Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
ZapperZ said:
Freshly-made waffles
I'd like two right now. That looks sooo good.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
I'd like two right now. That looks sooo good.

You can get as many as you want when you are at the Magic Kingdom. I haven't found any place else that does this. And even in Walt Disney World, I have only found one place that serves this: Sleepy Hollow counter service inside The Magic Kingdom.

I usually buy this in the afternoon as a "snack", or buy this and bring it over to where we are sitting waiting for the fireworks or the parade. Inevitably, some people around me will ask where I got it, because it looks so delicious.

If only I get $1 for every person I showed where to get this...

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
I made chocolate chip cookies. (recipe, replaced baking soda with yeast and 100g dark brown sugar + 60g white sugar)
They are yummy, unfortunately there are real chips any more, they instead made a goo-y center :-)

This about half the yield of the recipe (30-40 cookies ranging from the depicted size above to about 1/3rd of the size)
IMG_20150611_222606.jpg

Astronuc said:
Sausage Cheesecake Appetizer - sounds rich
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-cheesecake-appetizer
For some reason, this reminds me of a chip dip that a friend showed me how to make.
Not for those who are worried about their cholesterol.

Brown 1 pound of sausage
Melt 1 pound of cheese in a sauce pan
When the cheese is melted, mix in 16 - 20 oz. of salsa and the sausage.

Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Borg said:
For some reason, this reminds me of a chip dip that a friend showed me how to make.
Not for those who are worried about their cholesterol.

Brown 1 pound of sausage
Melt 1 pound of cheese in a sauce pan
When the cheese is melted, mix in 16 - 20 oz. of salsa and the sausage.

Serve warm with tortilla chips.
That's a twist on the OLD Ro*Tel tomato cheese dip, I serve mine in a mini crock pot to keep it warm and melted.

Likes Astronuc
for the truly lazy: make one large serving of macaroni strain and cool under cold water add a strained can of tuna and a generous portion of mayo add spicing to taste.

the 20 minute meal.

for the BBQ crowd: slice some onions cut up some other favorite vegies add a few baby tomatos add a cut of meat seasoned to taste wrap all into tin foil with edges closed so it doesn't leak throw it on the BBQ for about twice as long as you'd cook the meat open on the grill at a medium to low flame. so about 30/40 mins for a standard sized steak instead of 15/20. flip halfway through this will broil your steak and the meat will soak up all the taste from the vegies makes your steak taste like a roast. the vegies cook in the meat juice and water from each other so they will be nice and tender.

dragoneyes001 said:
for the truly lazy: make one large serving of macaroni strain and cool under cold water add a strained can of tuna and a generous portion of mayo add spicing to taste.

the 20 minute meal.

While cooking the macaroni one could dice some onion, bell pepper and carrots quite fine and add to it as well.
Full sized meal in 20 minutes. Great food when it's hot outside.

dragoneyes001 said:

the 20 minute meal.
I slice up 7 hard-boiled eggs in my version with about 3 cups of elbow macaroni.

Borg said:
I slice up 7 hard-boiled eggs in my version with about 3 cups of elbow macaroni.

macaroni salad. don't forget a few chopped up shallots

I was shopping with a friend at a Somali grocery store and he mentioned a complete protein combination - fava beans and tahini. I've heard of such food combinations before, but I was skeptical. However, apparently he is correct.

The following combinations provide a complete protein or set of amino acids, which humans need. I will be investigating further to verify.

Hummus: Chickpeas and tahini (sesame seed butter).
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/hummus-recipe.html
http://www.hummusplace.com/?categoryId=45476

Fava beans and tahini

Black beans and rice

Lentils and bulgur wheat

Bulgur Salad with Cucumbers, Red Peppers, Chickpeas, Lemon and Dill
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2013/0...rs-red-peppers-chick-peas-lemon-and-dill.html

Last edited by a moderator:
JorisL said:
While cooking the macaroni one could dice some onion, bell pepper and carrots quite fine and add to it as well.
Full sized meal in 20 minutes. Great food when it's hot outside.
There is a warm Sicilian tuna dish, hot rice, canned tuna and mayonaise (Hellmans), salt and pepper to, taste, serve hot. So good, use good Italian canned tuna for the best experience, but it's delicious no matter what you use.

Evo said:
You must be one of those unfortunate few that think it tastes like soap, that's too bad, it's really delicious. I can't eat papaya/mangoes, it tastes like cheap perfume to me. horrible.

If that's what mangoes taste like to you (perhaps a genetic trait you possess), then that is really unfortunate -- mangoes are among my list of favourite fruits. Although in your other post, you did say that you were served iced tea with papaya/mango -- I question whether there was actual papaya/mango juice in it, since artificial flavours seem to abound in iced teas (I personally despise iced teas that I don't make myself).

Went to a brunch this past week to a friend's house. I decided to make and bring blueberry scones. These scones have always gone well and a favorite of my close friends. It's basically a recipe out of King Arthur Flour cookbook, with a minor variation by me with the addition of half a teaspoon of grated orange rind. It perks up the flavor of the blueberries. I like this recipe because it uses a mixture of regular and whole wheat flour.

Here they are just out of the oven.
MIQl8j.jpg

And here they are, all packed in a basket, ready to head out for brunch and be eaten.
16ETgW.jpg

Zz.

I love those weeks between end of exams and start of my job for the holiday.
Lots of cooking and other non-school things to catch up on.
Tomorrow I'll attempt http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ream-and-toasted-almonds/#dXSEvTvRmF1rIDY8.97
I'm making ice cream and need 8 yolks for that. The leftover whites become meringue.

Pictures should follow. I'm also making a rig for sun drying some peppers without having to fend of a million insects.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Evo
Peppers are drying, let's hope I can grind them into cayenne powder in 2-3 days
20150630_135705.jpg

Edit: Meringue is in the oven, quite easy when you have a kenwood at your disposal.
Ice cream is in the fridge prior to putting it in the ice machine.

Last edited:
Update, my meringue didn't fail. Here's some pictures

20150630_165719.jpg

Little meringue cookies, kind of chewy on the inside.

20150630_165727.jpg

Tomorrow I'll add rhubarb on top, no cream. It's sweet as is and cream would be too much in my opinion.
The sourness of the rhubarb should be great on top of this.

Likes atyy and Silicon Waffle
Y'know, sometime all you want is a thick, juicy hamburger. That's what we had for dinner last night al fresco.

This is almost 3/4 lb of ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, ground cumin, and ground coriander and cooked on the grill. It is resting on a bed of baby kale, and topped with grain mustard, sport peppers, red onions, and tomatoes, served on a pretzel bun. I also cut potato wedges and put them on the grill. And the final side dish is cottage fries. Chasing it all down is a nice glass of Cabernet.

3K798c.jpg

Zz.

Likes Evo, Silicon Waffle and dlgoff
Ugh, I'm on a tight budget this month...
DSC_0001.png

Likes OmCheeto and Evo
Bandersnatch said:
Ugh, I'm on a tight budget this month...
View attachment 87003

You could always grow a garden, or, pretend, to be an idiot.

One of the Chook kids from across the street, about 5 yo afaict, came over yesterday, and complimented my "flowers".
I currently have no flowers, so I was a bit confused, and asked him to point out a "flower".
He pointed at a tomato.

I gave him the tomato.

somewhat.nasty.over.ripe.tomato.jpg

not the one, but a reasonable facsimile that I picked today​

Attachments

• Chook.kids.jpg
    Chook.kids.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 331
I wonder what their parents think about you giving their kids nightshade berries...

Bandersnatch said:
I wonder what their parents think about you giving their kids nightshade berries...

Their command of the English language is quite limited, so it will probably be several years before I hear about it.

ps. The facsimile was quite tasty, smothered in basil and olive oil.

garden.pizza.jpg

pps. I grabbed a couple of yellow pear 'maters, as I thought it would round out the color.
They are dreadfully bad by themselves: Dry, flavorless. weird non-tomatoish texture. Blech!

OmCheeto said:
They are dreadfully bad by themselves: Dry, flavorless. weird non-tomatoish texture. Blech!
Yea. Those nightshade seeds are like that.

Evo said:
Yes, please do.
I happened across a food show on TV a couple of days ago about Cajun foods. They indicated that just using a Cajun spices didn't make it Cajun. So I may have misspoken/mislabeled the baked zucchini. Anyway I overlooked another huge one and did it up the same way. Use liberal amounts of what you see on both sides letting it soak in for an afternoon. Then bake at 325°F for an hour. It may not be real Cajun, but you could have fooled me.

Cajunzucchini.JPG

Edit: OOPS Wrong forum. Could you move it Evo? Sorry about that.

Last edited:
What do they think makes something cajun?

Evo said:
What do they think makes something cajun?
Mostly they were talking about real chilies instead of my "in the bottle" stuff. Shrimp and rice were used a lot also. They were mainly talking about foods in Louisiana where early on they just used about anything they could get their hands on that was locally grown or caught.btw: thanks for moving.

dlgoff said:
Mostly they were talking about real chilies instead of my "in the bottle" stuff. Shrimp and rice were used a lot also. They were mainly talking about foods in Louisiana where early on they just used about anything they could get their hands on that was locally grown or caught.btw: thanks for moving.
PISH.
No reason you can't use dried peppers, do they stop using peppers during the winter months?

Ohh, I am growing these.

Cajun Belle – The Cajun Belle is the ultimate pepper to have if you love the combination of sweet with heat. They average about 2″ in size, and have a seed core that is easy to remove. They make an incredible stuffed appetizer, are great to chop up in salads and salsa or chili, or to use on a sandwich. An added benefit of the Cajun Belle – they freeze really well and are great to pull out for use during those cold winter months. The plants are absolutely beautiful in the garden or landscape – filling up with 50 or more brightly colored peppers ranging from green to orange to bright red when fully ripe.

http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013...-to-grow-all-kinds-of-peppers-in-your-garden/

Evo said:
I'd like to try those also.

Today I bought the ingredients for "bread & butter pickles" but for peppers. I did this with jalapenos last summer and they were/are outstanding. You don't get the sweetness after they've aged/pickled. As a mater of fact there was enough left over liquid (along with last years remaining jalapenos) that I put the ones I've picked this year in there. I'm going to do this with the Hungarian Wax peppers. I have four plant of them that I had planed on using for salsa as they can get a little warm and even hot (don't know why they're called sweet). But since the tomatoes are so late coming on and I can't eat enough to keep up with them, I decided to pickle them too. Besides, that's a very simple and easy way to make use of them.

OmCheeto said:
You could always grow a garden, or, pretend, to be an idiot.

One of the Chook kids from across the street, about 5 yo afaict, came over yesterday, and complimented my "flowers".
I currently have no flowers, so I was a bit confused, and asked him to point out a "flower".
He pointed at a tomato.

I gave him the tomato.

View attachment 87005
not the one, but a reasonable facsimile that I picked today​
Oh, that is so sad. There should be laws against doing that to a tomato. I don't know if I can even look you in the eye now OM.

The best little tomatoes I've grown was the grape tomato, OH MY! what great flavor, but that plant grew at least 100 feet, and put out large clusters of tomatoes constantly, you must grow one, you'll only need one plant.

Evo said:
Oh, that is so sad. There should be laws against doing that to a tomato. I don't know if I can even look you in the eye now OM.
:nb) A bit too ripe?

dlgoff said:
But since the tomatoes are so late coming on and I can't eat enough to keep up with them, I decided to pickle them too.

I was just looking into pickling tomatoes a couple of days ago. Does that work with all sizes of tomatoes?

OmCheeto said:
I was just looking into pickling tomatoes a couple of days ago. Does that work with all sizes of tomatoes?
Never tried to pickle tomatoes.
What I should have written to avoid confusion shown in red:
dlgoff said:
But since the tomatoes are so late coming on and I can't eat enough (of the peppers) to keep up with them, I decided to pickle them (the peppers) too.

dlgoff said:
Never tried to pickle tomatoes.
What I should have written to avoid confusion shown in red:

Oh. Drats!
hmmmm...
Well, I read up on pickling tomatoes, but am too lazy to put together all those ingredients, so the only part of the procedure I followed was poking holes in the tomatoes.
As with my lemon yellow cucumbers, I simply put them in a half empty jar of store bought pickles.
hmmmm...
I put them in last night about 9 pm.
I just tried one, and it tastes like a tomato dipped in pickle juice.
I think this is a silly idea.

ps. Do not read the comments from the link I posted:
Connie Kisor; "What is 1.5 cups"?
Jaime; "a cup and a half"
Louise; "really"?
:wideeyed: