Is DIY Model Rocket Engine Making Safe?

In summary, the conversation is about model rocketry and specifically making rocket engines. One person is looking for guidance and advice, while another person shares their experience with homemade rocket fuel and the dangers associated with it. The overall consensus is that attempting to make rocket fuel on one's own is extremely dangerous and it is recommended to seek guidance from experienced individuals or join a model rocketry hobby group. Safety precautions should always be taken seriously when dealing with explosives.
Arsonade
i have been into model rocketry for a very long time now, and i think that it is about time i learn how to start making the engines, does anyone know how to do this? the only explinations i have seen is one printed by Aerospace model rocket engine company who basically gave 10 reasons why you shouldn't and then proceeded to basically call the people that do freaking idiots. however i know for a fact that there are people who make thee engines and it cannot be as incedibly imposible as they seem to allude to, i am not an idiot and do not intend to end my life by building a model rocket engine, therefore, i will go well beyond being carefull. i will be uber-carefull!

right then can anyone help me?

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
There have been many accidents where fingers and hands where blown off by people making solid rocket fuel.

Basically one needs and oxidizer, like potassium or ammonium perchlorate, or perhaps a sodium or potassium nitrate, then a fuel component like charcoal, aluminum or something else that burns. Perchlorates, while very efficient oxidizers, are considered significant pollutants ( http://www.ewg.org/reports/rocketscience/chap3.html ).

One has to use materials, like wood vessel and implements, to avoid static charge. Mix small batches. Then pack it in an appropriate tube and mold.

You'll need a good design drawing (model) for the rocket motor design.

I did some of this as a teenager.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch

i will not blow up

Adam

and by the way,, if that's u in the picture, i look just like you lol

Adam

Arsonade,

Please try to find a model rocketry hobby group in your area, and go to some of their meetings. Many of the larger groups DO make their own solid rocket fuel, usually with rather good precautions. I'd much rather you learn to do such things with experienced guidance than on your own.

- Warren

well that's what i should do...

i take extreme caution with making the rocket engines though (i just started, its going ok) however i don't like the rocketry safty precautions set up.

Give me meter long rocket engines strapped to my car or give me death!

not a very good analogy there

Adam

You don't like safety precautions? That sounds pretty stupid, Adam.

- Warren

chroot said:
Arsonade,

Please try to find a model rocketry hobby group in your area, and go to some of their meetings. Many of the larger groups DO make their own solid rocket fuel, usually with rather good precautions. I'd much rather you learn to do such things with experienced guidance than on your own.

- Warren
I would echo chroot's and Astronuc's sentiments. Even the folks with experience doing this have accidents. We had a model rocketry hobbyist blow himself up in his basement around a year ago doing this. Because he liked to keep a decent supply of pre-made fuel and engines, he wound up dropping half his house in on top of him (just in case he survived the initial explosion).

I liked to use Potassium Chlorate + Sucrose as my rockey fuel, that I intern then packed into a metal pipe [<-- NOT RECOMMENDED!], ... that is until I had my accident.
It produced a very effective and "cool" looking rocket. but it was also, so very very dangerous, i'll leave it to your imaginations to figure out what happened, but let's say, it put me off homemade rocketry for a while.

Best to experiment with small amounts first, nothing too elaborate or big, and then even when you feel its time to move up, exercise extreme caution, even if you done think anything will go wrong.

Again, I'm going to give the Offical Physicsforums.com Advice: don't attempt to make rocket fuel on your own. You will get hurt. Ask someone experienced to show you how to do it.

- Warren

Do as chroot says.

I had a high school teacher who had his hand blown off and one lost as a result of trying to retrieve a glass container of solid rocket fuel from the hood of a car. The car had been in the sun (so the hood was very hot), and a student placed it there while doing something. The teacher realized the danger and just as he put his hand on the container, it exploded! I believe the student was killed (IIRC the base of the container became shrapnel and hit the student in the chest).

Don't be foolish, and don't take unnecessary risks!

1. What materials do I need to make a model rocket engine?

The materials you will need include potassium nitrate, sugar, water, a mixing bowl, a measuring cup, a spoon, a stove or hot plate, and a mold for shaping the engine.

2. How do I mix the ingredients to make the rocket engine fuel?

To mix the fuel, first measure out 65% potassium nitrate and 35% sugar by weight. Then, mix the two dry ingredients in a bowl. Gradually add in small amounts of water and mix until the consistency is similar to wet sand.

3. How do I shape the rocket engine?

To shape the engine, you can use a mold made out of PVC pipe or a cardboard tube. Pack the mixed fuel into the mold tightly, leaving a small hole in the center for the ignition fuse. Let the fuel dry and harden in the mold before removing it.

4. How do I ignite the model rocket engine?

To ignite the engine, insert a fuse or igniter into the hole in the center of the fuel. You can use a commercial igniter or make your own by wrapping a small piece of paper around a thin wire and coating it with black powder. Then, attach the igniter to a launch system and follow the instructions for launching your rocket.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making model rocket engines?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making and launching model rocket engines. Wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses, and work in a well-ventilated area. Keep flammable materials away from the work area and always have a fire extinguisher nearby. Follow all instructions carefully and never attempt to relight a failed rocket motor.