Ketones Saturation: Acetone CH3COCH3

In summary: I can tell you that the last answer is 1 mole of hydrogen will react with 1 mole of acetone to form a saturated compound.
Nader AbdlGhani
Are ketones saturated ? for example , Acetone ( CH3COCH3 ) my question is aroused by a question in the General Secondary Education Certificate Chemistry exam here in Egypt , as the question there was : How many moles of hydrogen molecules are required to react with one mole of : 1) Acetone. 2) Biphenyl. to obtain a saturated compound , the problem is with the Acetone not the Biphenyl of course .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would not apply term "saturated" to other bonds than carbon-carbon ones (so I would consider acetone to be saturated). That doesn't stop it from reacting with hydrogen and producing a saturated alkane.

Borek said:
I would not apply term "saturated" to other bonds than carbon-carbon ones (so I would consider acetone to be saturated). That doesn't stop it from reacting with hydrogen and producing a saturated alkane.
That's what has come in my mind during the exam , and I wrote 0 hydrogen moles , but when I saw the ministry of education's official model answer they wrote 1 mole for acetone and 6 moles for diphenyl , and won't it (acetone) form secondary alcohol when it reacts with hydrogen ?

I think the question is a bit confusing. At the same time the answer given is hardly incorrect - secondary alcohol is a saturated compound, so 1 mole is enough.

Borek said:
I think the question is a bit confusing. At the same time the answer given is hardly incorrect - secondary alcohol is a saturated compound, so 1 mole is enough.
So the last answer is ? and can I know what is your educational background ?

When going from a chemical formula (e.g. CH3COCH3) to a structural formula, it is often useful to calculate the degree of unsaturation, which tells you how many pi bonds/rings are present in the compound. Acetone has a degree of unsaturation of 1, indicating that there is one double bond or ring in the molecule.

Ygggdrasil said:
When going from a chemical formula (e.g. CH3COCH3) to a structural formula, it is often useful to calculate the degree of unsaturation, which tells you how many pi bonds/rings are present in the compound. Acetone has a degree of unsaturation of 1, indicating that there is one double bond or ring in the molecule.
Well , thanks but that's so confusing ...

1. What are ketones and how do they relate to acetone?

Ketones are organic compounds that contain a carbonyl group (a carbon double bonded to an oxygen) within their molecular structure. Acetone, or CH3COCH3, is a common type of ketone. It is the simplest and most commonly used ketone and is often used as a solvent or in nail polish remover.

2. How does ketone saturation occur?

Ketone saturation occurs when the body has an excess of ketones in the bloodstream. This can happen when the body is burning fat for energy instead of glucose, which is the preferred source of energy. It can also occur in individuals with certain metabolic disorders or in people who follow a ketogenic diet.

3. What is the significance of measuring ketone saturation?

Measuring ketone saturation can provide valuable information about an individual's metabolic state. It can indicate if the body is in a state of ketosis, which may be desired for weight loss or certain medical conditions. It can also help monitor the effectiveness of a ketogenic diet or identify potential health issues.

4. What is the normal range for ketone saturation?

The normal range for ketone saturation can vary depending on the type of measurement and the individual's health status. Generally, a blood ketone level between 0.5-3.0 mmol/L is considered to be in a state of nutritional ketosis, while levels above 3.0 mmol/L may indicate ketoacidosis, a potentially dangerous condition.

5. How can ketone saturation be controlled or managed?

Ketone saturation can be controlled or managed through diet, exercise, and monitoring. Consuming a diet that is low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats can help promote ketosis and prevent excessive ketone production. Regular physical activity can also help utilize ketones for energy. It is important to monitor ketone levels and consult a healthcare professional if levels become too high.