Just finished my A Levels, maths study advice before uni?

In summary, the author recommends programming and electronics as two useful ways to expand one's knowledge.
Tibbz
Hi everyone,

So I'm currently in the middle of my summer holiday (waiting for A Level results) and I'm getting pretty bored of not knowing what to do. (I have contacted some charities for volunteer work but still waiting to hear, anyway that's beside the point)

At A Level I studied Maths (Core 1-4, Mechanics 1 and 2) and Further maths (Further Pure 1-3, Mech 3, Stats 1, Decision 1) , so I have some knowledge of calculus, vectors (3d lines, planes), 1st/2nd order differential equations, mechanics, complex numbers etc.

Basically I want to continue to expand on my maths/physics knowledge before I (hopefully) go to university in September to study physics. However I don't really know where to start from, could anyone offer some advice on what topics of maths(or physics) that I could look into and hopefully understand/learn from my current level of knowledge?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going for physics?

Then read the Feynman lectures!

axmls said:
Are you going for physics?

Then read the Feynman lectures!

Ah yes I do have those bookmarked, and have read some of the early pages already :) I will continue do read them!

You've pretty much covered all the relevant maths you're realistically going to need or indeed be able to grasp at this stage. Anything else you'll either not need or will be taught to you in a lot more depth once you begin your course anyway.

Reviewing the Feynman Lectures is a great idea on the physics side however as they help develop your physical intuition. You could find an old copy of Young and Freedman on ebay or something and work through some of that, since University Physics with Modern Physics is basically every single topic you'll do in first year (although some,
e.g. mechanics and EM, you'll probably go into more depth on).

Getting some problem based book for basic calculus may be useful so you can keep your computational skills sharp. The Schaum's guides are useful int his respect as while they aren't very didactic they have tons of (usually worked) problems. The Schaum's Guide of Advanced Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers in particular covers basically all the maths you're likely to encounter in a typical single honours physics degree in the UK, so if you get a copy now you can work on the stuff you know over the summer and then have it for exam prep for your future courses at a later date. It's also pretty cheap usually.

While arguably not really relevant you could look at some pure maths topics. Yet Another Introduction to Analysis by Victor Bryant was basically designed for post A-level Maths students to develop the concepts of Real Analysis. I found it tediously slow personally, but for a beginner it's probably a decent introduction. I never finished reading it so I can't really comment on how good it is. Similarly Linear Algebra Done Wrong covers Linear Algebra allegedly at a fairly introductory level and is supposedly quite good. It's also a free web resource unlike the previously mentioned things, which may be available for free on the web but aren't necessarily legally so :P

Many people recommend Spivak's Calculus which covers broadly similar levels of calculus as at A-level but from a more theoretical/analysis-oriented point of view. It's supposedly very good didactically and has a good breadth and depth of problems. On the downside I think it's often quite pricey.

artfullounger said:
*Much helpful advice*

Thank you! :)

Certainly plenty of things to look into, and I do have a nice thick book full off problems from trig to way past single variable calculus, so I'll dive into that too!

Tibbz said:
Basically I want to continue to expand on my maths/physics knowledge before I (hopefully) go to university in September to study physics. However I don't really know where to start from, could anyone offer some advice on what topics of maths(or physics) that I could look into and hopefully understand/learn from my current level of knowledge?

Thanks! :)

My advice would be to do something that is actually useful instead:wink:
You will have plenty of opportunities to study math once you've started university, self studying for a few weeks now is not going to make much of a difference. Hence, I would instead focus on learning something that would be very useful to know but won't be taught at university (at least at most universities in the UK). Buy yourself a a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino (or something similar) and learn to program it to be point where you can say make an LED blink (note that the price of a Pi is about the same as for a textbook)..

Knowing a little bit about practical electronics will be a big help if you e.g. decide to apply for summer internships while at university since it would make you much more "useful" in a lab. I tend to get something like 10 applicants whenever I advertise for summer students, and I always end up hiring the student who has shown at least some aptitude for doing something a bit more practical (the student I had this year actually used a Pi to make some control electronics for one of our experiments).
If you don't want (or can) do something practical I would instead suggest you try to learn a bit of Python programming (if you get a Pi this is something you will learn anyway). It is -again- something that they are unlikely to teach you at university (at least properly) but would be extremely useful to know.

f95toli said:
My advice would be to do something that is actually useful instead:wink:
You will have plenty of opportunities to study math once you've started university, self studying for a few weeks now is not going to make much of a difference. Hence, I would instead focus on learning something that would be very useful to know but won't be taught at university (at least at most universities in the UK). Buy yourself a a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino (or something similar) and learn to program it to be point where you can say make an LED blink (note that the price of a Pi is about the same as for a textbook)..

Knowing a little bit about practical electronics will be a big help if you e.g. decide to apply for summer internships while at university since it would make you much more "useful" in a lab. I tend to get something like 10 applicants whenever I advertise for summer students, and I always end up hiring the student who has shown at least some aptitude for doing something a bit more practical (the student I had this year actually used a Pi to make some control electronics for one of our experiments).
If you don't want (or can) do something practical I would instead suggest you try to learn a bit of Python programming (if you get a Pi this is something you will learn anyway). It is -again- something that they are unlikely to teach you at university (at least properly) but would be extremely useful to know.

I have been learning python for a few months now, so already have that covered ;)

I've been looking into getting a pi at some point, they do seem quite useful, and I've seen a few good applications of them that could be useful to me in hobbies!

Cheers :)

1. How can I maintain my math skills over the summer before starting university?

One way to maintain your math skills over the summer is to practice regularly. You can review old notes and work on practice problems. You can also try online resources or attend a summer math program to keep your skills sharp.

2. What are some important topics to review before starting university math courses?

It is important to review basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry concepts before starting university math courses. You should also familiarize yourself with calculus concepts, as it is a fundamental topic in many university math courses.

3. How can I prepare for the transition to university-level math?

To prepare for the transition to university-level math, you can start by setting aside dedicated study time and practicing regularly. You can also try to find study groups or peer tutors to help you with difficult concepts. It is also important to review your learning style and adjust your study habits accordingly.

4. What resources are available for additional help with math during university?

Many universities have math centers or tutoring services available for students. These resources can provide one-on-one or group help with math concepts. Additionally, you can reach out to your professors or teaching assistants for assistance during office hours.

5. How can I stay motivated and avoid falling behind in my math courses?

To stay motivated and avoid falling behind in your math courses, it is important to attend all lectures and complete assignments on time. You can also try setting small goals for yourself and rewarding yourself for meeting them. It can also be helpful to study with friends or form study groups to keep each other accountable.