Keeping Time on Mars: A New Calendar System?

• B
  • Thread starter lifeonmercury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Time
In summary, the conversation discusses how humans will keep time and organize their calendar on Mars, with the possibility of developing a separate Mars date and time system. It is suggested that a simple conversion tool may be needed to coordinate with Earth's time system, and there may also be the presence of time zones on Mars. The conversation also touches on the idea of using GMT and date as the norm for underground colonies, with the possibility of different disciplines developing their own time system. The conversation also mentions the use of UTC on the ISS and the likelihood of the Moon staying on the Earth calendar. Overall, it is suggested that a separate Mars calendar may not be necessary in the early stages of colonization.
lifeonmercury
Once humans begin arriving on Mars in the next decade or two, how will they keep time and organize their calendar? Will a special Mars date and time system need to be developed or will the colonists (at least initially) stay on pace with the Earth-based system of 24-hour days and 12-month years?
If the colonists were indeed to use their own system featuring a 669-sol Martian year, I assume some sort of simple conversion tool would be necessary (like Fahrenheit to Celcius) to coordinate with Earth. To complicate things even more, Mars would probably also have its own 24 time zones.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
lifeonmercury said:
Once humans begin arriving on Mars in the next decade or two ...
I admire your extreme optimism.

Likes CalcNerd and PeroK
I figured someone would! Any thoughts about the Martian calendar?

lifeonmercury said:
No. I'm an old, practical engineer and will be long dead before we have a colony on Mars. I'm going to leave it to them to figure out.

lifeonmercury said:
Once humans begin arriving on Mars in the next decade or two, how will they keep time and organize their calendar? Will a special Mars date and time system need to be developed or will the colonists (at least initially) stay on pace with the Earth-based system of 24-hour days and 12-month years?
If the colonists were indeed to use their own system featuring a 669-sol Martian year, I assume some sort of simple conversion tool would be necessary (like Fahrenheit to Celcius) to coordinate with Earth. To complicate things even more, Mars would probably also have its own 24 time zones.

Since at least early colonies will likely be underground, there will not much of a need for official time to keep pace with the Sun or the seasons, keeping step with Earth time(GMT and date would likely be the norm. There will be those disciplines that would need to keep track of these things, but they would likely develop their own system much like astronomers today use the Julian year. I see no need for adopting time zones at all.

The Moon would almost certainly stay on the Earth calendar, with the entire Moon being in the US Eastern time zone.
It's just a lot more complicated with Mars.

lifeonmercury said:
with the entire Moon being in the US Eastern time zone.

Including Daylight Savings Time?

lifeonmercury said:
Here is a thought on Martian time zones, JPL when dealing with MSL operations has a system worked out to equate Earth time and Martian time. This is only relevant when comparing a JPL's worker shift with what curiosity is currently doing but it gives an interesting perspective on the difference between a "Sol" and a "day" http://msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov/scienceoperations/
For further reading I think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timekeeping_on_Mars may be useful as a starting point.

When the first group of people land on Mars, I think they can just keep a tool (such as a atomic clock maybe?) displaying the time on the earth. Thought it may be a little bit uncomfortable and confusing...

The settlements will be underground in some way, but there will be many surface operations - I'm quite sure people will use the 24h 37min cycle of sols.

A separate Mars calendar won't be necessary for a long time. Just count Sols, as they do with current Mars missions. A Mars-based calendar might arise over time if a colony starts getting more and more independent.
lifeonmercury said:
The Moon would almost certainly stay on the Earth calendar, with the entire Moon being in the US Eastern time zone.
Not even the ISS, where the US contributed the most, uses any US time zone. They use UTC.

What is the purpose of creating a new calendar system for Mars?

The purpose of creating a new calendar system for Mars is to better align the Martian calendar with the planet's orbit and rotation. This will allow for more accurate tracking of time and seasons on Mars, making it easier for scientists and future colonists to plan and schedule activities.

How will this new calendar system be different from the one used on Earth?

The new calendar system for Mars will have longer days and years compared to the one used on Earth. A Martian day, or "sol", is approximately 39 minutes and 35 seconds longer than an Earth day, and a Martian year is approximately 687 Earth days long.

How will the Martian calendar be divided into months and years?

The Martian calendar will be divided into 24 months, each with a varying number of days. The first 12 months will have 28 or 29 days, similar to the months in the Gregorian calendar. The remaining 12 months will have 27 or 28 days, based on the seasonal changes on Mars.

Will this new calendar system affect the current missions and rovers on Mars?

No, this new calendar system will not affect the current missions and rovers on Mars. They will continue to use the Earth-based time system for communication and tracking purposes. However, future missions and colonists will be able to adapt to the new calendar system.

How will this new calendar system benefit future human colonization of Mars?

The new calendar system will benefit future human colonization of Mars by providing a more accurate and practical way of tracking time. It will also help with planning and scheduling activities, such as agriculture and exploration, based on the Martian seasons and climate.