Maximizing Probability of Finding Explosive Device in Bounded Domain

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the problem at hand is to locate and disable an explosive device in a bounded domain before a certain time T. The domain is divided into subdomains, and each subdomain is searched for a specific length of time. The probability of finding the device varies in each subdomain, and the aim is to optimize the search sequence to maximize the probability of finding the device by time T. Possible approaches include using integer programming, heuristic algorithms, and machine learning techniques. It is recommended to consult with experts in optimization and decision-making for the best solution.
Sasha123
I am trying to solve the following problem. Let us take a bounded domain $S$ in which an explosive device is located. A team is deployed to locate and disable the device before a certain time T (when the device explodes). There are several criteria to be satisfied:

1. The domain $S$ is partitioned into $i \in 1,...,n$ subdomains.
2. Each subdomain is searched one after another, with each search lasting for the same length of time $T/t$ for some positive integer t. These subdomain can be searched and re-searched in any order.
3. Conditioning on the device being in subdomain $i$, the probability of finding the device is $\phi_{i}\in [0, 1]$. These probabilities vary from one subdomain to another.
4. Apriori, the assigned probability of device being located in subdomain $i$ is $\pi_{i}$ (so that $\sum_{i}^{n} \pi_{i} = 1$ ).

The aim is to optimise the sequence of subdomain searches so that the probability of finding the device by time $T$ is maximised.

Now, I think this is akin to the so-called "Knapsack problem", and I have a general outline as to how one could set it up, but I am really not sure if I am on the right track or not.

Any help / advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for presenting your problem and seeking input from the scientific community. I can understand the urgency and importance of finding and disabling an explosive device before it detonates. I will try my best to provide some guidance and suggestions for your problem.

Firstly, let me clarify that the problem you have described is not exactly the same as the Knapsack problem. In the Knapsack problem, the aim is to maximize the value of items that can be put into a knapsack with a limited capacity. In your problem, the aim is to maximize the probability of finding the device by a certain time. However, there are some similarities in the approach that can be taken to solve both problems.

One possible way to approach your problem is by using a mathematical model called integer programming. In this model, we can define decision variables that represent whether a particular subdomain is searched or not. We can also define constraints that ensure that the total search time does not exceed the available time and that each subdomain is searched only once. The objective function can be defined as the sum of the probabilities of finding the device in each searched subdomain, weighted by the assigned probabilities.

However, this approach may not be feasible if the number of subdomains is very large. In that case, we can use a heuristic approach such as greedy algorithms or simulated annealing to find a near-optimal solution.

Another approach could be to use machine learning techniques to learn the optimal sequence of subdomain searches based on historical data or simulations. This approach may require a significant amount of data and computational resources, but it could potentially provide a more accurate and efficient solution.

Overall, I would recommend exploring different approaches and consulting with experts in the field of optimization and decision-making to find the most suitable solution for your problem. I wish you all the best in your quest to disable the explosive device before it causes harm. I hope my suggestions have been helpful, and I am available to discuss this further if needed.

1. How can we increase the probability of finding an explosive device in a bounded domain?

There are several strategies that can be used to maximize the probability of finding an explosive device in a bounded domain. These include using advanced detection technologies, implementing thorough search protocols, and utilizing trained detection dogs. Additionally, increasing the number of search personnel and conducting multiple sweeps of the area can also improve the chances of finding an explosive device.

2. What are some advanced detection technologies that can be used to find explosive devices?

Some examples of advanced detection technologies include X-ray scanners, chemical sensors, and thermal imaging cameras. These technologies can detect the presence of explosives by identifying unique characteristics such as chemical composition, density, and heat signature.

3. How can thorough search protocols help in finding explosive devices?

Thorough search protocols involve systematically searching the entire bounded domain, including all potential hiding spots and concealed areas. This method ensures that no area is left unchecked and increases the chances of finding an explosive device.

4. How effective are trained detection dogs in finding explosive devices?

Trained detection dogs are highly effective in detecting the presence of explosives due to their keen sense of smell. These dogs are trained to identify specific scents associated with explosives and can cover a large area in a short amount of time. However, they should be used in combination with other detection methods for maximum effectiveness.

5. Is it necessary to conduct multiple sweeps of the bounded domain to maximize the chances of finding an explosive device?

Yes, conducting multiple sweeps of the bounded domain can significantly increase the probability of finding an explosive device. This is because the first sweep may not cover all areas thoroughly, and conducting subsequent sweeps can help identify any missed spots. Additionally, the presence of multiple search teams can also increase the chances of finding an explosive device.