Joule kelvin expansion, thermodynamics

In summary, for a jk expansion, dU, dQ, and dW all equal 0. However, there is also mass flow energy that must be accounted for. A Joule Kelvin (Joule Thomson) process typically reduces to an isenthalpic process. A jk expansion should not be confused with a free expansion of gas, where the gas expands into a vacuum. Additionally, for an ideal gas, the change in temperature is 0 even if there is a change in pressure and volume.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

for a jk expansion, I know dU=0. I think this is because dQ=0 as its isolated and dW = 0 as there is no work done against the surroundings.

but is dW 0? does the gas do work against itself?

I have also seen that the temperature change of an ideal gas = 0. how can this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, dU = dQ = dW = 0. However, there is mass flow energy that must be accounted for. The Joule Kelvin (also called Joule Thomson) is a throttling process which usually reduces to an isenthalpic process.

I think I may have confused a jk expansion with a free expansion of gas where the gas is confined in volume V then is allowed to expand into a vacuum.

could you please explain further about this "flow energy"?
and for an ideal gas, I don't see how change in T =0 if there is a change in P and V

Related to Joule kelvin expansion, thermodynamics

1. What is the Joule-Kelvin expansion?

The Joule-Kelvin expansion, also known as the Joule-Thomson effect, is a phenomenon in thermodynamics where a gas experiences a temperature change when it expands through a porous plug or valve without any external work or heat transfer.

2. How does the Joule-Kelvin expansion relate to thermodynamics?

The Joule-Kelvin expansion is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that helps us understand how gases behave under different conditions, particularly in terms of temperature changes during expansion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the temperature change in a Joule-Kelvin expansion?

The magnitude of the temperature change in a Joule-Kelvin expansion is affected by the initial pressure and temperature of the gas, as well as the type of gas and the properties of the porous material through which it expands.

4. How is the Joule-Kelvin expansion used in practical applications?

The Joule-Kelvin expansion is used in various applications, such as refrigeration and air conditioning systems, to produce cooling effects. It is also used in natural gas processing to separate different components of the gas mixture based on their different Joule-Kelvin coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to the Joule-Kelvin expansion?

One limitation of the Joule-Kelvin expansion is that it only applies to ideal gases, which do not exist in reality. Real gases exhibit deviations from ideal gas behavior, particularly at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the Joule-Kelvin expansion is a reversible process, meaning that the gas must be returned to its original state for the temperature change to be reversed.