I have a hard time with kinematics involving inclined planes

In summary: After that you should write down newton's second law for the two bodies. The system will be solved by finding the acceleration and the tension in the string.In summary, in this problem, two blocks of mass 3.00 kg and 6.00 kg are connected by a massless string over a frictionless pulley. The inclined plane is shaped like a triangle with both sides inclined at 35 degrees. Using the equation F = ma and assuming a convention of positive direction as the direction of acceleration, the tension and acceleration for each block can be calculated. By drawing a free body diagram and consistently applying the convention, the correct answer can be obtained.
devilish_wit

Homework Statement

Two blocks of mass m1 = 3.00 kg and m2 = 6.00 kg are connected by a massless string that passes over a frictionless pulley (see the figure below). The inclines are frictionless.

Image - https://www.webassign.net/serpse9/5-p-049.gif
5-p-049.gif

The inclined plane is shaped like a triangle with both sides inclined at 35 degrees.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For m1: Fnetx = ma ---> Fgx - T = ma ----> sin35(9.8m/s^2)(3kg) - T = 3kga
Equation for T: T = sin35(9.8m/s^2)(3kg) - 3kga

For m2: Fnetx = ma ---> Fgx - T = ma ----> sin35(9.8m/s^2)(6kg) - T = 6kga
Equation for T: T = sin35(9.8m/s^2)(6kg) - 6kga

Then I made them equal to each other in order to find acceleration but my answer ended up being wrong. Idk what I did wrong

Attachments

• 5-p-049.gif
    5-p-049.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 484
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not paying attention to your signs. For m1 the tension and the acceleration are in the same directon and for m2 the tension and the acceleration are in opposite directions. Assume the convention the anything uphill is positive and anything downhill is negative, i.e. the positive direction is the direction of the acceleration. Keeping the convention consistently, for m2 the acceleration is downhill, so anything downhill is positive and anything uphill is negative.

A diagram is always helpful

kuruman said:
You are not paying attention to your signs. For m1 the tension and the acceleration are in the same directon and for m2 the tension and the acceleration are in opposite directions. Assume the convention the anything uphill is positive and anything downhill is negative, i.e. the positive direction is the direction of the acceleration. Keeping the convention consistently, for m2 the acceleration is downhill, so anything downhill is positive and anything uphill is negative.

I went back to my problem and finally got the correct answer. Thank you so much!

You should draw a free body fiagram, which contains all the forces acting on each body, and an appropriate coordinate system

1. What are the key concepts of kinematics involving inclined planes?

The key concepts of kinematics involving inclined planes include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. How do I calculate displacement on an inclined plane?

To calculate displacement on an inclined plane, you can use the formula: displacement = length of inclined plane x sin(angle of inclination).

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed on an inclined plane?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of motion. On an inclined plane, velocity takes into account the direction of motion along the plane, while speed only measures how fast an object is moving along the plane.

4. How does acceleration change on an inclined plane?

Acceleration on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of inclination and the force of gravity. As the angle of inclination increases, the force of gravity acting on the object increases, resulting in a greater acceleration down the plane.

5. What is the relationship between force and motion on an inclined plane?

The force of gravity acting on an object on an inclined plane can be broken down into two components: the force acting parallel to the plane (which causes the object to accelerate down the plane) and the force acting perpendicular to the plane (which causes the object to stay on the plane). The net force on the object determines its motion on the inclined plane.