Kinematic equation problem -- A fountain shoots water out of the ground ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a fountain shooting water at a 40° angle with a horizontal velocity of 2 m/s and landing 3 meters away. The question is to find the maximum height the water reaches during this time. Two equations are used to solve for this, with the first method being correct and the second method incorrect due to impossible given conditions.
dragon-kazooie

Homework Statement

1. A fountain shoots water out of the ground at a 40° angle. It’s horizontal velocity is 2 m/s and the water lands 3 meters away. What is the maximum height that the water reaches during that time?

Homework Equations

Dy =vit + ½ at2

and

Vfy2 = Viy2 + 2ady

The Attempt at a Solution

First solve for the time in the air: t = dx /vx t = 3m/2m/s = 1.5s
Divide that in half to find the time at maximum height: t = 0.75s

Solve for initial vertical velocity:
Tan θ = Vy /Vx
Tan 40° = Vy /2m/s
Vy = 1.68 m/s

Now I get two different answers when I use different equations, and I don't see why. Using this one that I did in purple must be wrong, because it doesn't make sense for ½ at2 to be a larger value than vit and I get a negative number which can't be right. But I don't see where the mistake is! What am I doing wrong?

dy =vit + ½ at2
dy =1.68 × 0.75s + ½ -9.8m/s2 × (0.75s)2
dy = 1.26 - 2.75
dy = -1.49m

If I use this formula in blue I get a different final answer which seems more correct:
Vfy2 = Viy2 + 2ady
0 = 1.6782 + 2 × -9.8 × dy
0 = 2.816 + 2 × -9.8 × dy
-2.816 = -19.6 dy
0.143 = dy

Is the one in blue correct? What did I do wrong with the one in purple?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
@dragon-kazooie , your first method is correct. You got a crazy answer because the given conditions are impossible. There is no way that a jet of only 2m/s can reach 3m horizontally, even at 45 degrees.
Your second method appeared to work because you do not need the 3m range information, and you effectively ignored it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dragon-kazooie
Thank you @haruspex! That was driving me crazy!

1. How do you find the initial velocity of the water from the fountain?

The initial velocity of the water can be found by using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the water in meters.

2. What is the equation for calculating the time it takes for the water to reach its maximum height?

The equation for calculating the time it takes for the water to reach its maximum height is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the maximum height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. How can you determine the maximum height of the water from the fountain?

The maximum height of the water can be determined by using the formula h = v²/2g, where h is the maximum height in meters, v is the initial velocity of the water, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. Can the kinematic equations be used to calculate the range of the water from the fountain?

Yes, the range of the water from the fountain can be calculated using the formula R = v²sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range in meters, v is the initial velocity of the water, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. How does the mass of the water affect the kinematic equations in this problem?

The mass of the water does not affect the kinematic equations in this problem because in the absence of air resistance, the mass of the object does not affect its motion. Therefore, the equations for calculating the initial velocity, time, and maximum height of the water remain the same regardless of its mass.