Why Do My Keyboard Inputs Trigger Hotkeys Instead of Typing Letters?

In summary, the user is experiencing issues with keyboard input not matching the keys on the keyboard and instead being redirected to hotkeys. Some keys do not work and this occurs on startup and also in safe mode. The default language is Chinese, but input is in English. Various troubleshooting steps have been taken, including checking accessibility options, keyboard language settings, and trying a different keyboard. The issue persists and the user is considering making changes to the registry, but is advised to proceed with caution.
eiyaz
Keyboard input does not match keys - Please help!

I currently am having a massive issue with my computer. The input keys do not match the keys on the keyboard and all input goes to hotkeys. I have to use on screen keyboard to type.

The keys themselves worked, but are automatically redirected to hotkeys. For example in Microsoft Word if I hit "T" the tools bar drops down. If I hit Shift + T it automatically paste the time.

The following keys completely do not work, 1, 2, backspace, \, UPARROW, and ]. This issue occurs on startup therefore I can not log on to my main account, only Guest. This issue also occurs in safe mode.

I have a language bar installed and default language is Chinese, however input is in English.

Specs:

HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook PC
Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium
1 GB Ram

Computer science news on Phys.org

Are any of the accessibility options turned on, e.g. Sticky Keys?

jhae2.718 said:
Are any of the accessibility options turned on, e.g. Sticky Keys?

Tried both did not work

Make sure that NumLock or the Function button aren't turned on.

I'd check your keyboard is set to the language it is in.

Go to Regional Settings in Control Panel and it will show which it is.

Even a US keyboard has a different layout to a UK one.

JaredJames said:
I'd check your keyboard is set to the language it is in.

Go to Regional Settings in Control Panel and it will show which it is.

Even a US keyboard has a different layout to a UK one.

I disabled all but US keyboard, it still doesn't work. Also by function key you mean the Fn key? That key is hold to activate only.

If you're comfortable with working with the registry, you could try the following link:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77881-windows-hotkeys.html"

Just remember that working with the registry requires extreme caution. You can really mess up your computer if you aren't careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

eiyaz said:
The keys themselves worked, but are automatically redirected to hotkeys. For example in Microsoft Word if I hit "T" the tools bar drops down. If I hit Shift + T it automatically paste the time.

Check if the Alt key is not stuck. It may not look stuck, but can be if the keyboard is dirty.

Thx, I'll give it a try when I get home

Have you tried plugging in another keyboard? Sometimes it *is* the keyboard that's gone wonky (especially if it's old, grimy, been spilled on, etc.)

1. Why is my keyboard input not matching the keys I am pressing?

There could be a variety of reasons for this issue. It could be a hardware problem, such as a stuck or damaged key, or a software issue, such as a driver problem. It could also be due to your keyboard settings, such as a different language or layout being selected.

2. How can I fix this issue?

The first step would be to check your keyboard settings and make sure the correct language and layout are selected. If that doesn't solve the problem, try restarting your computer or updating your keyboard drivers. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware problem and you may need to replace your keyboard.

3. Can a virus or malware cause this issue?

In some cases, a virus or malware can affect your keyboard settings or interfere with your keyboard's functionality. It is always a good idea to run a virus scan on your computer to rule out this possibility.

4. Why is my keyboard input not matching the keys only in a specific program?

This could be due to a compatibility issue between the program and your keyboard settings. Make sure your keyboard settings are consistent across all programs and try updating the program to the latest version.

5. Is there a way to troubleshoot this issue on my own?

Yes, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try on your own, such as checking keyboard settings, updating drivers, and running a virus scan. You can also try using a different keyboard to see if the issue persists. If none of these steps work, it may be best to seek help from a professional.