Job opportunities? Tricky background situation

In summary, the speaker is a recent psychology graduate who is now pursuing a higher education in physics. They are looking for job opportunities related to applied physics, materials science, or aerospace engineering, but their experience in physics is limited. They are seeking advice on how to showcase their skills and find job opportunities in their local market.
MozAngeles
Hi there,
So I have a tricky situation. I've recently graduated with a psychology degree but I've been going back to school to pursue a higher education in physics so far its going well. But my current job situation is absolutely nothing related to the field (just something to pay those schools loans and get me by), so I wanted to know if anyone knew about any opportunities. A job that can help me show my intersest in the field (applied physics/materials schence/ aerospace engineering), but keeping in mind my actual physics experience is limited. Any help or information would help to get me stepping in the right direction, so thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Job markets are local.

Figure out what your skills are for such a job and how you can document them on a resume.

Investigate your local job market accordingly.

What job opportunities are available for individuals with a tricky background situation?

There are various job opportunities available for individuals with a tricky background situation. Some options may include remote or freelance work, self-employment, or working for companies that have a history of hiring individuals with similar backgrounds.

How can I address my tricky background situation during a job interview?

It is important to be honest and upfront about your background during a job interview. Be prepared to explain any gaps in your employment history and highlight any skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the position. It may also be helpful to practice discussing your background with a friend or mentor beforehand.

Are there any industries or companies that are more open to hiring individuals with a tricky background situation?

While every company and industry may have different hiring practices, some may be more open to hiring individuals with a tricky background situation. It is important to research and target companies that have a history of hiring individuals with similar backgrounds or have a strong focus on diversity and inclusivity.

Should I disclose my tricky background situation on my resume?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the specific job you are applying for. If your background is relevant to the job, it may be beneficial to include it on your resume. However, if it is not relevant or may potentially harm your chances of getting the job, it may be best to leave it off and address it later in the hiring process.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting a job with a tricky background situation?

Networking and building relationships with individuals in your desired industry can greatly improve your chances of getting a job with a tricky background situation. Additionally, gaining new skills and experiences through volunteering, internships, or online courses can make you a more competitive candidate. It is also important to highlight any positive changes or growth you have made since your tricky background situation.