K-Shell, Low-Energetic Photons & Photoelectric effect

cemtu
TL;DR Summary
the probability of the photoelectric effect
At low photon energies, the probability of the photoelectric effect to occur increases, but the probability of the photoelectric effect to happen also increases when going towards most inner shells like K shell but inner shells require much more photon energies to be broken, so isn't there a contrast here? How is this EVEN possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
For every given energy level where an electron can be ionized, the cross section decreases with increasing energy. If you reach enough energy to ionize additional energy levels (that are bound tighter) then you get an upward jump in the total cross section.

mfb said:
For every given energy level where an electron can be ionized, the cross section decreases with increasing energy. If you reach enough energy to ionize additional energy levels (that are bound tighter) then you get an upward jump in the total cross section.
okay but it nevertheless happens in the area of lower ionization possibility.

cemtu said:
TL;DR Summary: the probability of the photoelectric effect

At low photon energies, the probability of the photoelectric effect to occur increases,
Yes. At low photon energies the photoelectric effect (PEE) is the dominant absorption process. The overall trend is for it to decrease with increasing energy. As shown on the graph here

cemtu said:
but the probability of the photoelectric effect to happen also increases when going towards most inner shells like K shell but inner shells require much more photon energies to be broken, so isn't there a contrast here? How is this EVEN possible?
There is a sort of 'resonance' effect. If the photon energy happens to match an inner shell's ionisation energy, there is an increased probaility of ionising an electron from that shell. As shown here. But as the energy continues to increase (passing the 'resonance') the PEE absortion continue to decrease.

I guess the 'resonance' affect is explained by quantum mechanics.

Likes cemtu
Steve4Physics said:
Yes. At low photon energies the photoelectric effect (PEE) is the dominant absorption process. The overall trend is for it to decrease with increasing energy. As shown on the graph hereThere is a sort of 'resonance' effect. If the photon energy happens to match an inner shell's ionisation energy, there is an increased probaility of ionising an electron from that shell. As shown here. But as the energy continues to increase (passing the 'resonance') the PEE absortion continue to decrease.

I guess the 'resonance' affect is explained by quantum mechanics.
okay, but the spike of resonance effect in the K-shell has still a lower probability for the photoelectric effect to occur than the L-Shell, and yet it is said that inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed! I do not get it.

cemtu said:
okay, but the spike of resonance effect in the K-shell has still a lower probability for the photoelectric effect to occur than the L-Shell, and yet it is said that inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed! I do not get it.
I wonder it this is simply an issue of (mis)interpretation of something you have been told or read?

For photons of energy E, the general trend is that the probability of absorption by the PEE decreases (roughly) with E³ (i.e. ∝1/E³).

But if E happens to match a shell’s ionisation energy, there is a big (e.g. factor of 10) increase in the probability of absorption due to 'resonance'.

The net result is a combination of both of these processes (∝1/E³ and resonance).

The statement “inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed” is a rather general/non-specific statement.

Let’s make-up some figures. Suppose an element’s K-shell electron has an ionisation energy of 50keV; and for an L-shell electron it is 30keV. I don’t think there are any claims that the net probability of absorption of a 50keV photon by K-ionisation should greater than the probability of absorption of a 30keV photon by L-ionisation.

Edit -typo's.

Last edited:
Likes cemtu
Steve4Physics said:
I wonder it this is simply an issue of (mis)interpretation of something you have been told or read?

For photons of energy E, the general trend is that the probability of absorption by the PEE decreases (roughly) with E³ (i.e. ∝1/E³).

But if E happens to match a shell’s ionisation energy, there is a big (e.g. factor of 10) increase in the probability of absorption due to 'resonance'.

The net result is a combination of both of these processes (∝1/E³ and resonance).

The statement “inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed” is a rather general/non-specific statement.

Let’s make-up some figures. Suppose an element’s K-shell electron has an ionisation energy of 50keV; and for an L-shell electron it is 30keV. I don’t think there are any claims that the net probability of absorption of a 50keV photon by K-ionisation should greater than the probability of absorption of a 30keV photon by L-ionisation.

Edit -typo's.
1699711457327.png

HELP! Do you see the parodox here? K inner shell requires more photon energy to break free, so should require higher energetic photons to break free, but photoelectric effect happens when photon energy is low amd K orbital here has the greatest possibility to break free by photoelectric effect as it is stated as "usually"! @mfb @Steve4Physics
1699712238973.png

It seems like all things above contradict the graph below, which shows that the mass attenuation coefficient for inner shells, from outer to inner shells, decreases by increase in photon energy, which means that probability of seeing a photoelectric effect in inner shells decrease by increase in energy:
1699714188139.png

Last edited:
cemtu said:
K inner shell requires more photon energy to break free, so should require higher energetic photons to break free
That's true. I'd say it slightly differently: The minimum photon energy needed to ionise an inner shell electron is greater than the minimum photon energy needed to ionise an 'more outer' shell electron (for a given element).

cemtu said:
but photoelectric effect happens when photon energy is low
Or to be a little more precise:
The PEE is most likely to occur (in a particular element) when the incident photon energy is sufficiently large and of comparable size to the binding energies of the element's electrons. This corresponds to the low energy end of the X- ray spectrum.

cemtu said:
amd K orbital here has the greatest possibility to break free by photoelectric effect
I don't believe that is correct. Can you give a link?

cemtu said:
as it is stated as "usually"! @mfb @Steve4Physics
I don't believe I ever said that. And I can't see any reference to the word "usually" anywhere!

cemtu said:
It seems like all things above contradict the graph below, which shows that the mass attenuation coefficient for inner shells, from outer to inner shells, decreases by increase in photon energy, which means that probability of seeing a photoelectric effect in inner shells decrease by increase in energy:
View attachment 335180
In your graph (above attachmnent) for simplicity let's take the K-edge as 100keV and the L-edge as 10keV.

If you fire 10keV photons at the material:
Probability of L-electron ionisation by PEE = x
Probability of K-electron ionisation by PEE = 0

If you fire 100keV photons at the material:
Probability of L-electron ionisation by PEE = 0 (or very low)
Probability of K-electron ionisation by PEE = y

x is about 10 times bigger than y which is not a problem as far as I know.

In Post #5 you wrote:
"and yet it is said that inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed!"
This is misleading/confusing. Where is it 'said'?

For example, if 10keV photons are used, you will never see K (innermost) electrons emitted. So the innermost shell is not the 'most probable' in those circumstances.

Steve4Physics said:
I don't believe that is correct. Can you give a link?
Not you, look at my sources, the pictures, (I tagged you to summon you here thats all):

1699730703410.png

1699730746746.png

Steve4Physics said:
"and yet it is said that inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed!"
This is misleading/confusing. Where is it 'said'?

Source for first picture: https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1121/ML11210B520.pdf
(slide 29)

Source for the second picture: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/photoelectric-effect

People have argued this it seems. And I am seeing it just now: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-is-it-usually-the-k-shell-electron-that-is-ejected.706719/
  • In this argument in the above link, they seem to agree on basically this:
"As the orbital number of an atom increases, its radius also increases. This is because the outer electrons are further away from the nucleus and are therefore less attracted to it. The effective nuclear charge experienced by the outer electrons is also less, as it is shielded by the inner electrons. This allows the outer electrons to occupy larger orbitals.
"
So electron density matters a lot, inner shells have larger electron density than outer shells and this makes them easier to get shot statistically -classically speaking, analogy-

Last edited:
cemtu said:
K inner shell requires more photon energy to break free, so should require higher energetic photons to break free,
Correct
but photoelectric effect happens when photon energy is low
It's not limited to low energies.
amd K orbital here has the greatest possibility to break free by photoelectric effect as it is stated as "usually"!
It has the greatest probability at a given photon energy if the photon has enough energy for it.

When comparing different sources, keep in mind that the meaning of "low energy" can vary a lot. For radio astronomy, low energy might be 10-9 eV, for particle physicists a 1010 eV photon can be "low energy". It's so low that ATLAS and CMS generally don't trigger on them.

Likes cemtu and Steve4Physics
cemtu said:
Not you, look at my sources, the pictures, (I tagged you to summon you here thats all):
Sorry - misinterpreted what you said.

Not sure I can add much. But will note this...

... inner shells are the most probable for the photoelectric effect to be observed"

This is an incomplete (and potentially misleading) statement. It contains no context.

For example, if the incident photon energy is less than the innermost (K) binding-energy, the probability of a K-electron being knocked out is zero, not ‘most probable’.

On the other hand if the incident photon energy is (a little) bigger than the innermost K-energy, the probability of a K-electron being knocked becomes very significant and most of the emitted electrons would indeed be from the K-shell (with few from other shells). Maybe that's the intended message.

(Also, it's worth noting that in practice we are not dealing with monochromatic X-rays and the spectral composition will affect what happens.)

Likes cemtu

What is the K-shell in relation to low-energetic photons and the photoelectric effect?

The K-shell is the innermost electron shell in an atom. When low-energetic photons interact with atoms, they can cause electrons in the K-shell to be ejected through the photoelectric effect.

How does the photoelectric effect relate to the K-shell and low-energetic photons?

The photoelectric effect is the process by which electrons are ejected from atoms when photons of sufficient energy interact with them. Low-energetic photons can still cause the photoelectric effect to occur, particularly in the K-shell where electrons are tightly bound.

Why are low-energetic photons able to cause the photoelectric effect in the K-shell?

Low-energetic photons can cause the photoelectric effect in the K-shell because the electrons in this shell are tightly bound to the nucleus, requiring less energy to eject them compared to electrons in higher energy shells.

What happens to an atom when electrons are ejected from the K-shell due to low-energetic photons?

When electrons are ejected from the K-shell due to low-energetic photons, the atom becomes ionized as it loses an electron. This can lead to changes in the atom's chemical properties and interactions with other atoms.

How does the photoelectric effect in the K-shell with low-energetic photons impact imaging techniques like X-ray imaging?

The photoelectric effect in the K-shell with low-energetic photons is utilized in X-ray imaging techniques to create contrast between different tissues based on their electron density. By measuring the intensity of photons that pass through the body after interacting with different tissues, detailed images can be produced for medical diagnosis and research purposes.