x}=\ln(-x)+\text{const}.[/tex]

Honestly, it is not too hard to see that those functions are odd - I spotted it before even looking at your sketch of the functions. A function is odd if it satisfies [itex]f(-x) = -f(x)[/itex]. You can check that without drawing anything.

On your mistake, you seem to be missing a very simple fact: [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{x} \neq \log(x) + C[/itex], but instead, [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{x} = \log|x| + C[/itex].

Oh your'e right, thanks alot!

But now I have this new question I asked..
If this transformation is not injective, how come it works?
for example: for x=-1, y=-1 and x=1 y=1 we get the same v=1

Thanks again!

oferon123 said:
[itex]4 < u < 8[/itex] , [itex] -15 < v < -5 [/itex] OR [itex] 5 < v < 15[/itex]
I don't understand how you get -15 < v < -5. In both regions, x and y have the same sign, so u and v are always positive.

I tried to play with [itex]u=xy , v=\frac{y}{x}[/itex] a little and that's what i got.
If I'm wrong then where is the negative region in xy is transformed to in uv region?
The way I drew it - one goes to the upper square at uv, and the other goes to lower square.. Is it not?

What haruspex is saying is that you can't get negative values for u and v in the regions you want to find the area for. Negative values would show up in the second and the fourth quadrants, but not in the first and the third; and you don't have the curves [itex]xy = c[/itex] for c constant in those quadrants. It will still give the correct answer though, because it just happens to integrate into the same thing; albeit out of luck.

Related to Jacobian transformation problem

1. What is a Jacobian transformation?

A Jacobian transformation is a mathematical method used to change the variables in a multiple integral. It is used to convert integrals in one set of coordinates into integrals in a different set of coordinates.

2. Why is a Jacobian transformation used?

A Jacobian transformation is used to simplify the process of solving integrals in multiple variables. By converting to a new set of coordinates, the integral can be rewritten in a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

3. How is a Jacobian transformation calculated?

A Jacobian transformation involves taking the derivatives of the original variables with respect to the new variables. These derivatives are then used to construct a matrix, known as the Jacobian matrix, which is used to transform the integral.

4. What is the significance of the Jacobian transformation?

The Jacobian transformation is significant in many fields of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It allows for the simplification of complex integrals, making them more manageable to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Jacobian transformation?

The Jacobian transformation can only be used for certain types of integrals, specifically those with continuous and differentiable functions. It may also introduce additional complexity in some cases, so it is important to carefully consider when and how to use it.