Joseph Polchinski's physics autobiography

• A
  • Thread starter mitchell porter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the author discusses his memories of being a theoretical physicist and how the equivalence principle might be wrong. There is still discussion about the problem, but it seems like the community is trying to attack the problem from different angles.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
I'm posting here, because this memoir is actually full of comments about interesting BSM physics too.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.09093
Memories of a Theoretical Physicist
Joseph Polchinski
(Submitted on 30 Aug 2017)
While I was dealing with a brain injury and finding it difficult to work, two friends (Derek Westen, a friend of the KITP, and Steve Shenker, with whom I was recently collaborating), suggested that a new direction might be good. Steve in particular regarded me as a good writer and suggested that I try that. I quickly took to Steve's suggestion. Having only two bodies of knowledge, myself and physics, I decided to write an autobiography about my development as a theoretical physicist.
This is not written for any particular audience, but just to give myself a goal. It will probably have too much physics for a nontechnical reader, and too little for a physicist, but perhaps there with be different things for each. Parts may be tedious. But it is somewhat unique, I think, a blow-by-blow history of where I started and where I got to.
Probably the target audience is theoretical physicists, especially young ones, who may enjoy comparing my struggles with their own. Some disclaimers: This is based on my own memories, jogged by the arXiv and Inspire. There will surely be errors and omissions. And note the title: this is about my memories, which will be different for other people. Also, it would not be possible for me to mention all the authors whose work might intersect mine, so this should not be treated as a reference work.
Comments: 150 pages

Likes arivero, Haelfix, George Jones and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dear! I flipped to the end to see what brain injury he had, and was both dismayed and amused to find it was "brane cancer".

atyy said:
I flipped to the end to see what brain injury he had
I did exactly the same hing.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
This led me to his wiki entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Polchinski

So is the equivalence principle wrong or something in QM is incorrect, any news on this matter?

The issues the firewall paper brought to light and the refinement of the information loss paradox still holds (5 years later). None of the proposed solutions are viewed as settled, and the problem remains too difficult to broach with the tools we have. Therefore the current view of the community is to attack the problem from the side using the lessons that were learned and to build more progressive toy models. So you will see a lot about error correcting codes, emergent holography, the SYK model, tensor networks and entanglement as the glue of spacetime etc.

Likes atyy
Haelfix said:
The issues the firewall paper brought to light and the refinement of the information loss paradox still holds (5 years later). None of the proposed solutions are viewed as settled, and the problem remains too difficult to broach with the tools we have. Therefore the current view of the community is to attack the problem from the side using the lessons that were learned and to build more progressive toy models. So you will see a lot about error correcting codes, emergent holography, the SYK model, tensor networks and entanglement as the glue of spacetime etc.
I've seen the error correcting codes' approach from Jim Gate's papers, didn't find the time to read it thoroughly though.

The theories are supposed to depict dual theories close together,
separated alternately by S and T dualities. But I somehow switched the two
heterotic theories, both in the colloquia and in my book

Good that finally someone is going to fix this. I have read some article actually labelling T and S the sides of the hexagon. But still I do not see how the six sides are either T ot S. For instance, IIB to I is orientifolding isn't it?

Likes atyy
Likes atyy

Related to Joseph Polchinski's physics autobiography

1. What is Joseph Polchinski's Physics Autobiography?

Joseph Polchinski's Physics Autobiography is a book written by Joseph Polchinski himself, discussing his personal and professional journey as a theoretical physicist.

2. What are some of the key topics covered in the book?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including Polchinski's early interests in science, his academic career and research, his contributions to string theory and quantum field theory, and his thoughts on the future of physics.

3. Is this book suitable for non-scientists?

While the book is primarily aimed at a scientific audience, it can also be enjoyed by non-scientists who are interested in learning about the life and work of a renowned physicist.

4. What are some of the highlights of the book?

The book includes personal anecdotes and insights from Polchinski's career, as well as explanations of complex scientific concepts in a clear and accessible manner. It also includes illustrations and diagrams to aid in understanding the material.

5. Where can I purchase a copy of the book?

The book can be purchased online through major booksellers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, as well as in select bookstores.