Kalman Filter States: What Do They Represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "states" in a UKF system and how they can be reduced. The definition of states varies depending on the mathematical model used in the filter, and they represent the variables that describe the current state of a system. The speaker also mentions that there is no universal procedure for determining states and it depends on the chosen variables and their mathematical equations.
Guillem
It will sound a little bit stupid, but Ill ask anyways:

I have two series systems, the second is an UKF (Uscented Kalman Filter). I was told to reduce the first system in order to that the UKF estimate less states. My question is: What exactly do the states represent? I mean, if I have a non-discrete signal as the first system's output (for example, a voltage between -5 and 5), what would be the states?

These states sound me like discrete values that the signal can achieve.

Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The definition of "states" depends on the mathematical model that is being used in the filter. Part of specifying a Kalman filter is to define a mathematical model of how the current "state variables" of a system change with time from their present values to their "next" values.

If you look at a physical situation (e.g a car race) there is no universal procedure that tells you what the "states" of that situation are. If you define certain variables to describe its "states" then you can determine whether your choices are useful by finding out whether there are mathematical equations that correctly describe how one vector of values of your chosen state variables changes to a another vector of values as time passes.

So, when you say that you "have" a Kalman filter, this means that you can, in principle, examine what mathematical model the filter implements. The variables used in the deterministic part of the model are the "state" variables.

Likes Guillem

What is a Kalman filter and how does it work?

A Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm used to estimate the state of a system based on a series of measurements. It works by combining the predictions from a dynamic model of the system with the actual measurements, taking into account the uncertainty in both the model and the measurements.

What are the states in a Kalman filter and what do they represent?

The states in a Kalman filter represent the variables that describe the current state of the system being modeled. These variables can be physical quantities, such as position and velocity, or abstract concepts, such as the internal state of a machine or the probability of an event occurring.

How are the states determined in a Kalman filter?

The states in a Kalman filter are determined through a process called state estimation, which uses a combination of the current measurements and the predictions from the dynamic model to estimate the most likely values for the states. This process is repeated for each time step in the system.

What is the role of the state transition matrix in a Kalman filter?

The state transition matrix in a Kalman filter represents the relationship between the current states and the predicted states in the next time step. It is used to update the state estimates and take into account any changes in the system between time steps.

How do the states affect the performance of a Kalman filter?

The states play a crucial role in the performance of a Kalman filter, as they determine the accuracy of the state estimates. If the states are well-defined and accurately represent the system, the filter will be able to make more accurate predictions. However, if the states are poorly chosen or do not accurately reflect the system, the filter may produce unreliable results.