K of Rotation vs Rotational Momentum

In summary: If the angle is 25 degrees to the axis, the package will hit the space station at its center of mass, and have no effect. If the angle is 25 degrees to the plane, the package will hit the space station at its edge, and have no effect.
Lamebert

Homework Statement

A space station has the form of a hoop of radius R = 15 m, with mass M = 1000 kg. Initially its center of mass is not moving, but it is spinning with angular speed ωi = 4 rad/s. A small package of mass m = 22 kg is thrown at high velocity by a spring-loaded gun at an angle θ = 25 ◦ toward a nearby spacecraft as shown. The package has a speed v = 380 m/s after launch. What is the space station’s rotational speed ωf after the launch? You may ignore the weight of the package in calculating the moment of inertia of the space station. Answer in units of rad/s

Homework Equations

Krot = 1/2 Iω2
L = Iω
τ = rfsinθ
Ktrans = 1/2mv2
I = mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

[STRIKE]I tried to use kinetic energy for this, and I got an answer that seems reasonable, but this is the torque/rotational momentum chapter so I don't want to submit an answer until I think it's right.

I used the energy principle to solve this:

Krot,i = Krot,f + Ktrans

Since they provide us with an angle, I can't help but think torque is probably involved. There wasn't a way to find the force applied by the box on the wheel, so I decided torque wasn't really valid to use. Another point of contest is the fact that the station could gain some of the translational kinetic energy. I was thinking about it, and if the package was shot off at a 90 degree angle, all the energy would be transmitted to the translational kinetic energy of the station.

Now that I think about it, it may be smart to apply only the y component towards reduction of the[/STRIKE] ... blah blah blah I stopped typing and took a second look.

I used the y component of the kinetic energy of the block as reduction of the rotational kinetic energy of the station. The rest will be applied as translational kinetic energy. So pretty much:

Krot,i = Krot,f + Ktrans,block sinθ

Assuming I'm competent enough to use a calculator, some validation on whether or not this line of thought is proper would be nice. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
as shown?

You don't need the image to solve it.

Lamebert said:
No, but I will then need a clearer description. What is angle theta the angle between?
- trajectory and radius?
- trajectory and tangent?
- trajectory and axis?
- trajectory and plane?

Hi Lamebert! :smile:
Lamebert said:
[STRIKE]… this is the torque/rotational momentum chapter …[/STRIKE]

I used the y component of the kinetic energy of the block as reduction of the rotational kinetic energy of the station. The rest will be applied as translational kinetic energy. So pretty much:

Krot,i = Krot,f + Ktrans,block sinθ

Sorry, but this is completely wrong …

this is a collision (in reverse) …

(mechanical) energy is not usually conserved in a collision, but momentum, and angular momentum, are :wink:

(and anyway kinetic energy is a scalar, not a vector, so it doesn't have components)
Lamebert said:

i agree :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Lamebert! :smile:

Sorry, but this is completely wrong …

this is a collision (in reverse) …

(mechanical) energy is not usually conserved in a collision, but momentum, and angular momentum, are :wink:

(and anyway kinetic energy is a scalar, not a vector, so it doesn't have components)

I figured it out earlier today, but thanks. :-p

tiny-tim said:
Actually I missed some possibilities. If the package is fired in the same plane as the space station (which isn't clear), not only aren't we told whether the given angle is to the radius or to the tangent, we don't know whether it's in the the forward or backward direction in relation to the spin. Nor indeed whether the 380 m/s is relative to the gun or to an inertial frame in which the axis of the space station is initially at rest.
So how did you manage to deduce all those facts from the OP?:confused:

hi haruspex! :smile:
haruspex said:
… we don't know whether it's in the the forward or backward direction in relation to the spin …

but the method is the same either way!

if the OP has used the right method, we can say "correct, assuming the direction is forward :smile:"

and if the OP has used the wrong method (as obviously here … though he sorted it out himself later! :approve:), why does it matter? :wink:

since we're only helping, and not answering, we don't (usually) need to know the minutiae of the question o:)

tiny-tim said:
but the method is the same either way!
Not if it had been at 25 degrees to the plane or to the axis of the space station.

Related to K of Rotation vs Rotational Momentum

1. What is the difference between K of Rotation and Rotational Momentum?

K of Rotation, also known as kinetic energy of rotation, is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying half of the moment of inertia of the object by the square of its angular velocity. On the other hand, rotational momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to resist changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular velocity. In simpler terms, K of Rotation is a type of energy while rotational momentum is a type of momentum.

2. How are K of Rotation and Rotational Momentum related?

K of Rotation and rotational momentum are related because they both involve the concept of rotation. The two quantities are directly proportional to each other, meaning that an increase in one will result in a corresponding increase in the other. However, they are not exactly the same as they have different units and represent different physical quantities.

3. Can K of Rotation and Rotational Momentum be negative?

Yes, both K of Rotation and rotational momentum can be negative. This happens when the direction of rotation is opposite to the direction of angular velocity. In this case, the energy and momentum are considered to be negative as they are being dissipated or lost.

4. How is K of Rotation affected by mass and shape of an object?

The mass and shape of an object affect K of Rotation by influencing its moment of inertia, which is a factor in the calculation of K of Rotation. A larger moment of inertia will result in a higher K of Rotation. The shape of an object also plays a role as objects with a larger radius will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with a smaller radius.

5. Why is Rotational Momentum important in physics?

Rotational momentum is important in physics as it is a fundamental concept in describing the rotation of objects in motion. It helps us understand the stability and balance of objects and is crucial in the study of rotational dynamics, which is essential in many fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics. Rotational momentum is also conserved in isolated systems, making it a fundamental law of nature.