Kakuro is based on partitions of integers

In summary, Sudoku is a game based on magic squares, while Kakuro is based on partitions of integers. Kakuro is generally considered to be tougher than Sudoku, and it can be helpful to memorize some of the possible combinations of numbers in order to solve it. While the speaker enjoys playing Sudoku, they find that it takes a lot of time to complete a puzzle. They are interested in playing Kakuro online, but have not yet done so.
fourier jr
Does anyone do these? Sudoku is based on magic squares, Kakuro is based on partitions of integers. I haven't really tried solving any yet but my first impression was that Kakuro is generally tougher than Sudoku (for me anyway).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakuro

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I agree that Kakuro is harder. Kakuro was introduced to me by someone here (mattmns I believe). It helps to memorize some of the possible combinations of numbers. For example if you have to make a 3 with two cells there is only one possibility. But not so immediately obvious is that to make 30 with 4 cells there is also only one possibility - 6, 7, 8, 9. etc.

I do soduku, I like it but it needs time to finish the whole square and fill it with the numbers. the other kakuru.. ua ua, is it Possible to play this game on the net?

angel 42 said:
I do soduku, I like it but it needs time to finish the whole square and fill it with the numbers. the other kakuru.. ua ua, is it Possible to play this game on the net?

I don't play it but I'm sure a few sites would come up if you searched for online kakuro on google or something.

1. What is Kakuro?

Kakuro is a number puzzle game that involves filling in a grid with numbers that add up to specific sums.

2. How is Kakuro played?

To play Kakuro, you must fill in a grid with numbers that add up to specific sums. The numbers must also not repeat within the same row or column.

3. What are partitions of integers?

Partitions of integers refer to the ways in which a number can be expressed as a sum of smaller numbers. For example, the number 4 can be expressed as 1+3, 2+2, 1+1+2, and so on.

4. How is Kakuro based on partitions of integers?

In Kakuro, the sum clues provided in the grid correspond to the possible partitions of the target number. This means that the numbers in each row or column must be arranged in a way that they add up to the sum clue without repeating within the same row or column.

5. How can Kakuro help improve problem-solving skills?

Kakuro requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills to complete the grid. By playing Kakuro regularly, one can improve their ability to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts and find solutions.