Just submitted my PhD dissertation

In summary, the author developed a model that predicts persistence in a neuron and found that it lasts for about half an hour before a refractory period kicks in.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
-Defending soon,
-Have a part-time job in Intelligence that I go full-time after officially graduating.
-Starting to see the end of the tunnel.

Likes WWGD, collinsmark, mfb and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Go back! It's a trap! They're going to expect you to work from now on!

Likes WWGD and DennisN
Noisy Rhysling said:
Go back! It's a trap! They're going to expect you to work from now on!

To be honest, I have felt like cheap and exploited labour through university life as a grad student.

Pythagorean said:
To be honest, I have felt like cheap and exploited labour through university life as a grad student.
I knew how to Google, so my lead prof. exploited that.

Pythagorean said:
-Defending soon,
-Have a part-time job in Intelligence that I go full-time after officially graduating.
-Starting to see the end of the tunnel.
Congratulations on completing the dissertation and getting it submitted. Best wishes for a successful defense.

Good luck Pyth!

Congratulations! (Hope the hangover isn't too bad)

Good luck!

Greg Bernhardt said:
So what's your thesis?

I made an ion-conductance model of persistence dynamics in a known biological neuron and extended it to the biological network. Persistence dynamics are found across species and typically involve a "switch" (a particular kind of stimulus on the neuron) to switch it from typical threshold-type neuron dynamics to persistent spiking for some duration. It's involved in some cognitive functions (the persistence acts like a sort of information memory) and basically anywhere you have rhythmically contracting muscle (like birth, egg laying, breast-feeding let down, etc).

Likes jim mcnamara, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
What time frame is the persistence ? seconds ? Hours ?

jim hardy said:
What time frame is the persistence ? seconds ? Hours ?

The biological neuron goes on for about half hour in a persistent state, then enters a refractory period where it can still respond as a typical threshold-type neuron but can't enter persistence mode for nearly a day. My model doesn't include any of this behavior as I put focus on developing the dominant current channels and their 2nd messengers, as well as the calcium-dependent channels responsible for persistence. So my model goes into persistence indefinitely. The refractory period requires some more elaborate 2nd-messenger modeling, I decided to go to the network and focus on onset and spread in the network and leave refractory period to the next lucky grad student.

Likes jim hardy
Congratulations and good luck!

Congratulations! If you made it this far, you'll almost certainly survive the oral defense unless you have a total meltdown.

Ibix said:
(Hope the hangover isn't too bad)
When I emerged from my dissertation defense, some of my fellow graduate students were waiting to haul me off to a campus watering-hole. :biggrin:

Likes Pythagorean, Noisy Rhysling and Borg
Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

I think my defense will go fine. I'll probably get grilled a bit, but that's the nature of the beast.

Pythagorean said:
My model doesn't include any of this behavior as I put focus on developing the dominant current channels and their 2nd messengers, as well as the calcium-dependent channels responsible for persistence. So my model goes into persistence indefinitely. The refractory period requires some more elaborate 2nd-messenger modeling

Can you send me a pre-print so I can pick it apart and send my objections to the qualifying committee? :oldsmile:

I'll send you a copy of the rebuttal first, before I send it to the committee, promise :oldtongue:

What is a PhD dissertation?

A PhD dissertation is a written research document that is submitted by a doctoral candidate as a requirement for obtaining a PhD degree. It is typically the final step in a PhD program and showcases the candidate's original research and contribution to their field of study.

What is the process of submitting a PhD dissertation?

The process of submitting a PhD dissertation varies depending on the university or program. Generally, it involves completing the dissertation, obtaining approval from the dissertation committee, formatting the document according to specific guidelines, and submitting it electronically or in print to the university's graduate school or department.

How long does it take to complete a PhD dissertation?

The time it takes to complete a PhD dissertation can vary greatly depending on the field of study and the individual's research topic. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-7 years to complete a PhD dissertation, with some programs offering a time frame of up to 10 years.

What is the significance of a PhD dissertation?

A PhD dissertation is significant because it represents the culmination of years of research and hard work. It is a testament to the candidate's expertise and contribution to their field of study. Additionally, it is often required for obtaining academic positions and advancing in one's career.

What happens after a PhD dissertation is submitted?

After a PhD dissertation is submitted, it is typically evaluated by a committee of experts in the field. They will review the document and may ask the candidate to defend their research in a formal oral examination. If the dissertation is approved, the candidate will be awarded their PhD degree.