When to let schools know about an external fellowship?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter member 666466
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the speaker has submitted all grad school applications for a physics PhD and has been awarded an external fellowship that will cover tuition, stipend, and benefits. They are undecided about accepting the offer and are wondering if they should inform the schools they have applied to about the fellowship and if it will affect their chances of admission. The speaker is also unsure if the fellowship is considered a fellowship or a scholarship.
member 666466
I have submitted all my grad school applications (physics PhD) and I learned recently that I won an external fellowship that will cover my tuition (up to ~$20K) + stipend (~$40K, so more than any of the other fellowships I've also applied) + retirement/insurance/other benefits for as long as I'm in school, with the only caveat being that I have to work there my summers and a year for every year of fellowship (but hey, that's a guaranteed employment!). Some of the schools I'm applying, the applications aren't even due yet (although my applications are all submitted and can't be edited). I was told that bringing in external funding generally helps in admission process, but also that schools don't actually start looking through apps until January at earliest. I also haven't decided if I will accept this offer since I'm still on the fence about tying up so many years after graduation (I can technically leave the workplace earlier but I have to reimburse accordingly).

1. Should I let the schools know that I have this offer even though I'm not sure I will accept? I think I have an okay shot at other fellowships, but obviously won't know the results until much later. If I don't get the other fellowships but accepted by the universities, am I required to accept this scholarship since they probably considered it in their funding?
2. Do external funding actually help my application, even for top 20 schools?
3. If the answer to (1) is yes, when should I let the schools know (i.e. now vs. Jan when they probably start looking at apps vs. Feb/March when they start sending out results)?

BTW I'm not even sure if this is considered a fellowship because the description calls it a "scholarship" but also calls the stipend as "annual salary".

Physics news on Phys.org
hsk said:
1. Should I let the schools know that I have this offer even though I'm not sure I will accept?

I would wait until you have accepted.

Vanadium 50 said:
I would wait until you have accepted.

If I can ask a follow-up question, what is the logic behind this advice? When I was applying to graduate school, my admissions offers from a couple of schools were amended once I secured external funding, and from what I understand, it would increase OP's chances of being admitted. Why should OP not let them know before accepting an admissions offer, if not before being offered one?

Likes Dr. Courtney
If he declines the fellowship, there is no external funding, and thus no need to tell anyone about it.

I disagree with @Vanadium 50 on this, since as @Dishsoap has pointed out, if the OP has been offered an external fellowship (or scholarship), that very fact alone would likely increase his/her chances of being accepted to the various PhD programs.

I think some schools actually even require applicants to inform them of any external fellowships they have been won as part of their application, if I'm not mistaken.

"I have been offered a fellowship that would help the department out financially but will not be taking it" is unlikely to move the needle, and certainly won't be as helpful as "I am bringing my own support". If you want to argue prestige, lots of things happen to lots of applicants after the deadline. Why is this a good reason to violate the deadline?

I would let the schools know. There is a slight chance its effect will be negative if @Vanadium 50 is on the committee, but most probably it will be neutral, or even positive. You should of course make it clear that you are still deciding on whether to accept the external fellowship.

Likes Dishsoap
So, if he is still deciding, what's the urgency?

1. When is the best time to inform schools about an external fellowship?

The best time to inform schools about an external fellowship is as soon as you receive confirmation of the fellowship. This will give the school enough time to review your application and make any necessary adjustments to your financial aid package.

2. Will informing schools about an external fellowship affect my chances of admission?

No, informing schools about an external fellowship will not affect your chances of admission. In fact, it may even strengthen your application as it shows that you have received recognition for your academic achievements.

3. Do I need to inform all the schools I have applied to about the external fellowship?

Yes, it is important to inform all the schools you have applied to about the external fellowship. This will ensure that all schools have the most updated information about your financial situation and can make informed decisions about your admission and financial aid package.

4. Can I negotiate my financial aid package after informing schools about an external fellowship?

Yes, you can negotiate your financial aid package after informing schools about an external fellowship. Some schools may even offer additional funding or scholarships to match the amount of the external fellowship.

5. Is there a deadline for informing schools about an external fellowship?

There is no specific deadline for informing schools about an external fellowship, but it is recommended to do so as soon as possible. This will give the schools enough time to review your application and make any necessary adjustments to your financial aid package before the start of the academic year.