Just got external funding what now?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funding
In summary, the author is an applicant for a PhD in theoretical physics and has just received external funding from their home country. They have sent an email to each of their target universities and are waiting to hear back. If there is no chance of renewal, they should let the university know.
nonequilibrium
I am waiting to hear back from a few american universities about my application for a phd in theoretical physics. I just got news that I have obtained external funding from my home (European) country, enough to cover the first year (tuition + stipend).

I hope this will positively influence my application. However, what is the best way to make sure the admission committees get this updated info?

I have just sent an email to each university, to the email address I could find that was most closely related to the office of graduate admissions for the physics programme. Should I just hope that that suffices, or should I also try other measures like calling?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
nonequilibrium said:
I am waiting to hear back from a few american universities about my application for a phd in theoretical physics. I just got news that I have obtained external funding from my home (European) country, enough to cover the first year (tuition + stipend).

I hope this will positively influence my application. However, what is the best way to make sure the admission committees get this updated info?

I have just sent an email to each university, to the email address I could find that was most closely related to the office of graduate admissions for the physics programme. Should I just hope that that suffices, or should I also try other measures like calling?

Thank you!

If you have had any contact with any of the professors you are interested in working with, you might send them an e-mail, as well, letting them know that you have been offered a fellowship by your home country.

Thanks for the reply!

Are you sure they would think it is relevant to them if it's only for the first year?

nonequilibrium said:
Thanks for the reply!

Are you sure they would think it is relevant to them if it's only for the first year?

If there is a chance of renewal, let them know. If there is no chance of renewal, let them know, as well. Be honest.

That wasn't my question but thanks for the effort (no irony). Just mailed at least one prof. I suppose I should just play the waiting game.

nonequilibrium said:
That wasn't my question but thanks for the effort (no irony). Just mailed at least one prof. I suppose I should just play the waiting game.

I thought that my answer to your question was implicit in the answer I gave, but in retrospect, I can see how it is not that obvious.

It could be relevant to them, but it depends upon how money is allocated in the Department/School, and it depends upon whether this one-yearof funding can become more years of funding, down the road. For instance, at many schools, graduate students are required to teach (for pay). If you joined the group of Prof. X, he could see that he would need to pay you for one less year than if you came in without funds. Another variable is that if you were successful in receiving funding in a competitive environment in your home country, this might mean that you would be competitive for university-wide graduate scholarships (internal money).

The best-case would be if you could receive multi-year funding from your home country.

So, yes it is relevant. Depending upon the circumstances, it could be more or less relevant. It definitely should be part of the information that the graduate committee has in front of them. If you come to them without cost this year, they may be willing to make an offer. [i.e. Maybe this is a tight year for the department, but they are more confident about next year...] You should try to get this information in front of the graduate admissions committee, and making multiple attempts at this helps to guarantee that they see it.

1. What are the first steps I should take after receiving external funding?

The first thing you should do is carefully review the terms and conditions of the funding agreement. This will outline any specific requirements or guidelines that you need to follow. You should also establish a budget and timeline for your project, and communicate this information to your team and any collaborators.

2. How do I ensure that I am using the funding in accordance with the donor's intentions?

It is important to maintain clear communication with the donor throughout the project. This includes providing regular updates and progress reports, as well as seeking approval for any major changes or deviations from the original project plan. It is also a good idea to keep detailed records and documentation of all expenses related to the project.

3. Can I use the funding for other projects or purposes?

No, external funding is typically designated for a specific project or purpose. It is important to adhere to the terms and conditions of the funding agreement and only use the funds for the intended purpose. Any changes or reallocation of funds should be discussed and approved by the donor.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when managing external funding?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not adhering to the terms and conditions of the funding agreement, not keeping accurate records and documentation, not communicating with the donor, and not seeking approval for major changes or deviations from the project plan. It is also important to carefully manage the budget and stick to the timeline outlined in the project plan.

5. How can I ensure that I am using the funding efficiently and effectively?

To ensure efficient and effective use of external funding, it is important to carefully plan and budget for the project, communicate with the donor, keep accurate records and documentation, and regularly assess and report on progress. It is also helpful to seek feedback from the donor and make any necessary adjustments to improve the project's outcomes.