Kinda tricky inclined plane problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving mass 1 (1 kg) resting on an inclined plane (30 degrees) with a string attached to it and a suspended mass 2 (2 kg). The question is how far the inclined plane must be rotated for mass 1 to start moving down the incline. The conversation also touches on the role of friction in the problem and the use of trigonometric identities to solve the equation 2sinΘ-cosΘ=1.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

Mass 1 of 1 kg is resting on an inclined plane of 30 degrees. A string is attaached to the mass and ran through a pulley at the top of the plane and attached to a suspended mass 2 of 2 kg. How far must the inclined plane be rotated until mass 1 starts to move down the incline.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am trying to use all of my knowledge of inclined planes to no avail. Firstly the force of friction must be the forced imposed upon mass1 by the gravitational force of mass 2 minus the gravitational force in the direction of the incline (m1*g*sintheta+Ffriction*g2*g)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
the force of friction
There is no mention of friction. Even if you allow friction I do not see how this will lead to a solution.
Is there anything about the statement of the problem that strikes you as paradoxical? (I would suggest making sure you have quoted it exactly.)
The paradox can be resolved, but it involves a little lateral thinking.

Perhaps consider what happens if the slope was increased to say 90 degees/vertical.

CWatters said:
Perhaps consider what happens if the slope was increased to say 90 degees/vertical.
Which way?

Likes CWatters
Okay if the angle was I increased to 90 degrees then the mass of the second block would pull the first up, so the angle has to be between 30 and 90 degrees as the sin of theta increases in regard to mass 1.

Jrlinton said:
the angle has to be between 30 and 90 degrees
Why does there have to a solution anywhere in that range? What would happen at 30 degrees, with no friction?

Jrlinton said:
Okay if the angle was I increased to 90 degrees then the mass of the second block would pull the first up, so the angle has to be between 30 and 90 degrees as the sin of theta increases in regard to mass 1.

The sin of any angle is less than one - so how does that increase the effect of mass 1 above that of the vertical case?

Either this question has no solution, I am remembering wrong, or I am approaching it wrong. If there was a given friction coefficient, then the sum of the gravitational force (mgsinΘ) and the frictional force (umgcosΘ) of mass1 would be equal to the force of Mass 2 (mg).
Simplifying I get
sinΘ+ucosΘ=2
Assuming the coefficient of friction is reasonable, this is impossible.

Jrlinton said:
Either this question has no solution, I am remembering wrong, or I am approaching it wrong. If there was a given friction coefficient, then the sum of the gravitational force (mgsinΘ) and the frictional force (umgcosΘ) of mass1 would be equal to the force of Mass 2 (mg).
Simplifying I get
sinΘ+ucosΘ=2
Assuming the coefficient of friction is reasonable, this is impossible.
Since we are told nothing of friction, assume it is irrelevant. Consider my hint (that is what it was) in post #4.

Likes CWatters
Okay so let's suppose that mass1 iss 2kg and mass2 is 1 kg and the coefficient of static friction is 0.5.
Would you not subtract the force of the friction (0.5*2*9.81*sinΘ) from the gravitational force on Mass1 (2*9.81*cosΘ) and set that equal to the weight of mass 2 (9.81*1)?
(19.62cosΘ)-(9.81sinΘ)=9.81?

Jrlinton said:
lets suppose that mass1 iss 2kg and mass2 is 1 kg
This is the reverse of the OP statement, right? Are you now supposing that was wrong?
As I have hinted, there is a solution to the question as originally given, but it's a bit of a trick.
Jrlinton said:
and the coefficient of static friction is 0.5
I think it will be helpful to keep it general. Let's say μ.
Jrlinton said:
Would you not subtract the force of the friction (0.5*2*9.81*sinΘ) from the gravitational force on Mass1 (2*9.81*cosΘ) and set that equal to the weight of mass 2 (9.81*1)?
(19.62cosΘ)-(9.81sinΘ)=9.81?
Friction acts to oppose relative motion of surfaces in contact. If you assume that m1 would otherwise slide down, then yes, giving (19.62cosΘ)-(9.81*2μsinΘ) <=9.81, or more simply, 2cosΘ - 2μsinΘ <= 1. If we further assume that friction barely holds it, then = 1.
Note that if we assume no friction there is a sensible solution to that equation.

What I know is that mass 1 of 2kg is sitting on an inclined plane. There is a string attached to the mass, ran through a pulley and attached to a suspended mass of 1 kg. The coefficient of static friction is 0.5. At what angle will mass 1 begin to move down the slope?
I did as I previously described and set 2cosΘ-sinΘ=1. Firstly I must be forgetting some trig identity as I am unaware as to have to solve for Θ, second when plugging the given answer choices, the equation does not prove to be true.

Jrlinton said:
What I know is that mass 1 of 2kg is sitting on an inclined plane. There is a string attached to the mass, ran through a pulley and attached to a suspended mass of 1 kg. The coefficient of static friction is 0.5.
Ok, this is at last making sense. You originally had the two masses swapped, and omitted to mention friction was given.

Jrlinton said:
2cosΘ-sinΘ=1
There is a trick you can use here. Are you familiar with equations like sin α cos β - cos α sin β = ...? Can you see how to coerce the left hand side of your equation into that form?

This is wrong. Somehow I messed up bad.
It should be 2sinΘ-cosΘ=1

Jrlinton said:
This is wrong. Somehow I messed up bad.
OK, but my reply above still applies.

Honestly I'm unaware as to how that identity can be used, could be the lack of sleep or something. Anyway I rearranged the equation to 2tan(theta)=1+1/cos(theta) and got 53.1 degrees.

Jrlinton said:
I'm unaware as to how that identity can be used
What is the obvious reason it does not immediately fit into that form?

Limiting theta to the first quadrant

Jrlinton said:
Limiting theta to the first quadrant
No. You have an equation 2sinΘ-cosΘ=1. What simple fact prevents you from writing the left hand side in the form sin α cos β - cos α sin β?

the multiplier of 2 in regards to sinΘ

Jrlinton said:
the multiplier of 2 in regards to sinΘ
Right, it is out range for cos β. More exactly, the sum of squares of the coefficients is 22+12=5, whereas cos2β+sin2β = 1. So what can you do to both sides of your equation to get around that?

Jrlinton said:

You could rewrite this version as
$$\sin\theta = \frac{1+\cos\theta}{2}.$$
There's an obvious trig identity that comes into play here.

That's effectively what I did earlier and further altered the equation to tan(theta)=0.5(cos(theta)+1)

Jrlinton said:
That's effectively what I did earlier and further altered the equation to tan(theta)=0.5(cos(theta)+1)
I can see where Vela is trying to lead you, and it does work for this question. But there is a more generally useful trick. Please try to respond to post #21.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat, sloped surface used to raise or lower an object. It is often referred to as a ramp.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object to a higher or lower position. The longer and less steep the slope, the easier it is to move the object.

3. What is the relationship between the height and length of an inclined plane?

The relationship between the height and length of an inclined plane is known as the mechanical advantage. The longer the length of the plane, the less force is needed to move the object, making the mechanical advantage higher.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the length of the plane by the height. For example, if the length of the plane is 10 meters and the height is 2 meters, the mechanical advantage would be 10/2 = 5.

5. What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes are commonly found in everyday objects such as ramps, stairs, and even slides. They are also used in larger structures like wheelchair ramps, escalators, and roller coasters. Inclined planes are also used in agriculture for plowing fields and in construction for moving heavy materials to higher levels.