Which JK Flip Flop is Best for Simple State Machines Using a 9V Battery?

In summary: This is called an "inverted" trigger.In summary, the D flip-flop is an old-fashioned type of flip-flop that is no longer used in state machines. There are many different types of D flip-flops that are available, and they are much easier to design with than a JK flip-flop.
mistermotown
Hi, I am looking to build some very simple state machines, with JK flip flops. I am planning to run them off a 9 volt battery, if that is feasible.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what JK flip flop to buy, preferably from Mouser?
I know Mouser has about 300 different parameters to pick from, I just want someone to suggest a good starting JK. I am not going to be doing anything high power, or fast frequency switching. I believe I am going to want a positive trigger though.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Type 4027 or HEF4027/CD4027

JK flip-flops are old-fashioned. D latches and D flip-flops cover about all uses and have replaced all others. It would need a very special need and tricky circuitry to justify a JK.

Plus, a state machine traditionally uses D flip-flops, with logic between. Anything else is probably too complicated to design.

D-flip flops still have a clock input for them to change states, right?
Do you have any suggestions for a D-flip flop?

mistermotown said:
D-flip flops still have a clock input for them to change states, right?
Do you have any suggestions for a D-flip flop?

Yes and they're much easier to design with as the "next state" is simply "D". (So no need to mess about with translating "next states" into equations for J and K).

And as long as you are sticking with purely synchronous designs (all f/flops having common clock) then hex and octal D flipflop packages are readily available.

As Enthalpy said, JK flipflops are pretty outdated. Well actually any random SSI logic implementation is going to be outdated, but it's probably still a very good "hands on" learning experience for familiarizing yourself with logic design.

The basic idea behind J-K was that some of the next state logic could (if you were lucky) be shoehorned into the J-k functionality, thereby perhaps saving a gate or two in the combination logic. You'll probably get a bigger saving however by just making use of the good number of D f/flops (8) that you can get in a single SSI IC, and then just using an all nand combinatorial logic.

74xx273 is an octal edge triggered D flipflop with a reset line (so good for forcing a well defined initial state). The "xx" in this code represents the exact logic family. Eg 74HC273 is the part in the "HC" (5 volt high performance cmos) logic family, probably one of the more readily available types.

Last edited:

1. What is a JK flip flop and how does it work?

A JK flip flop is a type of sequential logic circuit that is used to store and manipulate binary data. It is made up of two inputs (J and K) and two outputs (Q and Q'). The J and K inputs control the state of the flip flop, while the Q and Q' outputs store and display the current state. The flip flop operates based on the clock signal, and the output changes only when the clock signal transitions from high to low.

2. What are the advantages of using a JK flip flop over other types of flip flops?

One advantage of the JK flip flop is that it has a toggle function, meaning that the output state can be changed without changing the input state. This is useful for certain applications where data needs to be stored and manipulated. Additionally, the JK flip flop has a more predictable and stable behavior compared to other types of flip flops.

3. How do you implement a JK flip flop in a circuit design?

A JK flip flop can be implemented using logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. The inputs J and K are connected to the inputs of these gates, while the outputs Q and Q' are connected to the output of the gates. The clock signal is connected to the gate inputs to control the flip flop's operation.

4. Can a JK flip flop be used in asynchronous circuits?

Yes, a JK flip flop can be used in asynchronous circuits. However, it is important to properly synchronize the clock signal to ensure the correct operation of the flip flop. Asynchronous circuits require careful consideration of timing and signal propagation to avoid hazards and glitches.

5. How do you troubleshoot common issues with JK flip flops?

Some common issues with JK flip flops include incorrect logic connections, improper clock signal synchronization, and faulty components. To troubleshoot these issues, it is important to carefully examine the circuit design and check for any errors or faulty connections. Additionally, using a logic analyzer or signal generator can help identify any timing or signal propagation issues. Replacing faulty components can also help resolve any issues with the flip flop's operation.